corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Nuclear fuel harmless, apparently?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Nuclear fuel harmless, apparently?
DaveyLC

User status: Offline
17th Nov 09 at 12:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8338824.stm

quote:

Harnesses energy from the controlled splitting of atoms, releasing heat that is harvested to drive turbines.

quote:

Perceived as risky.

Out of all of the energy sources they refer to in that article I most certainly wouldnt refer to 'Nuclear' power as the harmless one!

As for being 'risky', mining coal is risky, picking up a piece of uranium could be construde as sucide.
John

17th Nov 09 at 12:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Have you heard of any nuclear power plant accidents recently?

I haven't, that's why it's percieved of as risky, it's very safe, disposing of the waste, although safe, is another matter.
DaveyLC

17th Nov 09 at 12:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just because there haven't be any accidents that doesnt make it 'harmless' it might make it relatively safe.

There havent been any accidently launched nuclear warheads but that doesnt make them 'harmless' does it?
Colin

17th Nov 09 at 12:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I thing there relativly safe & clean was of generating power.

I'd certainly have no problems working in one if thats the way thing go.

Anythings dangerous if theres not adequate control measures in place!!
John

17th Nov 09 at 12:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It does actually, they are as good as useless until they are launched as a nuclear weapon.
DaveyLC

17th Nov 09 at 12:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nuclear fuel is VERY VERY harmful as is the waste that indisputable.. Just becuse they are handling it safely it doesnt not mean it is harmless.

I can handle a firearm safely but its still a harmful weapon.
ed

17th Nov 09 at 13:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think I'd prefer to trust the expert's opinion over yours. If they say it's risky, then that's what it is. It's not like there's much chance of propaganda to get people to go pro-nuclear.
sand-eel

17th Nov 09 at 13:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Working in a nuclear powerplant is considered extremely safe, it even has less radiation inside than normal conditions outside
Marc

17th Nov 09 at 13:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nuclear power is the future.
oceansoul

17th Nov 09 at 13:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Marc

What he said.
Wind farms and all that are ok, but cant supply power on demand like a steam turbine can.
Ojc

17th Nov 09 at 14:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

Of course it is, and the sooner these ecomentalists realise this the better.
alan-g-w

17th Nov 09 at 14:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

DaveyLC

17th Nov 09 at 15:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ed
I think I'd prefer to trust the expert's opinion over yours. If they say it's risky, then that's what it is. It's not like there's much chance of propaganda to get people to go pro-nuclear.

No Propaganda? I hope thats sarcasm!

The government is SERIOUSLY pushing for Nuclear power.. Do you not watch the news?

There are several local councils who have put forward offers to 'host' waste sites because they will get paid shit loads of money for burying the waste in their town/area.

Considering a large proportion of our drinking water is pumped up from the water table you really dont want that shit in the ground.
Boycey

17th Nov 09 at 16:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by DaveyLC
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8338824.stm

quote:

Harnesses energy from the controlled splitting of atoms, releasing heat that is harvested to drive turbines.

quote:

Perceived as risky.

Out of all of the energy sources they refer to in that article I most certainly wouldnt refer to 'Nuclear' power as the harmless one!

As for being 'risky', mining coal is risky, picking up a piece of uranium could be construde as sucide.

It doesn't say that it's harmless energy. It says that is HARNESSES energy from the controlled splitting of atoms
DaveyLC

17th Nov 09 at 16:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Everyone fails at reading except you

[Edited on 17-11-2009 by DaveyLC]
sxibeast

17th Nov 09 at 16:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by sand-eel
Working in a nuclear powerplant is considered extremely safe

I can certainly second that! Been to a big plant up north and the health and safety measures and protocols are immense!

A couple of us were up there just to install something and we were nowhere near the main reactor, but were right next to the disposal facility. I asked what the chances of getting zapped by anything harmful were and they said none! The exposure levels set at powerstations are well below what H&S regs set as a safe limit.
jrsteeve

17th Nov 09 at 17:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Studied this a short while ago actually. Nuclear is the only viable option at present as nothing else comes close to offering a similar output for the investment. Wind, solar etc are a total waste of money until the tech has been developed to generate enough energy. It's the nuclear waste thats the main issue with nuclear power, dangerous stuff.
fred7

17th Nov 09 at 17:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Iam a welder on these so called "harmfull plants", they are sooooo much safer than normal coal/gas powerstation. Everything is checked 5 times, all readings are kept for years, any tiny difference in anything is shut down and checked 100%. To work on these takes ages u have to go thru all sorts of checks and ive also been babysat on site with 2 fully armed gaurds!! So my view is the sooner they start makin more nuclear the better!!
mattk

17th Nov 09 at 17:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

so what if its risky? we will never progress if we dont take risks!

imagine if the motor car was in development at the moment:

"yes we are going to put 5 humans in this totally independantly controlled steel box that will do 100mph in close proximity to other such vehicles and it has 50 litres of very highly volitile liquid on board"

is that not a risk? I think it is, so should we stick with horse and carts?
Ste
Premium Member

17th Nov 09 at 18:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How many people have you heard of this year dying just getting to work in the north sea getting oil or gas!

It is far less risk per unit of energy produced than most other forms of generation tbh

I would rather lose by a mile because i built my own car, than win by an inch because someone else built it for me.
Bart

17th Nov 09 at 18:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by DaveyLC
The government is SERIOUSLY pushing for Nuclear power.. Do you not watch the news?

Indeed they are and like most the other big developments that goes on around the world, there are always other factors taken into consideration, such as who's going to benefit.

Gordon Brown's brother (Andrew) is a nuclear power lobbyist and is head of media in France for over 50 power plants.

Theres more to it than meets the eye...

I personally agree with comments above, anything is dangerous without proper procedures in place, its just the level of damage possible when things go wrong
Tiger

17th Nov 09 at 20:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nuclear Power is fine, the Americans even use the depleated uranium / nuclear waste in their shells and warheads Go America! Leave a legacy of birth defects and cancer everywhere you wish to invade.

[Edited on 17-11-2009 by Tiger]

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Nuclear fuel harmless, apparently? 24 database queries in 0.0161819 seconds