corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » University Dissertations?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author University Dissertations?
ste_p23

User status: Offline
18th Nov 09 at 12:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Anyone else done one and just think they are just utter wank?
mwg

18th Nov 09 at 12:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nah I went out and got a job so didn't bother with Uni.
ste_p23

18th Nov 09 at 12:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have a job also
jmacd

18th Nov 09 at 13:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My gf is doing hers at the mo,did mine a couple of years ago-a complete waste of time
Simon

18th Nov 09 at 13:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

IThey are a fair bit of work, think mine was 12,000 words but it depends what you are writing on, you are at uni because you want to be there, dissertations are supposed to be an opportunity for you to write and research something that interests you. I wrote mine couple years ago now, and have another to do in the next year of my diploma
ste_p23

18th Nov 09 at 13:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Simon
dissertations are supposed to be an opportunity for you to write and research something that interests you

I chose a subject i was very intrested in but the matter of the fact is that without any relevant theories to go with it it was pointless! That means you have to go with something that has a large amount on theories linked with it which are usally the more un intresting subjects

[Edited on 18-11-2009 by ste_p23]

[Edited on 18-11-2009 by ste_p23]
Dom

18th Nov 09 at 13:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My dissertation (was on third-octave reverberation) was practical, so only had a 4000 write up and then obviously produce a product. So wasn't too bad on that side of things and it was pretty interesting. But it was well out of the league for any of the lecturers on my BA Music Tech course and most of them didn't have a clue (was more suited for the BSC Music Tech course), so i had little help with it.
And yeah, it got very dull after a while especially when things didn't go right - had to wait months to get equipment, results where shite, development of the third-octave filters were pap. The list went on.
ed

18th Nov 09 at 14:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Did such a good job with mine they're paying me to research the idea further
Toby
Premium Member

18th Nov 09 at 14:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my dad has just one for 85,000 i think, to be fair he was given 5 years to complete but could only submit it and seek advice in one educational year
Jill
Premium Member

18th Nov 09 at 16:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mine was interesting and I got a first for it BUT it has absolutely no relevance to the job sector I am in now! I'm a biomedical scientist in cytopathology and my dissertation was titled "the effect of environmental enrichment on the growth rate of young pigs"

They are hard work, but try and stick with it. Try to write a plan or something so you can target when to get things done imo Then as you tick each thing off you'll see how well it's coming together

JILL

[Edited on 18-11-2009 by Jill]
Shell
Premium Member

18th Nov 09 at 18:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Toby
my dad has just one for 85,000 i think, to be fair he was given 5 years to complete but could only submit it and seek advice in one educational year

Will that not be for his masters/Phd?
Shell
Premium Member

18th Nov 09 at 18:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jill
Mine was interesting and I got a first for it BUT it has absolutely no relevance to the job sector I am in now! I'm a biomedical scientist in cytopathology and my dissertation was titled "the effect of environmental enrichment on the growth rate of young pigs"

They are hard work, but try and stick with it. Try to write a plan or something so you can target when to get things done imo Then as you tick each thing off you'll see how well it's coming together

JILL

How is that as a job? I got into 3 uni's to do Biomedical science then was told i'd test urine for a lifetime and was hugely put off
LukeD

18th Nov 09 at 20:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Was such a ball ache. did mine in 2weeks solid with plenty of proplus. Did mine on Asylum Seekers.
deano87

18th Nov 09 at 20:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mine was pretty easy tbh, only 6k words or something.
IntaCepta

18th Nov 09 at 23:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

F*** knows how I passed Uni.
All i remember about my disso was leaving it till 8days before the deadline before I started. Was on redbull non stop for those 8 days with minimal sleep. Eventually knew it was never going to be completed by the deadline, so reduced my redbull intake got more sleep and handed in the dissertation 1 week late. Came out with a 2:1 after being penalised.

It was the biggest load (12k words) of crap I have ever written!

Uni is only good for getting drunk and getting into debt!!
ste_p23

18th Nov 09 at 23:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Amen to that!
Jill
Premium Member

19th Nov 09 at 15:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Shelley
quote:
Originally posted by Jill

JILL

How is that as a job? I got into 3 uni's to do Biomedical science then was told i'd test urine for a lifetime and was hugely put off

I personally think it's great- every day is different, but I guess it depends what speciality you work in etc. As said, I am in cytopathology- the study of diseases at a cellular level. The main basis of our work is the cervical screening programme but we also deal with non-gynaecological specimens such as urines, bronchial washings/brushings, pleural fluids, fine needle aspirations etc etc- lots of different things! I guess the person who said that about testing urines for life have have meant biochemistry or microbiology but even those two departments get other specimen types too.

JILL
ed

19th Nov 09 at 15:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I can't wait to write my 80,000 word dissertation in 3 years. I just found some previous ones, they are books.
Toby
Premium Member

19th Nov 09 at 15:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Shelley
quote:
Originally posted by Toby

Will that not be for his masters/Phd?

for a phd did 25k for his masters.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » University Dissertations? 23 database queries in 0.0144360 seconds