corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Opinions am I mad...

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Opinions am I mad...
Paul_J

User status: Offline
3rd Dec 09 at 00:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by gavin18787
Tough choice, not sure what I would do

This vid always made me want one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEl6mHHfCpA

Paul I assume your insurance is better then mine but I would go uk as they are a hell of a lot cheaper to insure.

In my case UK = £750 JDM = £1550

awesome vid! that dc2 looked quick!

Well the one I'm tempted by is the one james posted up earlier, it is basically built for track, coilovers, bushes, braces, r888s, manifold, intake, exhaust... imo I could buy that and leave it alone...

I'd prob buy some standard 16's with standard road tyres for every day use, then i'd be happy.

I haven't checked insurance yet, but was quoted £850 f/c for my s2000... which are known to be notoriously bad...

Would prob only go tpft for a car worth £3.5-£4k. 25 yrs old with max ncb and no points - hopefully it wouldn't be too bad.

2 things I think i'll do, go see one in person / go out for a drive in one and talk to my parents when I see them this weekend.

Basically the only reason I want to keep the s2000 is because it makes me look flash I'm sure a dc2 with a few breathing mods could do the s2000 in a straight line (my old 106 gti gives my s2000 a good run up to 110mph).

I just played forza 3 (not scientific I know), but although I felt like I was going quicker in the s2000 lap after lap (and having more fun), I was actually lapping quicker in the dc2! - Now this is my point, when you're talking (relatively low power cars like sub 300 bhp) a good fwd car with lsd imo will beat a rwd car on track... This is just because the handling will be equal, the understeer will be minimal... it all comes down to the driver wanting to push themselves / the car...

Fact... a FWD LSD based car is 100 times easier to push to the limit safely, than a RWD car... Fact.

As such, I can imagine me being better in the dc2 on track... despite my best efforts and many close calls on track in my s2000
Paul_J

3rd Dec 09 at 00:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AK
how about this one - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulRu-9CANmk

slipping clutch

that's a point, I'd fucking hate that to happen if I bought one... I only just bought a new (£850 clutch) for my s2000.

In ref to the crash, he was pretty lazy behind the wheel.
Adam_B

3rd Dec 09 at 00:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

why did you sell your 106 Paul?
Paul_J

3rd Dec 09 at 00:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Adam_B

To get something more grown up and sensible for the commute Although back then i was doing over 90 miles a day commute... now i'm only doing 39.

Also I felt the short wheel base of the 106 made it a bit unsteady at speeds over 110 mph on track.

Plus the 1.6 wasn't going to allow much more power to be given without spending a lot....
Butler

3rd Dec 09 at 01:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Id disagree with your FWD/RWD statement that FWD is easier to control. I think you would too if you have driven an Elise or an MX5. The thing with your S2000 is its heavy - more unpredictable.
AK

3rd Dec 09 at 08:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

S2000 is heavy ???

I see where Paul is coming from... you CAN get to the limit more easily in a FWD car... Understeer at 100mph is easier to cope with than oversteer at 100mph.
gavin18787
Premium Member

3rd Dec 09 at 09:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Paul_J
quote:
Originally posted by Adam_B

Also I felt the short wheel base of the 106 made it a bit unsteady at speeds over 110 mph on track.

Il agree here I was hitting 130 on the clocks down the back straight at bedford yesterday and its scary as fuck espicially getting on the brakes at the end of it

Drives supercharged Tec with torque
Butler

3rd Dec 09 at 10:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AK
S2000 is heavy ???

Dont know why thats funny? Between 100-200kg heavier than the integra I think. Cant find any official stats. An S2k is about 500kg more than Pauls old 106 though so was always going to be a handful.
gavin18787
Premium Member

3rd Dec 09 at 10:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

s2000 = 1260kg

DC2 teggy = 1101kg

106gti = 950kg

Taken from evo magazine I had on desk

Ojc

3rd Dec 09 at 10:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

When are we going to get a report about Bedford, Gav?
gavin18787
Premium Member

3rd Dec 09 at 10:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

vids and pics been uploaded atm

Apart from a shitload of rain it was good fun

AK

3rd Dec 09 at 11:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not that heavy then... but I suppose too heavy for a wee honda buzz box.

Thats about the same weight as my lightweight 2dr Impreza (standard from the factory)
Paul_J

3rd Dec 09 at 11:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeh but you just hit nail on head AK... it's just a N/A lump with no torque and still relatively low power.

imprezza has torque and F/I to power its lardy arse along.
SetH

3rd Dec 09 at 11:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A classic impreza is hardly lardy.
gavin18787
Premium Member

3rd Dec 09 at 11:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Low down power does help alot. Thats the best thing about the saxo over the civic is not having to make sure you have it fully wound up coming out of corners.

Mine makes 26lbft more then the civic did on the rollers and its 0.4 a litre down on capacity

AK

3rd Dec 09 at 12:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

mine is lighter, more bhp and has more torque and adjustable 4wd - Seems a no brainer to me

Classic Impreza STi (with DCCD)

You can basically have a RWD car when you want some fun, or a 4wd that lends it self to FWD power understeer when you feel like it too.
Ojc

3rd Dec 09 at 12:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Low down power does help alot. Thats the best thing about the saxo over the civic is not having to make sure you have it fully wound up coming out of corners.

Mine makes 26lbft more then the civic did on the rollers and its 0.4 a litre down on capacity

A CTR only has 100lb/ft of torque? Is that right?
Fad

3rd Dec 09 at 12:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Running costs and MPG is also a concern of Pauls as he will be driving it to work most days. As much as a Scooby would be a good choice all round, I personally dont think it will suit his criteria.
Adam_B

3rd Dec 09 at 12:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ojc
quote:

A CTR only has 100lb/ft of torque? Is that right?

Im sure the CTR is more like 140-150 lb/ft
Fad

3rd Dec 09 at 12:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Gavin's made a really low torque figure (possibly due to the stright through pipe)but felt great on the road. Its the same with any RR the torque figures should always be taken with a pinch of salt.
Paul_J

3rd Dec 09 at 12:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I must admit Gavin's CTR felt slow to me... there was a change in noise, but we didn't feel like we were going anywhere, when he took me out in it...

this is absolutely sexual...
AK

3rd Dec 09 at 12:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you ever watch the best motoring vids on YouTube?
AK

3rd Dec 09 at 13:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

donk know the outcomes, havent watched yet

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aR-uUBfGEfU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8zz9_ZMlYk

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Opinions am I mad... 24 database queries in 0.2914460 seconds