corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Car went dead last night

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Car went dead last night
alan-g-w

User status: Offline
3rd Dec 09 at 10:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was driving about last night when my lights started getting brighter with the acceleration of the engine. I went to get petrol, then when I came back out to drive off the car wouldn't start. Am I right in thinking that since the lights were getting brighter and dimmer with the engine speed it's a problem with the alternator? Also, when the engine's running and I give it little revs there's a noise like a knackered bearing when it's on over run.

Cheers for any input.

[Edited on 03-12-2009 by alan-g-w]
Richardhhha

3rd Dec 09 at 12:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah it does sound like the alternator has died.. Can you get the car started tho as you can chek wether its the battery not holding charge or the alternator..
alan-g-w

3rd Dec 09 at 13:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Aye mate, charging it as we speak. How would I check for sure if it's the battery or the alternator?
grez12

3rd Dec 09 at 14:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

start it up then turn on all electrics stereo/lights/hazards/heaters ect and then remove the battery if the car still stays running for more than 5mins with no battery then the alternator works fine if it cuts out the alternator is duff worked everytime for me

but i would say it will cut out as it sounds like alternator
Richardhhha

3rd Dec 09 at 15:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

or how about just putting a volt meter accross the batters when everything is running (light, heaters, heated rear screen, wipers ect) then if the battery is charging at 14.5v then its a good alternator if it charges at 12 then duff alternator
grez12

4th Dec 09 at 01:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Richardhhha
or how about just putting a volt meter accross the batters when everything is running (light, heaters, heated rear screen, wipers ect) then if the battery is charging at 14.5v then its a good alternator if it charges at 12 then duff alternator

yea thats the propa way BUT my ways cheaper if you dont have a tester which most average joes dont, cant go buying testers theres a reccession on atm lol
tom130691
Premium Member

4th Dec 09 at 01:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

£5 at most for a mulitmeter lol
alan-g-w

4th Dec 09 at 18:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers lads, gonna have a look at it tomorrow.
grez12

5th Dec 09 at 01:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by saxo_tom
£5 at most for a mulitmeter lol

times are hard matey

New Poll