corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Corsa B 12v not starting

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Corsa B 12v not starting
peterg

User status: Offline
27th Dec 09 at 22:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have a Vauxhall Corsa B 1.0 12v. The car has been left standing for 3 months and will now not start. Originally I thought the battery had expired so I got a new one and this did not change matters. I then changed the starter motor for a new one, and the car is still not starting.

The starter motor turns the engine, but only by one or two rotations. While it is doing this, it makes a very loud squealing screeching sound (no it's not the fan belt making this sound).

Before the new (taken from a scrapped car) starter motor was installed it was checked to be working. I have run out of ideas of what could be wrong with it? Does anybody know?
Ste M

27th Dec 09 at 23:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You don't have anything else obviously wrong with it do you? Oil leaks maybe or anything?
Nic Barnes

27th Dec 09 at 23:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

engine could be seized.
Ste M

27th Dec 09 at 23:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Could be seized. But if you have an engine leak, via the oil pressure switch like mine, it could of slowly drained of oil.
peterg

27th Dec 09 at 23:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks for the replies so far.
No there is nothing obviously wrong with it. I was expecting it to start first time as before I bought it it had been left standing for around a year.
It is up on axle stands at the moment from the changing of the starter motor. As it's up on stands, we put it in 3rd year and tried starting it, and the wheels rotated forwards - surely this would mean that it's not seized?
Nic Barnes

27th Dec 09 at 23:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if its not turning over quickly, try jump cables to another car? turn it over by hand and if it feels ok it?
peterg

27th Dec 09 at 23:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Basically when the key is turned, there is a fairly loud shrieking sound, the engine turns over at least one rotation and then the shrieking stops and so does everything else, the motor just buzzes.

Jump starting has been tried and this did not help.

New Poll