corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Electric device amp/watts/power rating question

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Electric device amp/watts/power rating question
moka

User status: Offline
4th Jan 10 at 17:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Need some help please people.

I have a thin client here that says it needs an input of DC12v and 1.2a.

I dont have the original DC adapter but do have a few spares, the closest one to it is a 12v 2a. I have tested it for 30mins and it runs just fine.

I want to know if i can carry on using the device safely? Will it only use the 1.2a thats required?

Help and a small explanation would be most helpful
C2RL R

4th Jan 10 at 18:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yes it will be fine. it's the equipment that is connected to the adaptor that draws the current. it only draws its rated load unless there is a fault in which case it is probably fused accordingly. if it was the other way round and the adaptor was rated lower than the equipment connected to it, it would eventually burn out.
moka

4th Jan 10 at 18:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by C2RL R
yes it will be fine. it's the equipment that is connected to the adaptor that draws the current. it only draws its rated load unless there is a fault in which case it is probably fused accordingly. if it was the other way round and the adaptor was rated lower than the equipment connected to it, it would eventually burn out.

I did think this, just needed second opinions.

Thanking you
ed

4th Jan 10 at 19:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It will draw the amount of current it needs, what the rating on the adapter means is the max rating for it. If you had it the other way round then you could risk damaging the adapter
oceansoul

4th Jan 10 at 19:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As the others have said. The adaptor can supply a max of 2A @ 12VDC

New Poll