corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Cat D?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Cat D?
MarkSport

User status: Offline
5th Jan 10 at 00:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If a car is a cat D write off,Is there anyway of checking what it was wrote off for?
Root

5th Jan 10 at 00:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

im not sure but cat D is usually nothing serious at all
ed

5th Jan 10 at 00:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Wouldn't an HPI check state what kind of damage there was?
MarkSport

5th Jan 10 at 00:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well i got the hpi report but it just says ....was involved in a cat d in 2004.nothing else there
Graeme
Premium Member

5th Jan 10 at 01:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No, but ask the person and look about, at obvios things, front end or rear end but then again some cars can become cat d with light damage but if the air bags go off that can cost alot!
davieslim

5th Jan 10 at 02:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

contact the insurance company who wrote it off, but in most cases the cat d's really simple stuff
sc0ott

5th Jan 10 at 09:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

there will be a report from some guy that assessed it. once it has a VIC marker against it (you can check this by entering the number on some website, cant remember though). once the VIC is set it then needs to go through a VIC check which is done by VOSA. they check the car against the report to make sure its road worthy and all components are working. i doubt they will pass the car if there was structural damage
Eck
Premium Member

5th Jan 10 at 09:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I didn't think a Cat D needed VOSA checking it? I thought that was Cat C.
Fro

5th Jan 10 at 09:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Correct Eck. Only Cat C's Need a VIC check and i think its actually included on the V5 that it has been Cat C.

And the VIC check does check the car was repaired correctly it merely checks the identification of the vehicle to make sure it's not a ringer.

[Edited on 05-01-2010 by fro-dizzle]
DaveyLC

5th Jan 10 at 09:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

CAT D is light damage, generally cosmetic. Nothing to worry about.

CAT C is heavier damage, normally requiring repair to major chassis components. Recently the DVLA have started publishing this information on the V5C.
gavin18787
Premium Member

5th Jan 10 at 10:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yer if its D it will have no records

Only can go on what you are told and if they have any pictures

You can tell with a trained eye though if you look hard

Drives supercharged Tec with torque
tomo2k9

5th Jan 10 at 10:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my car is a cat d i think it was rear quarter damage but need to take it to have that test and havent got a clue what has to be done or what i need to make sure is done to the car so it passes anyone >?
DaveyLC

5th Jan 10 at 10:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

CAT D does not require a 'test' and its not a test anyway.. VIC means Vehicle Identity Check, they just check that the chassis number is correct and un-tampered with. to make sure its not a ringer.
sc0ott

5th Jan 10 at 11:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

CAT C is where the cost to repair is more than the value of the car but they ask if there are chassis or bodyshell mods that are different from its standard spec.

my corsa was declared CAT C because of the parts were based on brand new ones but the damaged ones on the car were minor (Missing toe bar cover, etc). my bootlid mechanism stopped the boot from opening. if i turned up to the VIC with that unrepaired then it would fail. they dont just check the identity they check its road worthy and that all doors open etc but you do have to tell them if you have changed anything to the bodyshell or chassis before hand
Gez G

5th Jan 10 at 17:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cat D can be as minor as stolen recovered.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Cat D? 24 database queries in 0.0139279 seconds