corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Bike Day: Advice Needed Please!!

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Bike Day: Advice Needed Please!!
Jonny P

User status: Offline
14th Jan 10 at 13:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Right, basically i need some advice about purchasing a new bike.

I'm doing a triathlon soon and require a decent bike to do the 20km bike ride leg. Theory dictates that I should buy a road bike which I would quite happily do but I doubt I would ever use it again after the triathlon.

I will keep using the bike after I've done the triathlon and would be cycling to work a couple of times a week when its a bit warmer aswell as going for some bike rides with my mate who has just bought a new GT Agressor XC1 Mountain Bike. I honestly think a mountain bike would be my best option but I need some recommendations as to what would be a good bike to use for everyday as well as a little skirmish up in the hills. My mate mentioned something about lock out forks?? so that when i use it on the road i can lock the forks and it will be like having no suspension on the front? Not sure what this is all about and im a complete newbie to bikes so any advice would be much appreciated..

Also, I've not really thought about a budget but I would say approx £350 for the bike alone?

Thanks for reading and sorry for the essay!

Jon
Half Pint

14th Jan 10 at 13:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just buya new set of wheels and stick road tyres on.... along with a sproket more orientated to road conditions....

alternatively see if you can borrow one from somwhere.
jase77

14th Jan 10 at 13:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just hire a road bike for the day
C2RL R

14th Jan 10 at 14:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you'd have to be one hell of a swimmer/runner if you plan on doing the cycling stage on a mountain bike. if you are only spending £350is you will end up with a heavy bike and you won't have any money left to change tyres, gearing etc. i reckon you should spend your £350 on a second hand road bike. maybe also try leisure lakes and see if they will lend you one. they are pretty good like that at my local store in Bury. They have a store in preston which might not be too far for you. you'd have to leave a deposit of course but they should let you take one for a weekend to try before you buy. then simply return it.
Jonny P

14th Jan 10 at 18:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cool thanks for the Advice.

The problem with hiring one for the day is that i've never had a road bike and they seem hard to ride so would want to get used to the bike im using before i do the event.
C2RL R

14th Jan 10 at 18:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

buy one second hand then sell it afterward. you'll no doubt get your money back so long as you don't pay over the odds in the first place.
Ian_GTI

14th Jan 10 at 18:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by C2RL R
buy one second hand then sell it afterward. you'll no doubt get your money back so long as you don't pay over the odds in the first place.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Bike Day: Advice Needed Please!! 23 database queries in 0.1593468 seconds