corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » New House Warrenty

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author New House Warrenty
A2H GO

User status: Offline
13th Jan 10 at 11:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Me and my partner bought a new build in August last year. We were told when we bought the property that we would be covered for 12 months by the builder for any of the usual shrinkage cracks that may appear as well as any other faults or leaks etc that may develop.

Following this we would have the NHBC for 10 years for any more serious problems that may arise.

Over the past 6 months we have been writing down when cracks have appeared and the odd bits and bobs that need sorting like a few screws missing in the kitchen fixings, nail pops on a couple of the ceilings, noisey boiler that needs a new part etc. The cracks have only really started now since the cold weather and we have the heating on which we understand. We thought it would be pointless calling them everytime a new crack appeared as they would be forever coming out so were originally going to wait till spring when the weather changes.

I was bored this morning so i called them to ask them to come and sort the problems all in one go and they said we are no longer covered. They explained the 12 months started when the property was completed, which was last December, therefore the property was empty for the first 8 months of the year. This was not explained when we bought the house. Some of the other house's on our street have only recently been occupied, does that mean they get no cover at all, so as soon as they switch the heating on for the first time and the cracks appear they have to live with it?

No doubt there is something in the small print that we have signed but is there anything we can do?

[Edited on 13-01-2010 by CorsAsh-Sport]
_Allan_

13th Jan 10 at 13:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It should be from when you complete and get the keys. I don't see how they can get out of that if it's onoccupied for 8 months?. Unless it was by owner choice.

We get 2 years CS from Bellway and the the normal 10 years NHBC.
We have pretty much got most of the snag list items sorted and are just waiting for the last 3 things to be sorted this week. We were told that small cracks will not be looked at as shrinkage, expansion is common in newly plastered walls. Any major cracks they will deal with as an if/when they appear.

If your unsure of the contract then contact your solicitors, as they should also have gone through the contract with you and explained any clauses to you if you were unsure.

[Edited on 13-01-2010 by _Allan_]
AndyKent

13th Jan 10 at 13:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd agree - contact your solicitor.

I can sort of see what the builder is saying - they don't want the maintenance to just drag on and on - but it should have been made a bit clearer tbh.
Daniel_Corsa
Premium Member

13th Jan 10 at 13:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Should be from day you get the keys, not the final build day.

Ring trading standards to check for sure.

April '06' Corsasport Feature Car | Aug '08' Total Vauxhall Feature Car | Spring '09' Fast Car Feature Car
jrsteeve

13th Jan 10 at 16:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if you've bought direct from the builder then it should be 12 months from legal completion, not build completion. Quote trading standards and they'll soon back down. I'd have the boiler fixed before anything else though as they're not cheap!
Pablo

14th Jan 10 at 08:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I had loads of problems too, allot of mine never got sorted, very annoying
Toby
Premium Member

14th Jan 10 at 11:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

speak to the NHBC and the builder will sort it for you then.
A2H GO

14th Jan 10 at 12:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers Guys, i had a nosey round and found this on Lovell(the builders) website:

http://www.lovell.co.uk/New-homes-for-sale/Post-completion-customer-care-and-warranties/menu-id-112

'Lovell provides a two-year warranty with your new home, and enforces any warranty provided by the manufacturers for the first year of occupation. Our customer care department is on hand to offer you advice and guidance. '

There is no mention of not being covered if the property is bought through shared ownership and it states from occupation, not completion of build.

They have arranged a 'final' meeting next friday to come and sort out any problems, i would imagine its so they can get us to sign something to say they are no longer responsible for the maintainence work as they said on the phone they want all the houses signed off before the end of April. At the end of the day thats not our problem and the website clearly states 2 years from occupation.
jrsteeve

15th Jan 10 at 11:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dude get it in writing that it's from purchase completion, will save you alot of hassle should something else go. The warranty shouldn't be issued on build completion unless immediately occupied. Check when the shareholder took ownership too, and whether they have any weight over the builder.

New Poll