corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Anyone know much about gearbox's?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Anyone know much about gearbox's?
jamesw

User status: Offline
20th Jan 10 at 17:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

99% sure evans halshaw are trying to fob me off here.

Me and gf looking at buying an 04 hyundai coupe as shared car. Took if for a test drive and grinded twice for me changing down into 2nd.

Due for another test drive later this week but they claiming nowt wrong with it. They reckon could only get it to grind when doing 50mph in 5th and changing down into 2nd (clutch in fully both times). Now im pretty sure when I was test driving it, it was well below 50 but ill withhold judgment as im now used to driving a 1.4 tigra.

My point is any car I have drived (even my turbo corsa with 6 speed) has never grinded on me no matter if I give it stick etc. To me even shifting from 5th @ 50 down to 2nd it still shouldnt crunch? I know the tigra doesnt.

As it doesnt happen in any gear in guessing the syncro for 2nd is duff?
ed

20th Jan 10 at 17:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If it grinds then it means that the synchronizer isn't doing it's job properly. They tend not to fuck up on their own either, usually due to bad/aggressive gear shifts with power going through the input shaft.
DAZ1985

20th Jan 10 at 17:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

syncro for 2nd is also the syncro for 1st

stay clear imo otherwise i see its a warrenty issue down the line and i doubt they'd cough up for a new box
Ben G

20th Jan 10 at 17:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

a gearbox working fine should only grind when being shoved into gear too quickly.
K3 VMU

20th Jan 10 at 17:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

a gearbox should never grind unless u arent using the clutch
jamesw

20th Jan 10 at 17:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cheers chaps - only got 36k on the clock as well so guessing its beed ragged all over. Will tell them to shove it tomoz and start looking for another.

Cheers
Root

20th Jan 10 at 17:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my gearbox only grinds when I accidentally don't dip the clutch enough, but you said you did so something must be wrong

[Edited on 20-01-2010 by Root]
jamesw

20th Jan 10 at 17:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was doubting myself tbh however since the guy said they were able to replicate the issue themselves but class it as "normal" ive decided not to waste my time. Going to look at another tomoz.

Cheers
ed

20th Jan 10 at 18:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by K3 VMU
a gearbox should never grind unless u arent using the clutch
Reverse sometimes grinds when the reverse idler engages because the gears aren't constantly meshed and not many cars have a synchronizer on reverse.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Anyone know much about gearbox's? 23 database queries in 0.0126920 seconds