corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » VW GTi

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author VW GTi
djgritt
Premium Member

User status: Offline
27th Feb 10 at 07:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm after info on a couple of models, I think there are likely to be people who have experience of them here...

After info regarding economy, reliablity, common faults etc

We are getting the missus a newer car, and 2 of the models we are considering are;

Mk4 Golf GTi-T
Polo GTi 1.6 16v
t_benn_1

27th Feb 10 at 08:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Get on edition38 mate and do a search.

How much you got to spend?
taylorboosh

27th Feb 10 at 08:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i had a mk 4 gti, 53 plate on 50k miles, loved it when i had it, always got loads of good comments, get as late a model as you can as they have a k03s turbo which is bigger. mine was stage two mapped, turbo back stainless, cai, forge 007p there was other bits and bobs but i cant remember, it made 230 bhp and was rapid........but mapping will emphasize any issues you have so they need sorting first

complimentary pics

taylorboosh

27th Feb 10 at 08:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

to give you an idea i got 4300 for mine in nov, fro only got about that for an anni a few weeks back, depends what some ones willing to pay
Fro

27th Feb 10 at 08:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Morning Mate,

Mk4 Gti turbos came with a few different engines, the main three are:

AGU-(ko3 turbo) 150bhp remaps to around 180 has larger ports in the head and is usually the choice for people that want to build a big spec engine.(pre 2001) came with 5 speed GB.

AUM-(ko3s turbo) - came with a 150 bhp map but can be mapped to just over 200 as they have a slightly better turbo.(2001 onwards) think they only came with 5speed GB but not 100% on this.

AUQ-(ko3s turbo) came with 180bhp as standard and will also map to just over 200. This engine came in the later gti's once the anniversaries were released (2002 onwards) also came with 6 speed box.

Anniversaries were the highest spec gti's came with bigger brakes, black headlining and quite a few other internal and external extras. By far the best out of the box as lowered on a set of springs they look perfect.

I had an anni running just over 200 bhp and normal driving would see me with around 30mpg on a motorway jaunt it would hit about 40mpg on average.

Engine wise they are pretty bullet proof if they have been looked after. Coil packs are a common problem and the only one i had relating to the engine(only had 1 go in 2 years which is pretty good) I always carried a spare in the boot as they're simple to swap.

Window regulators can fail but mine were fine, bushes (wishbone/ARB/rear beam) can cause noises so make sure everything sounds ok on a test drive. Also full lock the wheel and turn to make sure there are no clunks as this can be bush related.

If it's been lowered make sure there are no noises from the CV joints.

Can't think of anything else at the moment as I've just woken up

When looking at both see if you can get someone with VAG-COM to go with you as its invaluable and you can check for faults etc.

Not too clued up on the polo's but any more mk4 questions let me know and I will try to help

Couple pics of my old one. exterior was standard apart from grill coilovers and tints.

Fro

27th Feb 10 at 08:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Wow i didnt realise i wrote that much, hope it makes sense
taylorboosh

27th Feb 10 at 08:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

fro
taylorboosh

27th Feb 10 at 08:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

bit out on your figuers mate, k03 is about 190-195, k03s tops out at 230ish with mods, 210ish with a stage 1 map and 007p alone
Fro

27th Feb 10 at 10:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was being conservative with them
djgritt
Premium Member

27th Feb 10 at 19:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers, will look at E38 when I get back home next week.

How are the Golfs to live with everyday? It'd be unlikely to see masses of fettling tbh, probably lowering, exhaust/intake and a mild map (it will be for the missus's daily use and for me at weekends to keep the mileage off the 6)

Ideally, I'd prefer the Polo, as its cheaper to insure and there would be no on-boost fuel drinking but, I'm a bit hesitant, they apparently suffer from Gearbox bearing failure, and if they go completely it is a unique to the GTi part, so, pricey...
Fro

27th Feb 10 at 19:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Golf was fine to live with everday, very comfy etc.

6 speed boxes on the Golf sometimes shear inside so you lose gears. (I lost 1st and 2nd) Didnt have any warning signs either. But you can use the boxes from the leons/octavias etc. Its not too common though

Have a look on uk-mkivs.net too

Edit: The polo gti's came with OEM xenons but no golf gti came with them. Heard problems about headlight discolouration on the polo's which is expensive to change as there are not many about.

[Edited on 27-02-2010 by fro-dizzle]

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » VW GTi 23 database queries in 0.1237042 seconds