corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Disputing an MOT failure

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Disputing an MOT failure
JayCarr

User status: Offline
6th Mar 10 at 13:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As above, has anyone disputed an MOT failure before? Is it worth it or will it just be a big hassle that wont get overturned anyway?
shane 08

6th Mar 10 at 13:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i have they chucket me owt the mot center and my mate lol.

took it first time faild on 5 things left it at garage to be fixed went back next day for mot the faild it on 15 more things! it hadnt moved and was the same guy moting the car is that bull shit or what? so i rang vosa but they couldnt do anything so not realy worth the hassal mate
Mark.W

6th Mar 10 at 13:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Take it else where mate not worth the hassle like Shane said.
JayCarr

6th Mar 10 at 13:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

really

Its failed on 2 things, one ive checked and is right. The other has nothing wrong with it.

Nearside steering arm has relative movement at its fixings.

Well i checked the offside steering arm and its no different to the nearside. I've bought the part that they said it needs and now ive checked it, it doesn't need replacing.

Can you take i tto another test center or will they know that its failed on these things?
SportBoy

6th Mar 10 at 13:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just take it to another test station to get there opinion of it ie put it on ramps to check it . then you will know if they are having your leg off.
sand-eel

6th Mar 10 at 13:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Depends what the failure is...ages ago my dad took a hillman imp for an MOT and it failed on the horn not working and excessively corroded brake lines even though they were a few weeks old, just had some rust coloured mud on them .
Took it back "beep beep" the horn worked as the guy didn't know how to operate it wiped the mud off, guy "oh right aye well" PASS.
mikenoncorsa

6th Mar 10 at 13:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just nip it to VOSA, they will check. MOT laws and reasons for failure are are pain tho. Alot comes down to testers discretion etc. He may have made a genuine error or you could be wrong?
shane_o

6th Mar 10 at 14:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

on your astra? play in the rack ie inner tie rods? or is it something different? they usually have a little play from standard depends on knowledge of the car as to weather it would pass somewhere else.
you would not belive the ammount of corsa d's coming back for failing top mounts at other garages which is infact a part of the disighn.
JayCarr

6th Mar 10 at 14:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I could be wrong, but i've had both front wheels off and played around with the steering arms. Each side has the same amount of movement.

They told me to buy the arm that the track rod end screws onto and the other end goes into the rack. The only movement is from the track rod end ball joint which it is meant to do anyway is it not? The actual track rod end is fine, and the ball joint too.

This is a Vauxhall Dealership BTW that have failed it.
mikenoncorsa

6th Mar 10 at 14:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you would not belive the ammount of corsa d's coming back for failing top mounts at other garages which is infact a part of the disighn.

Haha, yep. Had a couple of those!!
SportBoy

6th Mar 10 at 14:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

with the engine running there shouldnt be any play in the inner rack end, and i cant say ive seen a special notice at work letting it pass with play (your are allowed alittle play but they can fail if it is excessive)

[Edited on 06-03-2010 by SportBoy]
shane_o

6th Mar 10 at 14:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ah i see, the track rod itself shouldnt have any play in it at all, the play being worse on one side is probably because of that, the inner ones have a minimal ammount of play as standard but they do get worse and can be failed, i would question why they failed one side when the other is the same, or put a track rod end on the side that failed and see what they think?

and yea mike its begining to get old, not sure why there isnt a note on the mot system fot this, if you do a early fiesta it tells you not to fail it for exactly the same desighn.
JayCarr

6th Mar 10 at 14:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Play as in, in and out, or front of car to back? Or a bit of both? I'll go give it a try.

SportBoy i take it you're an MOT tester?
SportBoy

6th Mar 10 at 14:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yes jay .. tbh if i was you id just take it to another garage for a second opinion least you will know they if they are right or not .

ps in and out play of the inner rack end (if thats what we are talking about )

[Edited on 06-03-2010 by SportBoy]
JayCarr

6th Mar 10 at 14:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah thats what i was trying to describe I'll go give it a go.

The movement at the TRE is just around the ball joint. On the arm theres a flat section that you can get a grip onto to rotate the arm. If you do that it rotates front to back on the rubber joint near the hub. But both sides do exactly the same thing. If i can't see any more movement with the engine on i'll take it somewhere else to have a quick look at it.
JayCarr

6th Mar 10 at 16:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Every garage in my town was shut. Typical.

I tried pulling the steering arm in and out with the engine on and there is no movement at all. Nothing. So i really dont know wtf they are on about. Unless the part they've sold me isn't actually the part they meant. It was a parts man that told me it was the right part so he could be wrong.
x14xe sport

6th Mar 10 at 18:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just fix it and put up, every mot station is different and some are stricter than others
Fonz
Premium Member

6th Mar 10 at 21:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i thought with the new MOT digital system if it passed or failed it was logged on the computer system and a tester could see the "history" of the car (since the digital MOT system came in) and thus shows when the last test was done, by who and if failed, on what....or am woefully wrong on that?
shane_o

7th Mar 10 at 00:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

jay the engine is off or should be when testing, there should be no play in the tre. jack each side up and just give it a slight side to side wriggle and you should be able to see whats wrong. fonz very wrong, the only real use is early mot's are automatically dated on you can still chose to go to anywhere you like if you fail and feel hard done by.
combo-george

7th Mar 10 at 02:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the art of having a dad as an mot tester
allza

7th Mar 10 at 11:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Test the play with the wheel on. Wiggle hard from side to side to feel any play. Shouldn't be any in tre or lower arm ball joint/bushes.
JayCarr

8th Mar 10 at 18:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers Shane So if i take it to another garage they wont know its already failed? I was gonna take it somewhere else and tell them it had failed and see what they think. Do you think its worth telling them that or just keeping quiet?

I'll give that a go Allza.
SportBoy

8th Mar 10 at 18:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

id tell them its failed and you just want there opinion if they are knackerd or not.
allza

8th Mar 10 at 18:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah take it to another garage and tell them its failed and ask them what they think. The play will be in and out play in the inner ball joint inside the gaiter. Easy to replace, sometimes it can be a bit tight to get undone from the rack though.
JayCarr

8th Mar 10 at 18:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nice one, i'll go down my local garage tomorow and see what they say.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Disputing an MOT failure 23 database queries in 0.0185370 seconds