corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » registered a domain, now what?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author registered a domain, now what?
Robin
Premium Member

User status: Offline
4th Mar 10 at 23:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I want some sort of hosting to get an e-mail address up and running.

I'd also like to be able to host my own stuff on there if I want/need to.

Willay, Ste L, Dom, help me out here?

(and anyone else who can )
Dom

5th Mar 10 at 01:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just need a hosting package, personally i recommend Tsohost (can get a decent package for £15 a year). Then in your domain name admin panel there will be somewhere to enter DNS/Nameserver addresses (usually 2, eg: ns1.tsohost.co.uk / ns2.tsohost.co.uk etc) for your host.
Setup mailboxes is usually done with your hosts control panel and hosting files etc you just FTP file to your host (you'll get all of your login ftp details etc when you sign up to your hosting).
Robin
Premium Member

5th Mar 10 at 11:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ok, so I've now bought the domain from UKReg, transfered it to tsohost.co.uk for the £14.99 a year package, will the rest be pretty straight forward?
adiohead

5th Mar 10 at 11:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you don't need hosting to get an email address from a domain name.

just buy the domain name and you should be able to create addresses in the email/admin section. then you can forward them onto your current email service (eg. hotmail, yahoo, etc).

EDIT --
quote:
I'd also like to be able to host my own stuff on there if I want/need to.

didn't read that bit so ignore me. DOH! (it's early)

[Edited on 05-03-2010 by adiohead]
MJFF88

5th Mar 10 at 12:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You've transfered the domain there? That wasn't really necessary. Have you bought a hosting package?
Dom

5th Mar 10 at 12:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah you didn't really need to transfer it, just had stick their nameservers in your dns settings on ukregs admin panel.
But yes the rest is pretty straight forward, you have access via cPanel which is a piece of piss. Just click Email Accounts (near the top on tsohosts cPanel) if you want to create a mailbox. As for uploading files, you will get the FTP details with an email they'll send you. Then get an FTP client, something like FileZilla and make sure you stick everything in the 'public_html' directory/folder.
Robin
Premium Member

13th Mar 10 at 16:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm totally stuck now

I bought it from 123reg, bought the hosting form tsohosts and transfered it to them but now it won't load

What do I need to do.
Dom

13th Mar 10 at 17:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Have you actually transfered the domain to tsohost or just entered tsohosts nameservers into the dns settings on your 123reg admin/control panel?
If it's the latter, then everything should be hunky dory and it's now just the case of uploading something to the public_html/www directory on your hosting. If it's the former, then from what i remember (it's been a while since i've transfered domains to other registrars) you'll receive a letter from nominet about the transfer (you should have a letter from them anyways about registering that domain name).

Might be worth firing them an email (they usually reply within an hours or so) or phoning the guys up at Tsohost and see what they say.
Robin
Premium Member

13th Mar 10 at 18:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bought the hosting with tsohost and opted to transfer it over, not done anything else.
Ste L

13th Mar 10 at 18:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

didnt need to transfer it, could of just set it up on 123reg's admin to point to the tsohosts server

did you only want it for email or website too?
Robin
Premium Member

13th Mar 10 at 19:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mainly e-mail but I'd like to be able to host stuff there too, bit like Willay does.
Ste L

13th Mar 10 at 19:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ahh was going to say if it was just email, 123reg have a email service on the back, which isnt dear...

you say you've transfered it already?
have you read this about transfering

http://support.zesthost.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=21&nav=0

New Poll