corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » email just received from customer

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author email just received from customer
BarnshaW

User status: Offline
6th Apr 10 at 15:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by oceansoul
quote:
Originally posted by BarnshaW
"oh it wont break for at least 5 years"

But theres not that much inside of a TV to go wrong. I.e. no moving parts. All you'd expect to fail are capacitors in the power supply from the constanting charging and discharging cycles.

However i know what your saying, but dont the EU high commision (or what ever they call themselves) say that "reasonable time for electrical goods" is like 6 or 7 years think i saw that on the one show once.

first things first, theres a hell of alot that can go wrong on a TV, a modern LCD TV has 3 or 4 main boards which can go wrong, it has the panel, it has a power supply, it has software which can also go wrong or require updating.

Also some countries in the EU do have to adhere to a 6 year law on electrical items and lasting that period, UK is not one of them. It is stupid to believe that a TV or electrical item is going to last a minimum set of years before developing any faults.
adiohead

6th Apr 10 at 15:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

Also some countries in the EU do have to adhere to a 6 year law on electrical items and lasting that period, UK is not one of them. It is stupid to believe that a TV or electrical item is going to last a minimum set of years before developing any faults.

It is stupid to sell products that aren't fit for purpose. I think that's one we can all agree on
BarnshaW

6th Apr 10 at 16:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I dont think you quite understand the meaning of fit for purpose and general wear and tear. So no I dont really agree with whatever point you are trying to make
adiohead

6th Apr 10 at 16:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
I dont think you quite understand the meaning of fit for purpose and general wear and tear. So no I dont really agree with whatever point you are trying to make

I have posted what is means and I agree with it. Do you not agree with the consumer rights websites with the meaning?

I shall copy and past again:

This is what I mean by Fit for Purpose:
Fit for purpose covers not only the obvious purpose of an item but any purpose you queried and were given assurances about by the trader.
If you buy something which doesn't meet these conditions, you have the potential right to return it, get a full refund, and if it will cost you more to buy similar goods elsewhere, compensation (to cover the extra cost) too.
Note, however, that the right to reject goods and get a full refund only lasts for a relatively short time after which a buyer is deemed to have 'accepted' goods. This doesn't mean that the buyer has no legal redress against the seller, just that he/she isn't entitled to a full refund.
Instead a buyer is first and foremost entitled to have the goods repaired or replaced. If these remedies are inappropriate, then you're entitled to a suitable price reduction, or to return the goods and get a refund (reduced to take account of any wear and tear).
The act covers second-hand items and sales. But if you buy privately, your only entitlement to your money back is if the goods aren't 'as described'.
If goods which are expected to last six months don't, it'll be presumed that the goods didn't conform to the contract at the time they were bought, unless the seller can prove to the contrary.
In all other situations, it's for the consumer to prove their own case (that is, that the problem existed at the time of the contract). This will prove more difficult the longer you've had the goods. Subject to this, a consumer has six years from the time they buy something in which to make a claim, irrespective of how long the goods actually last.

Durability
Durability is another recent addition to the definition of quality. How long should a dishwasher or a vacuum cleaner or a printer last? This is a very common source of complaint and one which manufacturers were always quick to turn back on the consumer, requiring them to provide proof that the item did not conform to contract specification from the start, or implying an element of misuse or neglect. Thanks to the new European Regulations, UK law now offers greater protection for consumers against products which develop faults within the first 6 months. The assumption is now that if it breaks down within this time period it cannot have conformed to the contract specification when purchased and you have the right to an automatic repair or replacement. Having said this, items which should last several years can still break down after this six month period. If the retailer or manufacturer’s warranty has run out, the shop is often quick to say there is nothing they can do before attempting to sell you an extended warranty. This is misleading. If you buy something which should last 7 years but breaks down after a year and a day, you can still claim it was of poor quality in reference to the durability aspect. In this respect it will help to know how long items such as washing machines or printers should last. You can get this information relevant trade association

[Edited on 06-04-2010 by adiohead]
BarnshaW

6th Apr 10 at 16:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i read the information which you have just found by searching off google or whatever, but if you read the information it is not talking about products years old it is referring to products around 6 months old. I am well aware of consumer rights and the sales of goods act and supply of goods act. I think you should read up on them.

adiohead

6th Apr 10 at 16:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
i read the information which you have just found by searching off google or whatever, but if you read the information it is not talking about products years old it is referring to products around 6 months old. I am well aware of consumer rights and the sales of goods act and supply of goods act. I think you should read up on them.

do you agree with it (not me, the act). yes or no?

oh and under Durability:

If you buy something which should last 7 years but breaks down after a year and a day, you can still claim it was of poor quality in reference to the durability aspect. In this respect it will help to know how long items such as washing machines or printers should last.

do you agree with that? (you don't have to).

BarnshaW

6th Apr 10 at 16:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by adiohead
quote:

do you agree with it (not me, the act). yes or no?

oh and under Durability:

If you buy something which should last 7 years but breaks down after a year and a day, you can still claim it was of poor quality in reference to the durability aspect. In this respect it will help to know how long items such as washing machines or printers should last.

do you agree with that? (you don't have to).

no, i dont agree with it, i agree the customer or end user may wish to pursue the retailer for goods that have not lasted as long as they believed they should.

however, you purchase an item knowing the warranty terms, why do you think people or companies sell extended warranties? Although end users may feel they have a right depending on the fault and nature of the problem the customer maybe liable for the product outside the warranty period.
adiohead

6th Apr 10 at 16:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
no, i dont agree with it, i agree the customer or end user may wish to pursue the retailer for goods that have not lasted as long as they believed they should.

however, you purchase an item knowing the warranty terms, why do you think people or companies sell extended warranties? Although end users may feel they have a right depending on the fault and nature of the problem the customer maybe liable for the product outside the warranty period.

yes, I agree with you. therefor we agree

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » email just received from customer 23 database queries in 0.6891608 seconds