corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Cuba

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Cuba
Cavey

User status: Offline
4th Apr 10 at 13:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Who's been?

We're going to Veradero in a couple of weeks for my girlfriends brothers wedding.

Hoping to rent a classic car and have a drive to Havana, but not sure how much free time we'll have anyway. Will be doing a load of snorkelling too.

Can't take Camoflague clothing, or Nuts into Cuba which I thought was a bit weird. Damn Commies
Rob_Lee
Banned

4th Apr 10 at 13:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thinking abotu going on honeymoon there but im not as excited about it as the missus is.
Rob_Lee
Banned

4th Apr 10 at 13:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ps... we are going for the diving btw
Cavey

4th Apr 10 at 14:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

was hoping to do scuba diving, but you can't do it within 48 hrs of flying, so won't really have time.
James

4th Apr 10 at 14:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My dive instructor in Australia said it was 18 hours.
Rob_Lee
Banned

4th Apr 10 at 17:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

48 hours is a load of bollocks.... ive done dives of 40 meters plus and the most my computer has logged is 24 hour desat!
Cavey

5th Apr 10 at 08:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

fair enough, knew you had to wait x amount of time to scuba. Nevermind, snorkelling will do me
Rob_Lee
Banned

5th Apr 10 at 10:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Do you not have a dive computer?

I have a cressi archemiedies and it will tell you when you can and cant dive.

I did some hardcore diving few years ago doing 2/3 dives a day for a week, i never took my computer off... towards the end of the week i had to reset the memory as it was freaking out i was trying to do dives when i should have still been offgassing! haha

(dont worry the latter dives of the day were shallow ones before anyone tries lectering me on dive protocol! )

lostboy
Banned

5th Apr 10 at 15:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Why cant you dive after flying?
Cavey

5th Apr 10 at 16:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Difference in pressure etc... I think, sounds like Rob knows a lot more than me though!
sand-eel

5th Apr 10 at 17:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Rob_Lee
48 hours is a load of bollocks....

48 hours is the recommended time.
Rob_Lee
Banned

5th Apr 10 at 21:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sorry matey your wrong.

Do you understand nitrogen loading on the body?

tecnically you dont really need to allow any time AFTER flying to dive as you body isnt absorbing nitrogen while flying.

If it was the other way round and you'd just done 50 meter dive you wouldnt want to dive for certain amount of time as your body has been absorbing nitrogen while being submersed at depth and flying will increase the change of DCS as the nitrogen needs to be realised slowly at normal sea level. At higher altitude the pressure is lower and its the fast decrese in pressure that causes nitrogen to bubble in the blood stream causing the bends, hence when on long/deep dives you have decompression stops to allow slow release on the built up nitrogen.

You can never give an exact time to offgas correctly before flying as not every dive is the same and not everyone will dive on the same gas mix.

I dive normally with 32-40% Nitrox so im diving on gas with lower level of nitrogen so in theory i can spend less time offgassing before flying than someone breathing on air.

Hope that makes sense.
Rob_Lee
Banned

5th Apr 10 at 21:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by lostboy

You can.... its flying after diving that causes issues
lostboy
Banned

5th Apr 10 at 21:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:

Ah right, what issues does it cause? The bends? I've no fucking idea tbh never been into diving, I don't fancy being a sharks dinner.
Rob_Lee
Banned

5th Apr 10 at 22:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
quote:

Ah right, what issues does it cause? The bends? I've no fucking idea tbh never been into diving, I don't fancy being a sharks dinner.

Right, when diving at depth your bodytissue is always absorbing nitrogen in the air you breath. Depending how long your down and at what depth will determine how much nitogen is built up in you system.

You need to have intevals on the surface before diving again or flying to allow the nitrogen level to lower.... we call it offgassing.

If your body has excess nitrogen build up and you fly its almost the same as surfacing from say 30 metres to the surface... the nitrogen builds up and forms bubbles in the blood stream and can kill.

A safer way to dive is use nitrox, this is what i use. Its basically normal oxygen but instead of 21% oxygen like we are breathing now it can be anything from 22% oxygen to 50% oxygen. Increasing the amount of oxygen in the air you breath when you dive lowers the amount of nitrogen which means less to absorb and you can stay down longer as the decompression stops are lot shorter than if you were diving on normal air.

lostboy
Banned

5th Apr 10 at 22:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I see now, thanks for that. May have to read more in depth to that just for the fun of it, cheers

quote:
Right, when diving at depth your bodytissue is always absorbing nitrogen in the air you breath. Depending how long your down and at what depth will determine how much nitogen is built up in you system.

You need to have intevals on the surface before diving again or flying to allow the nitrogen level to lower.... we call it offgassing.

If your body has excess nitrogen build up and you fly its almost the same as surfacing from say 30 metres to the surface... the nitrogen builds up and forms bubbles in the blood stream and can kill.

A safer way to dive is use nitrox, this is what i use. Its basically normal oxygen but instead of 21% oxygen like we are breathing now it can be anything from 22% oxygen to 50% oxygen. Increasing the amount of oxygen in the air you breath when you dive lowers the amount of nitrogen which means less to absorb and you can stay down longer as the decompression stops are lot shorter than if you were diving on normal air.

Rob_Lee
Banned

5th Apr 10 at 22:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its interesting if your into diving and effect on body and shit like i am
lostboy
Banned

5th Apr 10 at 22:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Its interesting if your into diving and effect on body and shit like i am

Like I said I've never been into diving, sharks are my kryptonite, and the only effects on the body I'm interested in is how many pies I can eat before I pop.

I really need to get fit.
Jambo

6th Apr 10 at 08:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

interesting stuff there Rob
Rob_Lee
Banned

6th Apr 10 at 17:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah... its funny when you get new people learning to dive and they just dont realise how dangerous it is!

ive been stuck inside a wreak out in the Channel before and i tell you its fucking scary when you realise you should at this point be up the shot line doing your decompression stop!

Pop

6th Apr 10 at 17:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've never been diving but I have been to Cuba. Spent a week in Havanna and two weeks in Varadero. Great place to go on holiday.
Cavey

6th Apr 10 at 18:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

good stuff, anything we should make sure we do pop?

Was hoping someone would get back to cuba instead of scuba...
Rob_Lee
Banned

7th Apr 10 at 13:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Cavey
good stuff, anything we should make sure we do pop?

diving?
Corsa_Quadz

7th Apr 10 at 14:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Veradero was just around the corner from where we stayed....

We went for an all inclusive 2 weeks and it has been the best holiday of my life!

We went to El Senador a place in Cao Coco, trust me you will not be dissapointed at all

*Scuba Diving
*Jungle Tour (Get your own speed boat)
*Catamaran Trip
*Jet Skiing

Just a handful of the things you can do, Scuba diving was awesome, the Ocean is beautiful [/GAY]

[Edited on 07-04-2010 by Corsa_Quadz]
Pop

7th Apr 10 at 17:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We did a few trips which were good...

- Went round a cigar factory
- Catamaran trip
- There is a zoo which you can go and see. I say zoo in the loosest terms. You basically jet ski to this place and they have a few animals like a small crocodile that you can hold and get pics with. It sounds crap but it was a right laugh that trip because they made the most of what they had to offer.

We managed to get a tour of Havana as well which was good. All in all it's an amazing place and all the people there are really friendly.

Iirc it's maybe 3 hours between Varadero and Havana.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Cuba 23 database queries in 0.0517149 seconds