corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Any one work for BT?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Any one work for BT?
taylorboosh

User status: Offline
14th Apr 10 at 21:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well a while back I did a thread about applying for apprenticeships. I applied for one with BT telecom section and have recieved an email today saying i was invited to a hub day in 2 weeks time and if im succesful i will have my interview straight afterwards. Now thing is I know fuck all about networks ect and wiring shit up and thats the side i want to get into...

any one been through this and know what to expect? any one know any good sites i can go and do some reading up on and what to read up about?
daymoon
Premium Member

14th Apr 10 at 21:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

IIRC Will_Doyle works for them.... U2U him...

taylorboosh

14th Apr 10 at 21:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by daymoon

i doubt he will share his secrets, he will most likely be planning a takeover bid
Whittie

14th Apr 10 at 21:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Good luck, I seriously fucking hate BT & their farce that is customer service.
taylorboosh

14th Apr 10 at 21:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Whittie
Good luck, I seriously fucking hate BT & their farce that is customer service.

i already work for them through an outsource company but want something more hands on. i am part of that farce
oceansoul

14th Apr 10 at 21:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mate of mine went for the interviews last year. She didnt get through tho. Next time i speak to her ill ask what she had to at the interview day.

If its anything like my thames water one i did, it will be some kind of team exercise, then somthing phsyical like wire a plug top or a lamp or summing. Then you have to talk about yourself for a bit and then sit some 'aptitude' tests. Like basic math, matching shapes, sentences etc
taylorboosh

14th Apr 10 at 21:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by oceansoul
Mate of mine went for the interviews last year. She didnt get through tho. Next time i speak to her ill ask what she had to at the interview day.

If its anything like my thames water one i did, it will be some kind of team exercise, then somthing phsyical like wire a plug top or a lamp or summing. Then you have to talk about yourself for a bit and then sit some 'aptitude' tests. Like basic math, matching shapes, sentences etc

thanks mate if you could id really appreciate it.... whittie your a pc geek iir? what should i look into?
noshua

15th Apr 10 at 08:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I applied and went to the HUB day some time last year, in Sheffield.

Don't worry about job knowledge as you don't have to show you know anything - that's what the apprenticeship is for.

Haven't got enough time to go through it all at the minute so I'll reply later, but what basically happens is;

You arrive at the "hub", there's about another 50 people there for the apprenticeship too. There's around 20 members of staff who work for BT, a lot of them are apprentices from previous years and the remainder are people you'd expect to find at an interview - managers and the likes. They split you up into groups of 5 and ask you to introduce yourself into your group members and generally see how you get on within a team. You sit around for 10-15 minutes, chatting (hopefully) before moving on into another room to do a series of activities. At around dinner time all members of staff will leave the room and decide who they want to come back (later on that day, usually around an hours time) for an interview and who they don't want to come back.

Almost forgot, they do a 'colour blind test' when you're in the groups of 5 - IIRC when I went they had a bunch of wires and told me to pick a certain colour. It's a simple as that.
Budgie

15th Apr 10 at 08:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by a friend on facebook
FUCK YOU BT

sums it up nicely
Neo

15th Apr 10 at 09:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by daymoon

I think you got BT and NASA mixed up, or maybe even Sky, or BK...who knows.
taylorboosh

15th Apr 10 at 09:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by noshua

Don't worry about job knowledge as you don't have to show you know anything - that's what the apprenticeship is for.

Haven't got enough time to go through it all at the minute so I'll reply later, but what basically happens is;

You arrive at the "hub", there's about another 50 people there for the apprenticeship too. There's around 20 members of staff who work for BT, a lot of them are apprentices from previous years and the remainder are people you'd expect to find at an interview - managers and the likes. They split you up into groups of 5 and ask you to introduce yourself into your group members and generally see how you get on within a team. You sit around for 10-15 minutes, chatting (hopefully) before moving on into another room to do a series of activities. At around dinner time all members of staff will leave the room and decide who they want to come back (later on that day, usually around an hours time) for an interview and who they don't want to come back.

Almost forgot, they do a 'colour blind test' when you're in the groups of 5 - IIRC when I went they had a bunch of wires and told me to pick a certain colour. It's a simple as that.

thanks mate good reply.... so did you get a job?
ashleh

15th Apr 10 at 11:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by john-d
quote:
Originally posted by noshua

thanks mate good reply.... so did you get a job?

He didn't, hes stuck on a shitty university course with me .
Mark Prydderch

15th Apr 10 at 11:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm a 3rd year BT higher apprentice and will be at the HUB day in Oswetry. U2U me if you want to ask anything.
noshua

15th Apr 10 at 17:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Forgot to mention I went for the higher apprentice job - more responsibility and more money. Speaking of money - the job its self paid very well.

Basically on the day the staff are watching you to see how well you interact with people, seeing if you're a good team member etc. If you've been invited to a HUB day they obviously have seen something they like so I wouldn't go in thinking that they don't!

The tasks they ask you to do on the day don't count towards anything so again don't worry about getting these right or wrong - one of the ones I did was rate, in order from most important to least important, 20 items (given in a list) to have when you're stranded on an island.

Advice; make sure you have ALL your documents that they asked you to bring, don't be on time - be early, once you enter the chosen HUB day building (it'll be a BT one) be polite to members of staff as they all belong to BT - the guys who took my documents and ID were apprentices who all have an impact on who is chosen for an interview (I'm sure this is what they was telling us), don't sit there thinking of things to say - just say them, the worst thing you can do is show that your NOT a good team member.

Good luck.

Mark is probably the guy you'll want to chat to for the best advice

edit: there's some good information in this thread (I read it prior to the HUB day) http://www.avforums.com/forums/general-chat/954529-anyone-done-bt-apprenticeship-part-2-a.html

[Edited on 15-04-2010 by noshua]
taylorboosh

15th Apr 10 at 19:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yea cheers noshua ive read that and part 1 all 67 pages of it

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Any one work for BT? 23 database queries in 0.3598540 seconds