corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Tesco job career???

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Tesco job career???
3CorsaMeal

User status: Offline
23rd Apr 10 at 14:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ed
Though they all drove Vauxhalls

i spose it helps give the impression of being mundane, boring and just a regular person.
corsa-sxi

23rd Apr 10 at 15:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

doesnt it mean earn 140k in 4 years not per year?
lostboy
Banned

23rd Apr 10 at 15:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you have the correct skills and experience then yes a management position pays well, I work in a small sainsburys shop (convenience side) which averages £40,000 per week (maybe more) which is pennies compared to the supermarkets like Tesco and Asda, Sainsburys staff just got their bonus with their pay today (mine wasn't great tbh wouldn't have been much worse off without it as its taxed) my mate who is a Duty Manager (assistant manager in English) got a bonus of well over £1000 and luckily for him is getting it in two parts for some complicated reason, which works out better for him and as I know what he earns, then surely managers at the likes of Tesco etc will be earning alot more.

[Edited on 23-04-2010 by lostboy]
lostboy
Banned

23rd Apr 10 at 15:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Although on saying that Dido Harding (used to be one of if not the top women at Tesco) now works for sainsburys (also at a very high position)
davcohen

23rd Apr 10 at 16:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I used to work for tesco (infact just quit as im going abroad) and have done various jobs since starting there in my teens. I ended up running the produce department doing a managers job on a team leaders wage which at the moment would work out to be roughly

36.5 x £9.50 = £350 a week before tax and overtime

Depending on the store manager you either kiss ass or work hard to get somewhere but once you become a manager depending on department you could earn lets say £26k before tax.

Sounds like a easy job working in a supermarket but trust me its the complete opposite the amount of pressure that is applied to you for just a slight increase in wage is not even worth it plus they practically force you to do unpaid overtime on a constant basis. they basically want you to give up your life as a whole lol

My store used to turn over £1.2-£1.4m a week!! since becoming an extra that figure is now roughly £2m a week!!!

Yet there is an overtime ban due to budget cuts but your always being told your over hours on your department even when someone leaves wtf?
Ant

23rd Apr 10 at 16:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I work for Tesco have done for 3 years, it's fair to say I think I'm pretty well paid £36k people who have long service in my role will be on 40k store manager in a large store typicaly earns 70k

it's a stressfull job you have to meet your kpi they are genrally non negotiable, I have to work around 55 hours a week. Don't really want to go into specifics but I would not choose this path again if I had my time over.
A2H GO

23rd Apr 10 at 16:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I used to work for Tesco as a Bakery Manager, worked my way up over 2 years from Part time packer as something to get me by, to full time trainee baker, then fully skilled and eventually manager though their 'options' program, i was 21 at the time.

It was very stressfull, working anything up to 70 hours a week, 9-10 hour days were the norm. I also had to work nights at weekends and if i couldnt get anybody to do the sunday shift i had to do it myself, literally set the bakery up, make everything for the day. Wage was really good for my age:

Basic 24k(due to bakery) + Skilled Bakers Allowance + Double time for Sundays + Night allowance + 70 Hours a week = Mini Cooper S Works paid for out right at 21.

But i had no life ended up getting to much, i quit, now sit behind a desk doing 9-5 everyday on less money but its where i would much rather be.

[Edited on 23-04-2010 by CorsAsh-Sport]
bigboykarl

23rd Apr 10 at 17:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by SetH
quote:
Originally posted by Colin
http://www.hrmagazine.co.uk/news/884439/Tesco-graduate-recruits-earn-six-figures-age-25/

thats disgusting, lets say you graduate at age 21 so they are saying by the time you have 4 years work experience you can earn £140k

WTF

think that article means you can earn £140k over 4 years...(23k + 30k +47k + 47k=147k)

maybe
Ben G

23rd Apr 10 at 17:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Nath
My old manager at somerfield died of a heart attack

51 years old too
AlunJ

23rd Apr 10 at 17:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Lots of nice cars in our car park, none owned by me or my colleagues really lol. I'd be happy on 30-35k really, struggling on my 16k tbh
Ben G

23rd Apr 10 at 17:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

oh and there aren't really that many nice cars in our carpark (ford). mostly new fiestas or focus' with the odd bmw or merc, but most people bring in old shitters as you get a crazy amount of dents in your door
Hammer

23rd Apr 10 at 17:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Wow, major snobbery thread alert

When someone works for Tesco it doesn't instantly mean they are spotty 18 year old spitting on your fresh baked pizza, they are a massive company/brand/institution that make massive profits.
Ben G

23rd Apr 10 at 17:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

exactly hammer.

i started somerfield as a trolley boy at 16, went on to shelf stacker, then checkout worker, then kiosk worker, then supervisor by 19 yet because i worked at somerfields everyone takes the piss for it.

makes me laugh really but more fool them.
Nath

23rd Apr 10 at 17:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Hammer
Wow, major snobbery thread alert

When someone works for Tesco it doesn't instantly mean they are spotty 18 year old spitting on your fresh baked pizza, they are a massive company/brand/institution that make massive profits.

Daimo is just jealous.
GTM

23rd Apr 10 at 18:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I work in ASDA unfortunately. Managers have some expensive cars, Boss has a Merc another lower down manager has an X5 my mate who has become a manager was looking at getting a new focus RS a few months back and hes only 24.
Good money to be made but you are treated like a dog.
t_benn_1

23rd Apr 10 at 20:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ant
I work for Tesco have done for 3 years, it's fair to say I think I'm pretty well paid £36k people who have long service in my role will be on 40k store manager in a large store typicaly earns 70k

it's a stressfull job you have to meet your kpi they are genrally non negotiable, I have to work around 55 hours a week. Don't really want to go into specifics but I would not choose this path again if I had my time over.

What do you do at tesco ant?
Eddx14xe

23rd Apr 10 at 20:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My neighbours works in tesco and he has a Honda accord, its a 2008 plate or something looks all kitted out, has speakers and a little sub in the back on what would be the parcel shelf (its a saloon)

My mate works at tesco and he said the store managers get something silly like £6000 a month
Demo

23rd Apr 10 at 22:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by James
quote:
Originally posted by Ian
Retail management can be well paid particularly in large stores but I can't imagine it's stress-free.

Probably not stress free but how stressful can it be if someone can't buy their weekly pint of milk?

i can vouch for it being incredibly stressful.

however, if youre good at what you do and are a great motivator, it becomes a lot easier

quote:
Originally posted by GTM
Good money to be made but you are treated like a dog.

depends what your store boss is like. ive worked for both good and bad and theres a massive difference

[Edited on 23-04-2010 by Demo]
mwg

24th Apr 10 at 09:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

When did Audi start making Q8s
Hammer

24th Apr 10 at 10:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They do, Daimo seen one. Whilst he was driving his VXR with an acceleration retarding pedal.
DizzyRebel

24th Apr 10 at 10:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

All on finance obviously. Retail store managers dont earn enough to buy £80,000 cars in cash. most earn 20-30k pa max and unless they have been there for 10 years saving 10k a year they wouldnt be driving something like that paid in full with cash.

Its all about keeping up with the jones's, most people nowadays who drive premium marque cars pay more a month for their car than they do for their mortgage.

I can earn anwhere from 35-55k a year, but i have a saxo vts on my drive purely because expensive cars just loose shit loads of money.
Matt H

24th Apr 10 at 10:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Guy I used to know runs a small Asda, he got a £75K bonus at Christmas due to sales being good. That was about 8 years ago too!
chr15barn3s

24th Apr 10 at 12:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sainsbury's managers in large stores are on about 70k+ a year, apparently Tesco pay there managers more! It doesn't cost a lot if you earn that much to get a nice car on tic.
davcohen

24th Apr 10 at 14:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by DizzyRebel
All on finance obviously. Retail store managers dont earn enough to buy £80,000 cars in cash. most earn 20-30k pa max and unless they have been there for 10 years saving 10k a year

Wouldnt agree with you there, team leaders in my store earn that whose wages are less then managers and a whole load less then a store manager who is a minimum of 2 stages above them

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Tesco job career??? 23 database queries in 0.0158269 seconds