corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » Home gym day

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Home gym day
jibjob

User status: Offline
4th May 10 at 21:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Basically i dont have time to go down to the gym so i want to set myself up a little work out routine at home. I dont want to go buying weight machines and dumb bells etc.

Ideally im after bulking up a bit as im too skinny Ive read about diets that help with your energy and also intake levels. Such as protein shakes, brown rice, chicken, vegetables, bananas and just drinking water. I dont want to go too extreme with the diet and the same with the work out but i want to see decent gains.

Ive seen things like running help your cardio and workouts like sledge hammering a tractor tyre give you a full body workout but what about the rest of my body? Without proper equipment is it just a case of situps for lower stomach and then different lifts for upper chest, shoulders and arms? Is it worth shelling out for weights or does anyone just use stuff around the house that does the same?

To sum it up basically i dont want to spend much, if any, money and dont want to go on extreme diets but i want so set up a home workout that gives me good gains for bulking up my top half.

Ben G

4th May 10 at 21:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

do press up's and you'll burn all over the top half of your body.

i'd buy dumb bells tbh. i have some and they're cheap enough.

i used to weigh 9 and a half stone, now weigh 12 and a half stone but not fat, just built up a bit.

tuna and pasta is good food, also meats used on the george foreman to get rid of some fat.

there was a diet guide with the p90x exercise which was very good, i'd try and source that and get some tips.
Nath

4th May 10 at 21:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I find the manual (machine free) exercises I do work better for me. Sit ups, press ups, basic dumb bell work outs etc...

[Edited on 04-05-2010 by Nath]
jibjob

4th May 10 at 21:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers lads.

Ben i'll have a look into dumb bells as i can do them anytime like when im sat on here. The diet i got was from Men's Health and it was basically just about getting the right amount of protein along with carbs and energy.
Nath

4th May 10 at 21:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Got my dumb bells from Argos. Seemed reasonably priced, and you dont get crippled with P&P.
jibjob

4th May 10 at 21:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i'll look into Argos but i'll have a look else where such as eBay etc. What weight should i be looking for with them? I dont want to go buying a set that is too heavy so is just a waste but i dont want to buy a set thats not enough or does it just depend on the individual?
Danny P

4th May 10 at 22:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm thinking of sticking gym stuff on my spare room.

Anyone got a recomendation on a bench for a resonable amount of money?
jibjob

4th May 10 at 22:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thats kind of what i was thinking of doing in my garage but then i thought i didnt need to buy one i could just put a plank across some bricks. It sounds redneck but i dont see why it wont work Plus it can easily be moved
Laney

4th May 10 at 22:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You can put on "decent" size with just bodyweight exercises but you still need a certain amount of equipment.

A dip/pull station would be ideal but they're not exactly cheap - some local parks have outdoor workout stations that you might be able to use. Dips and pullups are awesome upper body exercises as well as pushups.

Pullup bars are great for building abs too, L-Pullups anyone?

Swim. Lots. My chest, shoulders and back grew more doing that than anything else. 2 lengths and 20 pushups for 5 rounds will get your chest and arms a little sore.

A lot of people scoff at bodyweight squats but they're actually a pretty decent exercise as well as walking Lunges.

My personal favourite is the Burpee. 100 of those a day and you don't need to do anything else!
jibjob

4th May 10 at 22:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers mate! What sort of reps do you do? Most websites and magazines tell you to do about 10 x 3 sets with 2min breaks then do 3 different workouts. So one day you'd do 10 reps x 3 sets of arm curls with the 2 min break then move onto another arm workout and so on until youve done the 3 different ones. Then the next day the same but on torso etc.
Then have a day off like every sunday.

Then just increase weight and effort gradually.
Laney

4th May 10 at 22:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think we're probably training for completely different things but I do most things in 100.

100 pushups, 100 situps, 100 squats, 100 dips etc in as fewer sets as possible. I generally aim for 20 dead hang pullups.

I'm more bothered about being functional than being big.

Edit - I usually do 3 days on, 1 off. That's not going to work if you're looking for size as you're hitting your whole body everyday. Your body turns into what you train it for so if you can work through the soreness, go for it.

[Edited on 04-05-2010 by Laney]
jibjob

4th May 10 at 22:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ye i think we are miles apart but a workout is a workout and it still does the same muscles its only the quantity that varies.

You sound like someone that does triathlons/iron man competitions

Id be lucky to do 2 dead hang pull ups As for sit ups i think id be able to manage 50 before i creased over and wouldnt be able to move
Nath

4th May 10 at 22:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You must be ripped to fuck Laney!
Laney

4th May 10 at 22:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by jibjob
Ye i think we are miles apart but a workout is a workout and it still does the same muscles its only the quantity that varies.

You sound like someone that does triathlons/iron man competitions

Id be lucky to do 2 dead hang pull ups As for sit ups i think id be able to manage 50 before i creased over and wouldnt be able to move

I'm better proportioned than most people at my gym though because I don't spend 80% of my life on the bench and ironically my chest/arms are bigger.

It's not for everyone I admit but I'd recommend at least giving it a go.

No, I don't do triathlons. I do bum Crossfit, Thai Box and have a Marines application on the go though
Nath

4th May 10 at 22:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What is a dead hang pull up?
jibjob

4th May 10 at 22:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'll give it a go and report back but i guess its just a case of pushing yourself to a number and then trying to beat that number next time but without doing any damage.

Jesus Im so unfit in general that just the sound of thai box, cross fit and the thought of Marines training makes me tired

The thing is i did the whole gym thing for a year and ate pretty sensibly and did a lot of sport (5 times a week) but never saw any visible gains. Yet ive not done any sport in 3 years, hardly do exercise, started smoking and just eat crap and ive put nothing on, if anything i look visibly better
Laney

4th May 10 at 22:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Arms full extended, shoulders fully turned out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aO1EI1aZv7E
jibjob

4th May 10 at 22:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Out of the two which would you recommend?

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/3028319/Trail/searchtext%3EDUMBELLS.htm

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/9003156/Trail/searchtext%3EDUMBELLS.htm
jaffa

6th May 10 at 20:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ben G

i used to weigh 9 and a half stone, now weigh 12 and a half stone but not fat, just built up a bit.

3 stone of muscle impressive. Over how long? With what plan?

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » Home gym day 24 database queries in 0.0108089 seconds