corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » The royal marines

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author The royal marines
Gunny-Corsa-Sport

User status: Offline
18th May 10 at 17:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thinking of joining anyone had or no anyone whos had the experience or in at the minute as in what its like etc..
Jambo

18th May 10 at 18:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Saw a programme on it on Discovery.

FUCK. THAT.

So glad their are people like you who actually want to do it

Respect mate, meant to be proper hardcore but a very reverred and respected part of the Military.

Go for it
jibjob

18th May 10 at 18:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I know a couple of people in the Marines and to be honest the are mostly a few sockets short of a toolkit They are all massive blokes 6ft plus and about 17st of pure muscle. There is one lad thats only about 5ft10 but hes a nutter They all come home from tours of duty and just get hammered and fight in the pubs

I'd love to do it but i dont think i could do it. You have to be super fit and tough mentally. Im pretty sure you can go on taster days and do the assault courses and stuff. May be worth going on one of them just to get a look into it.

[Edited on 18-05-2010 by jibjob]
SetH

18th May 10 at 18:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Go for it mate. If I were still a young whipper snapper I would.

Spend about 10 years in there, then when you come out go and be a private contractor in a war zone and then maybe a hitman
oceansoul

18th May 10 at 18:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My cusion tried to get in. He is typically fit, works out all the time, quite big etc not the sorta guy you'd mess with! He got rejected It's epically hard to get in.
SetH

18th May 10 at 18:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looks like everything is epically hard to get in these days.

Too many people, not enough resources or jobs... need a few nukes to go off imo.
Gareth F

18th May 10 at 18:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My mate is quite small and not well built but hes healthy. Hes an officer. He enjoys it but it fucks him up coming back to civilisation and hanging around people that arent part of "The Core" but we have a laugh getting himsmashed and dressing him up in our gf's clothes and sending him for a run around uni campus
wilson_sri

18th May 10 at 19:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I wasn't a marine, but done my All Arms Commando course during my time in the Army. Which is basically a scaled down 3 month course for forces personnel, with all the same tests you have to pass as a marine recruit. TBH i dont think i would of been able to pass the training if i had went in to the marines as a civvy, only just scraped past even though i was already a Infantryman. It is a very very difficult course!

As has just been said, its very difficult to be accepted! Most dont even make it past the original interviews. I was the same, originally applied for marines at 16. But got rejected because i was too young, even though the recruitment age was 16. And went into the army instead.
But this is also a good thing. Because the RM don't just take any shit off the street, only the best. You have to have a certain level of intelligence as well as good fitness, and most of all strong sense of motivation. There is no point in even applying if you just thing you would like to do it. You have to know 100% you want to be a marine, otherwise you will never make it.
Gunny-Corsa-Sport

18th May 10 at 19:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

orite mate cheers for info, think best thing to do is go to my local career office and have a chat with someone a mean ive got about 4/5 mates in afghan at minute and they say its best thing they ever did etc ive been looking at videos of the "tarzan" assault course which you have to complete for the RM in 13 minutes lol
Dave86

18th May 10 at 20:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My Cousin applied to be a Marine Officer, its actually next month. Hes a fit boy tho, always out doing 20mile runs with heavy backpacks and the like, good luck if you decide to do it !

[Edited on 18-05-2010 by slowandstandard]
Aaron

18th May 10 at 20:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

From what i've heard, the requirements to enter the RM are almost the same as that of the SAS. What i mean is, all the physical tests such as 30 mile tabs in so many hours etc.
Laney

18th May 10 at 21:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've got an application in progress and know a few lads that have been in. You'll never meet a Royal that regrets going in!

Check out the PRMC forum on the Royal Navy site or get yourself down to your local AFCO
Laney

18th May 10 at 21:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Aaron
From what i've heard, the requirements to enter the RM are almost the same as that of the SAS. What i mean is, all the physical tests such as 30 mile tabs in so many hours etc.

Thats the Commando Tests, not an entry requirement
lostboy
Banned

18th May 10 at 22:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Aaron

The 30 mile romp is probably the best known one, but the one that really scared me when reading about it was the 7 mile speed march. 30 miles fair enough some running/jogging/walking/more running etc, 7 miles of speed marching!?! Bet that makes your lungs burn a bit!
KingDoug

18th May 10 at 22:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The Tarzan assault course looks like a good bit of a work out, would love to give it a go, would definitely fail it badly but would have fun giving it my all.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » The royal marines 23 database queries in 0.0160010 seconds