corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Corsa Sport 1400 as a track car?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Corsa Sport 1400 as a track car?
stan_the_man

User status: Offline
27th May 10 at 17:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I may have a chance of a slightly scabby 1400 Sport.

It got me thinking about slagging it at Knockhill...

Was thinking of getting it and whacking a few bits and bobs on it (inlet, exhaust, maybe cams, 15"wheels with decent rubber, suspension kit etc) and stripping it out.

Anyone done this with a Sport? They worth going anywhere near a track?
Nath

27th May 10 at 17:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm sure there's a 1400 with TB's knocking around here somewhere. Was Arden Blue IIRC.
ed

27th May 10 at 17:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Don't need a big engine to have fun. Stripped out with good brakes and tyres ought to keep you happy for a while
deanwatts16

27th May 10 at 17:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i used to have a black 1.4 on TBs was fun to drive n quick for a 1.4
stan_the_man

27th May 10 at 17:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thats kinda the plan.

Problem is id need it quite driveable as im a bit far from Knockhill

ed

27th May 10 at 17:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Guys at Radical drive to the Nurburgring, broke the overall lap record for a road car and the drive home again. Not much you can do to a Corsa that would make it unbearable on the road!

Butler

27th May 10 at 18:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Depends on how much of a woman you are. I drove to the ring on solid coilovers in a stripped out mx5 with no stereo. Yeah it wasnt great, I took a boombox and had issues getting the right batteries, also my copied cds wouldnt work so I had to settle for some jungle dnb kindly donated by steve... but yeah it wasnt the worst thing in the world.
fir3vip3r

27th May 10 at 18:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Butler
Depends on how much of a woman you are. I drove to the ring on solid coilovers in a stripped out mx5 with no stereo. Yeah it wasnt great, I took a boombox and had issues getting the right batteries, also my copied cds wouldnt work so I had to settle for some jungle dnb kindly donated by steve... but yeah it wasnt the worst thing in the world.

But youve got a funny story to tell everyone now, and you can look back and laugh. Rather than sitting there in a car thats got all mod cons!
stan_the_man

27th May 10 at 18:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Shopping list:

Inlet
Exhaust
Higher final drive (Whats the standard in a Sport - Which i presume will be an F15CR?)
Suspension
Wheels/Tyres
Maybe a cage.
Butler

27th May 10 at 19:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cage should be a higher priority on a track car in my opinion.
Graham88

27th May 10 at 19:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by fir3vip3r
quote:
Originally posted by Butler

But youve got a funny story to tell everyone now, and you can look back and laugh. Rather than sitting there in a car thats got all mod cons!

I dunno, I think I'd rather not have a story to tell and know I was completely comfortable for the entire 950 miles I drove in 4 days

Cage would be a must for a track car.
Butler

27th May 10 at 19:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was alright. We had walkie talkies which was a laugh.
smcGSI16V

27th May 10 at 19:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nothing wrong with a small block track car Corsa. Thats what mines used for and I have great fun.
Giving plenty of better cars greif.

Your have good fun in small engined car.

You will learn more about correct lines and carrying momentum.

You dont need to spend mega money either.
Strip it
full cage.
Inlet and manifold
Whiteline rear arb(must imo)
Polybush it alround
Decent fixed rate suspension is better than cheap coil overs
Some cheap 15" alloys and some 888's or A048's
Decent wet tyres(a must becasue of your location)

Thats basically what I have.
smcGSI16V

27th May 10 at 19:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Or just buy mine!
Mike
Organiser: North West and North Wales
Premium Member

27th May 10 at 20:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

After chatting to the first person who actually fully understands my car and used to race 2CVs, I've actually decided to leave the 1.8 conversion I was planning and stick with the 1.2 at least till I get everything else sorted.

The guy I spoke to has a fair bit of track and rallying experience, he's got an £80 Skoda for rallying, he's had various Porsches and Audis but still thinks the 2CVs gave the best laughs.

I can only go off my experience of how fun it was battling with Fonz in his 1.6 MX5 at Mallory Park, it took a while but I passed him in the end
AK

27th May 10 at 20:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

will be fun for a while... but very slow on the straights

Tyres - 888's are good enough for wet and dry. They are better in wet than 'normal' road tyres.

Start with the 1.4 and get to know the car/track then maybe switch engines (or cars) once you have the corner speeds up and are getting really pissed off with folk passing you then holding you up

[Edited on 27-05-2010 by AK]
AlexW

27th May 10 at 21:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Your most likly learn more in a smaller engined car than you would a bigger engined one, you will be pushing it harder, and learning as you hit the tyre wall, But crashing is all part of the learning.

Djgritt (Sorry cant remember name proper) has a 1.4 Sport track car. He had a project thread on here somewhere.
Mike
Organiser: North West and North Wales
Premium Member

27th May 10 at 21:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Aye, as AK says, straightline warriors are the annoying part, I've not really had it as a problem on track yet, probably cos I've not been pushing hard enough but I know from the many times I've been stuck behind em on the road, unable to overtake
djgritt
Premium Member

27th May 10 at 21:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I use my 1.4 Sport for Track use

I did intend it to be more 'soft' - ie semi stripped to keep it more suitable/comfortable for Road use

Now i'm just not fussed - i've got a decent car for comfortable road use so the Corsa is gradually being gutted fully etc

I've got a little more to do under the bonnet, but i'm concentrating on the Chassis more at the moment

There a lot of pics and progress stuff in my Project thread (link in sig)

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Corsa Sport 1400 as a track car? 23 database queries in 0.0129471 seconds