corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » Am i allowed to install ceiling lights?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Am i allowed to install ceiling lights?
X 60RSA

User status: Offline
30th May 10 at 17:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have a newish built property which is 2yrs old and I want to install some of the fire rated ceiling spot lights, the recessed ones. I'm not sure if things are different with new homes and all additional electrical work needs paperwork with it?

I read you can change light fittings etc but if adding fittings then you need an electrician??

Also something to do with if i did electrical work in my bathroom or kitchen i'd need to contact my local authorities!

I know what im doing but im just worried if my house burnt down, would i be covered!?

ash_corsa

30th May 10 at 17:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Id say its your house to do what you want with..

But i would say that being an electrician!

Have you got a mate who is qualified? Just needs a minor works sheet filing in.
dannymccann

30th May 10 at 20:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Think he means by law, should he come to sell it and some random HIP be in place where everything needs paperwork etc.

I would also like to know this, my property being 6 months old and having ceiling rose's that only accept 3-pin energy savers, cant buy them anywhere Stupid eco law
X 60RSA

31st May 10 at 15:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes by law when i sell the house I have to have 5 energy efficient lights in place!

I just wanted to see if anyone knew the exact laws, think i'll just try and find a mate of a mate who would do the job for me. Having a mortgage, the last thing i want is to have a damn fire and not be covered!

I think you can replace like for like, replace a socket/switch but as for adding more or changing them for different type I'm not sure.
dannymccann

31st May 10 at 20:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I found an interesting article that showed using a pair of pliers you can bend one of the 3 pin slots round and use normal bulbs ill try and find it

Edit : http://architectures.danlockton.co.uk/2008/07/21/how-to-fit-a-normal-bulb-in-a-bc3-fitting/

[Edited on 31-05-2010 by dannymccann]
ash_corsa

31st May 10 at 21:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fit CFL downlights, energy saving!

What 'papers' do you need when selling a house that says what lights are fitted, i though all you needed was a PIR (periodic inspection report) and 9/10 houses dont have this.

Will only be new houses that have the original installation papers

[Edited on 31-05-2010 by ash_corsa]

New Poll