corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Retained firefighters

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Retained firefighters
jr

User status: Offline
1st Apr 10 at 11:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nice one chris
Nismo

1st Apr 10 at 12:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have recently applied to be retained, My local stations has 25 current retained and there looking for day cover only which i cant do

A mate is in there and where we live in the country 90% of the call outs are RTA's and 50%+ Fatal
ChrisBoom

15th Apr 10 at 17:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Flew thorugh the interview and fitness test, been offered a position

Passed my medical today, so just waiting on my disclosure, then I can go for training
jr

15th Apr 10 at 19:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

SetH

15th Apr 10 at 19:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Colin
Ive just completed another fire fighting course to allow me to be a fire team member offshore.

The fire service train in the same place we do & having talked to them its not a job i'd want to do.

Very hard to get into as well!!

Not enough resources in this country and too many people, anything like this is hard to get into.

Hell its fucking hard to even get into tescos or sainsburys atm FFS.

emigration FTW
ChrisBoom

1st Jun 10 at 17:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Received my disclosure last month, got the phonecall today for my training, week long course. Get paid for it too, friend of mine who is in the service already was paid £500 when he did it around 4 years ago!
ChrisBoom

7th Jun 10 at 17:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

First day of training today, very millitary-esq, lots of lectures, and holy shit its hot in the firefighting gear, even just standing around. Running with hoses ended with me drenched in sweat, dread to imagine what the 600c smoke house is like
Colin

7th Jun 10 at 20:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ive been in a building with drums of Kerosine on fire.....recon it was 400-500oC in there.

Get as LOW to the floor as you can.....its much cooler & visability is better!!
ChrisBoom

7th Jun 10 at 20:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not doing any work like that this week, will have a breathing apparatus course in the next 6 months. This week is just the very basics, knots and lines, ladders, hoses, pumps etc. Off on a road traffic collision course at the end of this month too.
Steve
Premium Member

7th Jun 10 at 20:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i dont live close to a firestation, but do you reckon id stand a chance if i told them i done nurburgring in 9.57 mins ?
jonnysri

7th Jun 10 at 20:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ive been retained in west yorkshire for 3 years. work at ilkley station.

well done for applying its a good job, but the hours work alot differently to whole time firefighters. they do 2 days 2 nights then 4 days off. your shifts fall when they fall.

but the way we do it is, you have to committ to a minimum of 90 hours per week on call and one drill night, mines tuesday night. its better in a way of you can go out at a weekend rather than have to work it. im a builder on my days off so i cover most week nights after gym and some days off i get.

has this been helpful lol?
ChrisBoom

8th Jun 10 at 21:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by jonnysri
ive been retained in west yorkshire for 3 years. work at ilkley station.

well done for applying its a good job, but the hours work alot differently to whole time firefighters. they do 2 days 2 nights then 4 days off. your shifts fall when they fall.

but the way we do it is, you have to committ to a minimum of 90 hours per week on call and one drill night, mines tuesday night. its better in a way of you can go out at a weekend rather than have to work it. im a builder on my days off so i cover most week nights after gym and some days off i get.

has this been helpful lol?

Im doing 100% cover, 120 hours. Tuesday night is training for us too.
Colin

8th Jun 10 at 21:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I wouldnt mind doing it but I would only be able to commit on the weeks I am home. Im guesing thats not enough??
Recaro1

9th Jun 10 at 10:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How close do you need to be to the station?

I would love to do this, but my nearest station which offers this is 5 miles (10mins) from my house. Its also in a different county if thats a problem (i'm on the border between countys)
gravesy

9th Jun 10 at 10:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've been a retained by the Norfolk mountain rescue team for 5 years. Not been called out once.
ChrisBoom

11th Jun 10 at 17:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Passed the course today with flying colours

Shall be a few days till I get my pager and be on call, but thats it now for a few months until I do my BA training.
Twiggy

11th Jun 10 at 17:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by gravesy
I've been a retained by the Norfolk mountain rescue team for 5 years. Not been called out once.

Sure ya bleeper had batterys
jonnysri

11th Jun 10 at 17:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ChrisBoom
Passed the course today with flying colours

Shall be a few days till I get my pager and be on call, but thats it now for a few months until I do my BA training.

nice1 mate! you'll get all your clothes out ready to jump into if you get a shout haha. i did the full course. BA is awesome

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Retained firefighters 23 database queries in 0.0139019 seconds