corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » AJAX people....

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author AJAX people....
AndyKent

User status: Offline
17th Jul 10 at 13:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bit of help needed.

I've coded my personal website (link in sig) to pull photos from flickr into my 'portfolio' page. The call to flickr seems to take an age to come back so I'm using AJAX calling a PHP script to process it in the background and make sure the site doesn't hang waiting for the response.

Problem now is that the site loads, and people are clicking the portfolio page before the AJAX finishes, leaving the portfolio looking empty. It takes a few seconds before all 9 images suddenly appear- give it a go and see what I mean.
Instead I want to be able to show images much quicker, say 1 at a time so people aren't waiting.

Any ideas on how I can break down the response to deal with it in parts rather than all in one lump?
AndyKent

17th Jul 10 at 13:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

By the way, ignore the fact that some stuff doesn't link properly - work in progress, I'm just trying to sort out this problem first.
noshua

17th Jul 10 at 16:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Are you aware that the hyperlink on the actual images doesn't work either?

What code/script are you using to pull the images?
AndyKent

17th Jul 10 at 16:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah, the link on the pictures is something I've still to sort - going to animate it so they 'pop' out to a larger size to view them.....

Using Jquery to call a short PHP page, which is linked to 'PHPFlickr' which handles calling the flickr API.

[Edited on 17-07-2010 by AndyKent]
noshua

17th Jul 10 at 17:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Have you considered using LightBox (http://www.huddletogether.com/projects/lightbox2/) and try to link it with Flickr? That could possibly eliminate the problem - googling "lightbox flickr" has some solutions.
AndyKent

17th Jul 10 at 18:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Interesting, I'll check it out.

I was after something bespoke looking to fit inwoth the style of my site but the further I get the more complex it's becoming!!!
ed

17th Jul 10 at 20:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Use Jquery or Prototype. You can set an on start and and on loaded thing in your JavaScript so you can display a throbber while it's loading.
ed

17th Jul 10 at 20:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You might want to also preload the images too.
noshua

18th Jul 10 at 08:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You should be able to modify the JavaScript/css to match the layout of your website
Dom

18th Jul 10 at 10:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ed
You might want to also preload the images too.

Preloading images (plenty of examples about if you google 'jquery preload images') would solve it and just displayer a throbber (loading gif etc) whilst doing it.
AndyKent

18th Jul 10 at 11:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The loading of images isn't really a problem though. It seems to me that there is a long delay between asking Flickr for the latest images added to my portfolio and getting the array of details back. Once my script gets these it's quick to build the image links and grabs the images very quickly.

Besides, I can't preloaded anything when I don't know what images are going to be shown.....
Dom

18th Jul 10 at 11:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The only delay is the images loading (blank image placeholders for a few secs) once you've got the 200/complete on the ajax function and you're changing the innerHTML. Once the images are browser cached, the throbber is displayed for a few seconds and the images load instantly. Preloading the images and displaying the throbber for a few seconds longer would solve this.
AndyKent

18th Jul 10 at 12:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How did you find that out

I'm using Chrome's Developer bar and putting breakpoints on certain parts of the script to see how long the waits are and I thought it was as I first described.....
Dom

18th Jul 10 at 14:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AndyKent
How did you find that out

I'm using Chrome's Developer bar and putting breakpoints on certain parts of the script to see how long the waits are and I thought it was as I first described.....

I think you're code is pretty sound, i think it's down to the Flickr servers being a little slow in returning the images (as i said i don't have any issues once the images are cached and i've tried this on a few browsers and two different net connections). By all means i could be talking bollocks, but it's the only issue i actually see

My solution to this would be to get your functions.php script to return a delimiter'd array string 'www.flickr.com/image1.gif;www.flickr.com/image2.gif' (etc) on the Ajax success, then split that, preload the images (usually you create dummy img's then check for when they complete), generate the HTML then do the remove throbber/innerHTML replace. There's probably a better way in doing this though like Ajax'ing the whole Flickr API (i don't know the API but i'm assuming the reason for php'ing it is that you're having to parse sensitive info to API to get the images?).
Also depending on how often you update (+ bandwidth) your flickr, you could chron job it to download the new images to your host (reference them in SQL/flat-file/XML) and load them that way although you still probably want to preload them.

Also if you are preloading using dummy img tags, have a looking into the cache side of things. Again i could be talking shite (feel free to let me know lol) but I have a feeling that doing it this way bypasses the browsers cache, so the page is always fetching the images rather than the browser loading them up from cache which obviously gobbles your bandwidth.
AndyKent

18th Jul 10 at 14:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sounds like a decent plan, I'll that out. Think I get the point your making now, didn't earlier.....

The only reason I'm PHPing to flickr is that I came across a standard access library suggested on the API help pages - some guy had created it to simplify the calls so seemed like a good idea. The only 'sensitive' issue is my username/userid which isn't really that sensitive at all. Just means I can keep the level of code down in my own pages rather than building all the queries totally from scratch.

Bandwidth shouldn't be much of an issue with the limited pageviews I'm expecting tbh.
I see what you're saying though, it'll always be loading from scratch so isn't really the optimal way of doing it.

Besides, I've no idea what I'm doing when it comes to cron jobs so I might give that part a miss for now!
AndyKent

18th Jul 10 at 14:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh, and thanks
Dom

18th Jul 10 at 15:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah probably the simplest solution, but definitely preload the images especially if you're not worried about bandwidth as that should solve the issue (well, the end-user just sees the throbber for a few seconds longer).

Although doing it all in Jquery/Ajax doesn't look too bad to be honest as the Flickr API looks pretty straight forward. >HERE< is an example of the API in JQuery/Ajax and you'd only need to strip out the second ajax call for the GEO location.

And cron jobs are a piece of piss especially if you have access to the new cPanel X interface. Only issue i tend to stumble upon is file permission causing the job not to run, but it's easily sorted.

But yeah, not worries

New Poll