corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Bore honing

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Bore honing
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Offline
10th Aug 10 at 22:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As you may have read, the engine on that red GSi probably needs to come apart again after it started smoking after one lap at Combe.

My current suspicions are twofold:

The head gasket or head itself. The required torque for the head according to the Haynes manual is 65nm plus a further 30 degrees, then 30 degrees again. I did 65nm then 60 degrees because I forgot where 30 was. So they were overtightened on the second pass. As a result I didn't pass them a third time.

The cylinder bores were not honed and we used the old rings, just because we had neither a honing tool or new rings in that timescale. I've had a very kind offer of the lend of a honing tool and having seen that they're not that expensive I'm also thinking about buying one to have in stock. Obviously this needs choosing. I also need a supplier for that and the rings

Then I've got to decide what to re-use from the gaskets / head bolts which have only just gone on.
sand-eel

10th Aug 10 at 22:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think there are different honing techniques for different rings, ie some may be rougher or smoother and will have different rates of honing eg up/down 1.5x a second instead of 2x a second.
Ian
Site Administrator

10th Aug 10 at 22:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes the more I read, the more it appears very complicated. The good news is that I have an engine in mind rather than needing general advice.
sand-eel

10th Aug 10 at 22:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Think its only about £30 for a pro to do it, with their big honing machines.
ed

11th Aug 10 at 08:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd say send the block in to an engine refurbishing place to get the hones done and use fresh rings, gaskets and head bolts. If you've over-tightened the bolts then they will have definitely stretched.
Stu_22

11th Aug 10 at 08:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its better for a machine guy to do it. Has it lost compression?
Was the cylinder head stripped and rebuilt

Sounds like you would of been better off with a X18XE1
Jakey
Premium Member

11th Aug 10 at 08:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Give Philip a message. He did a shit hot job on mine!
Marc

11th Aug 10 at 10:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I thought this was a rag round the track then scrap jobby?
Ian
Site Administrator

11th Aug 10 at 13:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It was Philip I spoke to about the tool, he's been very helpful.

It's not getting scrapped, sold on perhaps but I want it working when I do so.
Adam_B

11th Aug 10 at 13:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is it not just easier to drop another engine in?
Ian
Site Administrator

11th Aug 10 at 13:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That is at least 150 quid. Don't really mind how hard it is, I'm learning a lot anyway.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Bore honing 23 database queries in 0.3814631 seconds