corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » AutoCAD - Buying, keeping up to date etc.

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author AutoCAD - Buying, keeping up to date etc.
mwg

User status: Offline
3rd Jun 10 at 10:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've been charged with the task of looking in to upgrading our AutoCAD.

At the moment we have approx. 25 people in the office, 5 of which are Technicians using CAD all the time so have 2009 LT for those 5.

The rest are occasional users and have a mixture of 2004 LT and 2000 LT at present.

I've got prices for upgrading the 5No. 2009 users to 2011 and then we could get a couple of additional 2011 licenses and use the portable license feature so people can use it on their machine as and when required. There tends to only be one or two other people using it outside of the Technicians so its not cost effective for everyone to have their own license when we can just move the license around instead.

Is there is a way that once we have done that we can pay a set fee every year and always have the latest version sent to us on release, some sort of payment plan that means we always have the latest version?

Currently we are looking at an initial outlay of approx:
£2,500 for a pack of 5 license upgrades to 2011
£2,000 for 2 additional full 2011 licenses

Then every year after approx. (assuming prices dont change much year to year):

£3,500 to keep updating the 7 licenses that we would have.

That seems like a hell of a lot of money every year to me, surely there is a better and more cost effective way than that?

I've got a meeting with the directors early next week so trying to gather as much info as I can so thought it was worth asking here too on the off chance someone knows!
Whittie

3rd Jun 10 at 10:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was doing a repair in an office full of CAD users two weeks ago.

I've sent him an email with a copy & paste of your post, i'll let you know the reply I get.
mwg

3rd Jun 10 at 10:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Brilliant thanks
AndyKent

3rd Jun 10 at 12:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Look up the AutoCAD subscription.

I *think* you have to buy the products up to date, then an additional fee for the subscription package. For as long as you keep paying the subscription you get 'free' upgrades.

I say 'free' because you still pay the subscription cost, but its a hell of a lot cheaper than buying all over again.

Users on the subscription package also get access to other Autodesk products based on Autocad, like Impression for example - another 'free' benefit.
Brett
Premium Member

3rd Jun 10 at 12:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

PirateBay
mwg

3rd Jun 10 at 12:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That subscription thing sounds more like what we are looking for. I'll see what I can find out about it. Ta.
Doug

3rd Jun 10 at 16:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Consider yourself lucky! That's pretty cheap licensing tbh
Simon

3rd Jun 10 at 17:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We are on the Autodesk Subscription service at work, just happened that I was downloading the revit architecture 2011 suite today.

It's supposedly the cheapest way to keep upto date but hardly any of the computers in my office will run the more advanced features now I think something has recently changed to make it get quite expensive to upgrade old licenses in the future
mwg

3rd Jun 10 at 21:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Doug
Consider yourself lucky! That's pretty cheap licensing tbh

In the scheme of things considering we have a turnover of over a million and healthy profit it doesn't seem expensive in that respect for the money it makes us but its money they haven't been spending up till now so they wont want to
ashleh

4th Jun 10 at 07:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by loafofbrett
PirateBay

mwg

17th Sep 10 at 11:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Anyone know if files created in AutoCAD LT 2011 are completely compatible with LT 2009?

We've had problems with drawings created in 2009 then opened by 2000 or 2004 and you cant see the annotative text and dont want the same sort of problems again this time around.

And yes they still haven't upgraded 3 months on from the original post, I've just had to remind them so they are looking at it again now
ed

17th Sep 10 at 11:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Files are never forwards compatible with any of these kinds of software. I've had this problem before and it's very frustrating.

[Edited on 17-09-2010 by ed]
mwg

17th Sep 10 at 11:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It sure is frustrating!

2000 and 2004 the text was compatible. But 2004 and 2009 the text isn't compatible. If anyone knew for definite if the text is compatible between 2009 and 2011 it'd be great. I'll have to have a look and see if there is an email address on the AutoCAD site and ask them direct.
AndyKent

17th Sep 10 at 12:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No definate answer but like ed I wouldn't expect so.

Can you not set up LT 2011 to default save in 2009 format?
ed

17th Sep 10 at 13:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I doubt you can do that either, in Solidworks, once you've upgraded there's no backwards compatibility of files. Once you've saved something in 2010 format, there's no going back to 2009 or later. It's the same with Labview, Inventor and all the other big engineering software
mwg

17th Sep 10 at 13:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You can set 2009 up to save as far back as R12 version. You'll be able to open it on a R12 AutoCAD to view it but because the text is annotative none of it appears, just the lines that you've drawn appear.
mwg

17th Sep 10 at 15:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

downloading a trial version of 2011 to see if its going to be an issue

New Poll