corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » banded steels

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author banded steels
DaveyLC

User status: Offline
31st Jul 10 at 00:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by john-d
steelies only cost me 20 quid mate. he makes parts that have to be super accurate so is more than capable, will just need to make a jig. if he fucks them so be it

will the tyres still fit? i want the fronts widened 2 inch and rear 3 inch... mind you will need to trial wheels on car to make sure thats viable

There is a hell of alot of labour involved, you need to cut the wheels PERFECTLY square and who ever is welding them needs to make sure its evenly distributed around the wheel or you'll have a whole tray of ballencing weights on each wheel.
taylorboosh

31st Jul 10 at 07:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yea i know mate, like i say he is a sheet metal worker and used to working on high tolerance things. will get him to tack them all then try them on a balancing machine
gazza808

31st Jul 10 at 09:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If he's a good a welder as you say he is he should know,
It's easy if you have the gear, I'd part the wheel off on a lathe would be a much easier than trying to do it with a grinder/plasma cutter, then just roll your strip till it's sam diameter as the diameter that you cut. Then weld, one day I'll do this at work just alwaysa forget.
taylorboosh

31st Jul 10 at 09:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

been chatting to him today and he said the best way to do it is to make a mechanical jig so we can alter the width ect
ryan docherty

19th Sep 10 at 10:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i always thoght the way u made bandedsteels wheels were to cut the front off 4 and the back off another four and welded the back onto the front of the other 4 guess a was way off haha
Jamie-C

19th Sep 10 at 11:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Any update on these?
Ste
Premium Member

19th Sep 10 at 11:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ryan docherty
i always thoght the way u made bandedsteels wheels were to cut the front off 4 and the back off another four and welded the back onto the front of the other 4 guess a was way off haha

That wouldn't be banded then. More a cut and shut!

I would rather lose by a mile because i built my own car, than win by an inch because someone else built it for me.
alan-g-w

19th Sep 10 at 12:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

For all these people saying buy a set, it's not worth it - if the guy's got the wheels for nothing it's probably only going to cost him a score for a bottle of whisky to give the guy as a bung.

If the guy's a professional welder he'll have no bother cutting a bloody wheel square and welding a strip in the middle. Yes it needs to be square but do people not think that the guy who does stuff like this for a living knows what he's on about?

Mech jig sounds the best idea, I'd be making a soild frame with the basic shape of a big G-clamp - make a 'basket' for the back rim of the wheel to sit in making sure the rim cant move either way then weld up a square U-shape with the upright giving your desired wirth, measure out to the middle of the rim then make a bracket that you can bolt the front rim (along with bolt holes) onto. Then simply slot the band into the space and weld.

[Edited on 19-09-2010 by alan-g-w]

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » banded steels 24 database queries in 0.4547980 seconds