corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Business day

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Business day
Sam
Premium Member

User status: Offline
14th Oct 10 at 15:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I am starting a new (second) business, which I anticipate will make shitloads more money than web design (well I've proven this to myself anyway from various contracts I've had recently).

What I want to know is, is it best to start up as a sole trader then incorporate, or should I incorporate now?

I had a meeting with the bank today to sort my new account out and they reckon I should speak to an accountant about this considering Business Link etc. are next to useless.

I keep hearing conflicting information off different people and it's doing my head in

[Edited on 14-10-2010 by Sam]
Gary
Premium Member

14th Oct 10 at 15:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

LTD all the way.

A LTD co is treated as its own entity so its easier to bin off if shit goes pear shaped etc.

Plus in my opinion your taken more seriously being LTD
Ste
Premium Member

14th Oct 10 at 15:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Keep it off the books and away from the tax mans eyes tbh

I would rather lose by a mile because i built my own car, than win by an inch because someone else built it for me.
Gary
Premium Member

14th Oct 10 at 15:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Plus you can pay Dividens from a LTD and claim back directors loans etc
Gary
Premium Member

14th Oct 10 at 15:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What is said business if you dont mind my asking
Whittie

14th Oct 10 at 15:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Stay sole trader untill you think it'll take off imo.

Will take a 5 minute meeting in the bank to change it to LTD etc.

I'm sole trader in 1 business and ltd 2.

[Edited on 14-10-2010 by Whittie]
Sam
Premium Member

14th Oct 10 at 15:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

IT maintenance (used to do it years back as full time jobs, and have done it part time alongside my existing web design business).

I assume if say for example I wanted to get a mortgage (for a house) I could say I am an employee of <whatever> Ltd and that I'd be looked upon better than as a sole trader?
Gary
Premium Member

14th Oct 10 at 15:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Sam
IT maintenance (used to do it years back as full time jobs, and have done it part time alongside my existing web design business).

I assume if say for example I wanted to get a mortgage (for a house) I could say I am an employee of <whatever> Ltd and that I'd be looked upon better than as a sole trader?

Exactly.

Sole traders are frowned upon financially (getting credit, even insurance etc)

If you go for a personal loan you dont need to mention you own shares in the company. And technicall as a LTD co is its own thing you are an employee only. You just happen to own 100% shares
Sam
Premium Member

14th Oct 10 at 15:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I need to open up trade accounts with IT suppliers (not bothered about it being cash or 30 day) but all of them have said to me they aren't interested unless I'm a Ltd company.
Hammer

14th Oct 10 at 15:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

From an accounting perspective sole trader until such times as you're making decent money.
Whittie

14th Oct 10 at 15:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Hammer
From an accounting perspective sole trader until such times as you're making decent money.

Sam
Premium Member

14th Oct 10 at 15:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think for the reasons of opening accounts with companies and my own personal financial standing I might be forced to open a Ltd company. Hmmm...
jrsteeve

14th Oct 10 at 16:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Depends on the expected turnover and possible risk. Either can be made to suit but sole trader costs less initially, but if you fuck up you'll be sued rather than the company.
M2RTY

14th Oct 10 at 16:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

IT contractors who work for me are LTD
Gary
Premium Member

14th Oct 10 at 16:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Also if your credit is shite you'll have sod all chance of a loan. With LTD it dnt matter as much
Whittie

14th Oct 10 at 16:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by glb
Also if your credit is shite you'll have sod all chance of a loan. With LTD it dnt matter as much

If your credit history is shite. Then you stand absolutely no different to getting a loand, ltd or ST.
Gary
Premium Member

14th Oct 10 at 17:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Personally obv. But business wise it makes a difference.

Dan
Premium Member

14th Oct 10 at 17:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd go sole trader till it takes off.

Have a look on uk business forum. There's a sticky thread about a million pages long about this

Adult GiftsClick here to vist us
VrsTurbo
Premium Member

15th Oct 10 at 21:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Hammer

What would you say is decent money? I have a contract coming up next year for around the 25k mark should i go LTD or soletrader?

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Business day 24 database queries in 0.0140951 seconds