corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » Question for the Brickies among you...

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Question for the Brickies among you...
Matt.H

User status: Offline
5th Oct 10 at 11:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Basically I have a whole in the wall where the old waste pipes came out but since redoing the bathroom I need to block these up. This morning i have been up and knocked the old 2 halves out and just placed in the new ones. Have done this as something keeps going in the hole and pulling all the insulation out. Bird or a mouse i'm not sure but hopefully this will stop it untill they are mortared in. Just wanting to know whats the easier/best way to do this? I've never done any brick laying but don't mind having a go. Have included a pic just so you know what I mean.

Gary
Premium Member

5th Oct 10 at 12:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

expanding foam
Bart

5th Oct 10 at 13:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by glb
expanding foam

indeed, and go easy with it, it continues to expand for a long time.
Put alot less than you think is required in there, you can always add to it the following day.
mattk

5th Oct 10 at 16:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Id make some little wood wedges and knock them in a little deeper than the edge of the brick to support them where they should be. then just point the gaps around the edges, try and squash as much cement under and around them as you can

you can get little bags of ready mix in B&Q for a couple of quid, just add water
ash_corsa

5th Oct 10 at 18:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I did exactly this a few weeks ago after the old kitchen waste pipe was roughed in and i replaced it along with the fucked bricks.

Basically did what you did, mixed up some mortar (4:1 Building sand and cement) added water and whacked it in!

Started by trowling some mortar on the bottom of the hole, then some on the end and top of the brick, carefully placed it in the hold, did the same with the next brick, leveled them up and filled the gaps with mortar, you really have to stuff it in. then just pointed it up with the end of the trowel.
Also used an old paint brush with water to wash off any excess before it dried.

Came out pretty good but had lots of cement residue on the brick so got some brick cleaning acid (sulphuric acid) from wickes painted it on and off it came!

This is before the acid was used!

Fad

9th Oct 10 at 23:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Put a fillet of motar on the on a existing brickwork. I would then put the brick into the opening and then infill where the pointing is missing at the top.
Daniel_Corsa
Premium Member

10th Oct 10 at 09:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Fad
Put a fillet of motar on the on a existing brickwork. I would then put the brick into the opening and then infill where the pointing is missing at the top.

Yup, don't use expanding foam!

You've got room to put cement in there just take care!

April '06' Corsasport Feature Car | Aug '08' Total Vauxhall Feature Car | Spring '09' Fast Car Feature Car
Jake

15th Oct 10 at 21:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ni on impossible to explain how to do something like that properly over the net mate

New Poll