corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » New Road Bike - need some help

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author New Road Bike - need some help
Cybermonkey

User status: Offline
13th Oct 10 at 11:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have been riding a mountain bike with hybrid tyres for the last few years, and its just about had it mechanically. So I took the dive and went looking for a road bike as my rides are nearly all on smooth tarmac anyway.

After a bit of shopping, I have picked up this - http://www.avantibikes.com/endurance-road-2010/giro-2010.aspx?bid=281

It was $1500 down from $2300 so a decent saving, its the outgoing model as 2011 range has just been released. Its got almost the full Shimano 105 gearset so its well specced for an entry-level bike. Considering I went under budget, what components could be improved in future?

Now I am guessing there are quite a few of you on here who ride road bikes, so im looking for any tips, particularly on equipment for some endrance racing. I am looking at taking part in a 120 mile event in 6 months time so i went to get myself up to fitness on this bike.

cheers!
jacko198

13th Oct 10 at 23:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I dont ride much road but i do work in a bike shop

The main things that people upgrade depend on how much they want to spend! If you have quite abit, then the wheelset is always a good upgrade as it can save alot of weight.

To upgrade the groupset to ultegra its gonna cost £600-700 ish so i would say wait around and see if you can find a good 2nd hand dura ace, you will be suprised how cheep they go for.

Best advice for endurance racing would be to get the bike set up correctly at a bike shop that knows what they are doing. Even if you have to pay for it, its well worth it and you will notice the difference straight away in terms of feel and getting the most out of your pedaling.

Also, get a good computer, something like a Cateye V3, or even one of the garmin gps computers, you can upload times to ure pc and compare rides whilst out on the road
Cybermonkey

14th Oct 10 at 07:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cool thanks. I have been using imapmyride on iphone, seems to do a good job at mapping routes and providing calorie burn and average speeds.

I have a basic computer in the mountain bike but its nothing special so you have given me an idea to look into a decent one
jacko198

16th Oct 10 at 19:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No worries mate. I was going to say the best thing is having the will to go out on it all the time in the winter, but then i just spotted you live in Aus. Bloody wish we had you're winters, id be riding all the time
Cybermonkey

16th Oct 10 at 23:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

it still gets cold man, down to zero at night here just west of Sydney, but usually between 5 and 10 at night on average. Just about to hit spring so temps are perfect for bike riding.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » New Road Bike - need some help 24 database queries in 0.0052900 seconds