corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » graphics card doing my nut in! any help please?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author graphics card doing my nut in! any help please?
Gareth

User status: Offline
14th Oct 10 at 20:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Turned my media pc on and it loaded up with low resolution and colour. Uninstalled the driver and reinstalled and tried different driver but its stuck in low res and colour. So i went out and bought a different card but it hasnt fixed the fault, carnt believe it!

Have tried a driver cleaner too, Any advise? Both of the cards are nvidia, really dont want to have to reinstall windows mce but thats the last resort.

cheers.
moka

14th Oct 10 at 23:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Only thing i can think of is power issues (PSU not supplying enough power to card for it to go into full graphics mode), which card models are they and what is the ampage on your 12v rail (printed on psu).

OR (and probably more likely) its still a driver issue.

[Edited on 14-10-2010 by moka]
Gareth

15th Oct 10 at 00:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its defo software as i just fitted another hard drive and it works.

Anyone any ideas how to resolve without reinstalling windows?
Rob_Quads

15th Oct 10 at 08:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

When you say you tried a new hard drive do you mean you installed windows on that and it worked fine?

If so then as you say its def a driver issue. I wuld first change it to the VGA driver and delete all copies of the older drivers on the system (this might take a big of googling to find out where they are stored)

Then try reinstalling the Nvidia driver.

If that does not fix it then it may be something else that is affecting the video driver and it may be very hard to find.

If this is Windows 7 then try a system restore to a few days ago. I have often found this to work wonders.
Richie

15th Oct 10 at 10:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Which OS is it for a start? I'm assuming Windows XP.

Common thing that causes this is corrupt EDID data from your monitor which can happen when your playing around with different resolutions.

To resolve this....

1. Delete / Uninstall your monitor within device manager ( do not reboot )
2. Delete / Uninstall the graphics card within device manager and shut down your PC.
3. Unplug the power to your PC and to your monitor for 30 seconds.
4. Juice it all back up, and keep your fingers crossed whilst everything reinstalls
5. Final reboot and it should be ok
Gareth

17th Oct 10 at 08:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks for the help guys but im unable to resolve this ive spent ages on it tried everything. As soon as i install the nvidia driver and reboot it drops to low res and colour. Just going to replace the drive i think.
Sam
Premium Member

17th Oct 10 at 08:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Why do you need to replace the drive for?

If you want a clean install of Windows, then surely common sense would be to just format and re-install rather than buying a brand new hard drive?
moka

18th Oct 10 at 00:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Clean install of windows then start windows update, retreive the driver that windows says will work and see how it goes.

This has sorted out problems with my wireless before. Worth a shot.

New Poll