corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Snap Day » A good digital slr to start up with?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author A good digital slr to start up with?
Gareth F

User status: Offline
17th Nov 10 at 18:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looking for a hobby at the moment and thought about photography. Never really looked in Snap Day before but corsasport is probably the best place to get good recomendations from.
What things should i look for when buying (probs second hand due to prices)?
What camera would be a good one to start with?

Any guidance/links to cameras would be great

Ps sorry if theres other threads/this is an uber common thread
Matt L

17th Nov 10 at 19:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It is a common thread theres quite a few knocking about.

Whats your budget? as second hand for about £500 you can get the same as mine canon 50 or nikon equivilent but for sub £300 possibly less than £200 you can tend to get the entry levels like canon 1000d I havent really looked at prices much recently.

all the cameras are similar between makes (canon, nikon, sony etc), best bet is to go somewhere like jessops and have a play with the entry level cameras in all the makes to see which one you prefer the feel off and find easier to use as like i say the differences between makes are negligable (sp).

Fuji films are a bridge camera (between point and shoot cameras and dslr's) if you want to start getting into it but dont want to spend loads however if you soon get into it you will soon out grow this (took me 3months to outgrow mine then moved onto the 1000d and then had that for just under a year and now onto the 50d .

Warehouse express is a good online shop for cameras and shiz, however classifieds on talkphotography.co.uk are amazing for secondhand deals.

as said go try a few out in shops and then look for the best deal online and go from there, also i invested in 'langfords basic photography' book which wiull teahc you the basics and what you need to know to get started.

And dont expect to get amazing pictures straight away just because you spent x amount on the camera , I still delete a good half of my shots and been into it for about 2 years now.
Gareth F

17th Nov 10 at 19:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Excellent, cheers Matt
Just need some pointers to start then can usually find my own way.
Good idea about going to test them, searching Egay for some but most come up quite pricey.
My sister say have a look at cannon rebel xt and xs?

Oh and no "pics of said sister" are going to produced
Matt L

17th Nov 10 at 20:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

rebel xt/xs tend to be the american names given to them eg the xs is the 1000d just given a different name for the yanks.

Like i say the book is a good investment, i only ever got half way through it and then just relied on messing about and learning as i went along, that and magazines/ inspiration from flickr/deviant art.

and if sis is over the age of 18 then pics are a must tbh

[Edited on 17-11-2010 by Matt L]
Gareth F

17th Nov 10 at 23:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hmm my sis is going back to america next week.
Is iit worth getting her to buy the xs for me or would it be risky? probs save alot but then what do warranties stand for nowadays.
My sis:

Rob B

18th Nov 10 at 11:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've just bought a canon 350D for 200 pounds with a 18-55 lens etc spare batterys.

Ment to be a decent beginner cam
Matt L

18th Nov 10 at 13:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Unsure what the difference is/if there is a difference between getting it over in the us compared to here.

I imagine batteries/chargers may be different so would end up having to buy another charger possibly.
Gareth F

18th Nov 10 at 16:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Rob let me know how you get on with it

Matt i might look into it a bit more as everything is so much cheaper over there!
Gareth F

20th Nov 10 at 00:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What Sony slr would be the nearest in quality to the Canon 350d? Just comparing brands really
Russ

20th Nov 10 at 07:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This a good offer Matt?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330494310304#ht_2522wt_944
Gareth F

20th Nov 10 at 13:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah they go for £280+ second hand
Gareth F

22nd Nov 10 at 14:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just bought a 350d and should be with me tomorrow

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Snap Day » A good digital slr to start up with? 24 database queries in 0.0076871 seconds