corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » quick i phone question

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author quick i phone question
alan t

User status: Offline
26th Dec 10 at 23:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I bought a I-Phone 3g from a friend of a friend the other day, its brand new still in the box, the only problem is its locked to o2. I still have 9 months of my orange contract left so want to use my orange simcard in it.

Question is whats the best way to go about getting it unlocked? Can i download software myself to do it or am i better just getting it done at one of these shops that can do it for a tenner?

I spoke to another one of my friends and he said that o2 unlocked his one for him, however he said you have to be a o2 cunstomer for them to do this, also im not 100% where the phone has actully came from so probably better not going through 02.

Thanks in advance for any help folks
N3CRO

26th Dec 10 at 23:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

o2 will unlock it for £14.99 iirc.
If not, jailbreak it and then unlock it.
alan t

26th Dec 10 at 23:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

would probs be better just taking it to a shop and getting it done for a tenner then, thanks for the reply though mate.

heard alot of stories about jailbreaking, making them crash alot causing problems with them so would rather not go down that route
Root

26th Dec 10 at 23:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by alan t
would probs be better just taking it to a shop and getting it done for a tenner then, thanks for the reply though mate.

heard alot of stories about jailbreaking, making them crash alot causing problems with them so would rather not go down that route

I'd rather pay £5 extra and get it done properly, it's not cheap to replace if it goes wrong
alan t

27th Dec 10 at 00:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just in the process of jailbreaking it now so will just unlock it that way, got the phone cheap anyway so if it goes pearshape ive not lost much lol
alan-g-w

27th Dec 10 at 00:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I take it it's only the iphone 4s that use the micro SIMs then?

[Edited on 27-12-2010 by alan-g-w]
alan t

27th Dec 10 at 00:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by alan-g-w
I take it it's only the iphone 4s that use the micro SIMs then?

[Edited on 27-12-2010 by alan-g-w]

fuck knows mate, im new to all this iphone stuff
alan t

27th Dec 10 at 00:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

im jailbreaking it using limera1n, will i still have to download something else to unlock it for different networks or will this do that as well?
N3CRO

27th Dec 10 at 10:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
im jailbreaking it using limera1n, will i still have to download something else to unlock it for different networks or will this do that as well?

You need UltraSn0w to unlock it. You can get it from the Cydia store on the phone.
jamied

27th Dec 10 at 12:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

what magical method are they going to use? its either network unlock or jailbreak and unlock.never heard of any other way. If its possible always get it done officially then you never have to worry about updating the software on it etc.

[Edited on 27-12-2010 by jamied]
Simon_16v

27th Dec 10 at 15:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There is a jailbreaking software which now combines the modem software off the iPad and unlocks the iPhone for good so even if you remove the jailbreak it still remains unlocked
jamied

27th Dec 10 at 15:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I did read about that, but I am not sure if they have sorted it out or not as it locked the baseband to the iPad one and you could never change it, even the warranty would be void as you couldnt restore it

New Poll