corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Looking to start a project but got some questions

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Looking to start a project but got some questions
Simon_16v

User status: Offline
2nd Jan 11 at 20:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hey guys,

Basically my brother has managed to pretty much destroy the engine in my old 1.4sport and my mum is stupidly going to buy him a new car. So I said il have my sport back as a project then can sell on etc or keep as a toy.

The ideas I've been thinking about was either fixing the water pump and other sensors that need replacing on the car but also put the engine on carbs for something a bit different. I know carbs aren't exactly hard to fit but what bits of the loom would need removing etc?

The other idea was to just remove it and put a redtop on carbs in as either way the engine will need to be removed I'd of thought to fit a new water pump? Are redtop conversions difficult to do? I have a good head when it comes to mechanical stuff, I've fitted suspension, exhaust manifolds etc just not an engine conversion.

Or any other engine suggestions that could be put in? Either way it can be a long term project as I have my Ibiza as my daily.

Thanks for your help and suggestions
Ian
Site Administrator

2nd Jan 11 at 20:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Redtop conversion is fairly well documented and if it's not a daily you can take your time, but you need to factor in what it will cost versus what you want to end up with. If it's just to fix the car to sell then a standard engine is probably going make that easier. A replacement 1.4 shouldn't be too expensive.
Simon_16v

2nd Jan 11 at 20:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well even to keep it as a second car/toy it shouldn't be too bad to insure when it comes to getting it running. Insurance isn't too bad on the Ibiza and if turns out to be a reliable car I'd even consider selling the Ibiza to free my bank loan up.

Could even put a X16XE in on carbs, should give a similar sort of power to the Ibiza but I shall have a nice sounding non derv engine
Corsa_Sport21

2nd Jan 11 at 20:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

X16XE on carbs will be more hassle than its worth.

Will need management for the spark side of things.

Stick to the tried and tested powerbox imo.

[Edited on 02-01-2011 by Corsa_Sport21]
Simon_16v

2nd Jan 11 at 20:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ahh fair enough then, might just repair it and sell on. I weren't too sure what things were needed to run carbs.

In that case how easy is it to replace a water pump and cam belt? Once those are done the car will be running sweet
Piér

2nd Jan 11 at 20:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Water pump and cambelt are easy if your handy with a spanner, engine stays in the car.
Corsa_Sport21

2nd Jan 11 at 21:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What actually happened to the engine??
Simon_16v

2nd Jan 11 at 21:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There was coolant appearing on my driveway so we just put it down to a leaking pipe somewhere and was going to check it out. Eventually my brother filled the coolant tank up one night and in the morning the expansion tank was half full. So topped up and took it to a local garage who could see water coming out of the water pump housing so can only assume its fucked
Simon_16v

2nd Jan 11 at 21:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Piér
Water pump and cambelt are easy if your handy with a spanner, engine stays in the car.

How much would I be looking to budget to replace a gambler and waterpump myself? Either way I feel confident enough I reckon to battle it
Simon_16v

3rd Jan 11 at 15:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Simon_16v
quote:

How much would I be looking to budget to replace a gambler and waterpump myself? Either way I feel confident enough I reckon to battle it
jay26

3rd Jan 11 at 15:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
quote:

less than £50 if your handy with the spanners mate
Simon_16v

3rd Jan 11 at 16:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah feel pretty confident on fitting it all it would just be setting the timing up? Do you need a special too to lock the cams? Or can some improvisiation be used?
jay26

3rd Jan 11 at 17:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah use some tippex lol, it's realy easy mate honest
Simon_16v

3rd Jan 11 at 18:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sweet, well at the end of the month il get some bits ordered and start some work on it

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Looking to start a project but got some questions 23 database queries in 0.0151730 seconds