corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Paying insurance for a car you don't have?

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Paying insurance for a car you don't have?
Sam
Premium Member

User status: Offline
3rd Jan 11 at 22:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes I thought only named drivers could claim off a policy - why would a different insurance company pay money out to someone that's not even a named driver!

I think the contribution thing Pop speaks of only applies if YOU have insurance cover with different companies for the same car.
Pop

3rd Jan 11 at 23:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by antnee
I dont know if I have mis-understood your last point,

Are you saying if A sells the car to B, both A and B have their own policies, B crashes?

If so, A's insurance wouldn't be covering B to drive that car, so only B's policy would pay.

I realise I haven't explained well.

Say for example you sell your Ibiza to me. You do not let your insurance company know you have sold it. I drive without insurance and crash into someone. Your policy is still in force so your insurance company will have to pick up at least the 3rd party element of the claim.

Scenario 2. You sell me the Ibiza but do not cancel the policy. I insure the vehicle then crash into someone. There are 2 policies for this car, they pay out 50/50.

I hope that makes a bit more sense. The above is correct AFAIK but I am open to being corrected.
antnee

3rd Jan 11 at 23:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think they wouldn't, due to you not being on my policy, so the policy being void???
Pop

4th Jan 11 at 14:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ok so I checked with an underwriter at work today as I wanted to know.

In example 1 above I was correct. On top of your insurance paying out I would face the ramifications of driving with no insurance.

In example 2 above then both insurance companies can be liable under contribution. If the claim was not for much then my insurers may not claim any from yours. If however, I had a big crash then they would very likely get contribution from yours. Not necessarily 50/50 but a certain %.

[Edited on 04-01-2011 by Pop]
taylorboosh

4th Jan 11 at 14:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So you can be insured twice on one car?
Sam
Premium Member

4th Jan 11 at 14:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well I spoke with my insurance company at length today, basically if I don't own the car any more they won't insure me on it which means we will have to pay whatever discount remaining back to them as there will only be my wife's car on the multi car policy (which in turn would be converted back into a normal policy). But then if I got a new car the insurance for that car would be discounted as I'll be making both cars be part of a multi car policy again.
Dom

4th Jan 11 at 15:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Wouldn't be easier to get a car, transfer the insurance to that and then get rid of the Mondeo?
Sam
Premium Member

4th Jan 11 at 15:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah it would Dom, I need to stop doing things the hard way I think

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Paying insurance for a car you don't have? 23 database queries in 0.2999580 seconds