corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Low mileage older cars - what's the opinion?

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Low mileage older cars - what's the opinion?
sand-eel

User status: Offline
26th Feb 11 at 12:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

TBH even if an engine with 33k miles that has only done short journeys, will be far from fucked. Any 04 plate car with very low miles will not have any mechanical problems, maybe electrical but even new cars can.
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Online
26th Feb 11 at 13:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just want to dispel the low mileage old owner means they're treated badly thing. My mums Freelander is on about 31k on the 05 and she doesn't drive it any differently to how I drive it.

Really, you can't not spend the money.

Cheap car - big bills

Expensive car - hopefully peace of mind for a bit

Hence my suggestion of a new car in a budget brand. It does take the best of those two.

And I'm also with Jim on his point - a lot of worry is in the minds of people on the internet.
Fad

26th Feb 11 at 13:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just drive it and base your decision on its overal condition. You cant just clutch at straws.

Upon inspection and driving it will be clear whether its been maintained well or driven riding the clutch everywhere.
Ben G

26th Feb 11 at 15:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i bought my puma on 45k miles which is low mileage for an X reg i got last year.

everything seemed fine, then a couple weeks after the clutch bearing started making noises. been like it ever since, so about a year now and it's fine.

apart from that i've only had to replace the battery which died and a sensor thing that packed up in the snow.

it's hit and miss tbh, although an 04 plate fiesta shouldn't have much wrong with it, and if you need bits i can get you massive discounts on parts.
deano87

26th Feb 11 at 15:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

3CorsaMeal

26th Feb 11 at 15:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

jeremy clarkson bought a brand new ford gt and it had problems
Ben G

26th Feb 11 at 15:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

it wasn't made by english people.
Jambo

26th Feb 11 at 16:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My 04 Clio had a misfire.

Sorted though, it had only done 38k at the time
Fad

26th Feb 11 at 16:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jambo
My 04 Clio had a misfire.

Sorted though, it had only done 38k at the time

Sold mine with 78k miles and didnt skip a beat in 3 years!

antnee

26th Feb 11 at 16:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think it mainly depends on the owner, a neighbour of mine had an old mini which was driven at most 2 miles into the town centre, so the car never got warmed up properly, never out of 3rd gear, etc. Where as my dads car, does 30k a year, and is spot on cos its serviced and looked after regardless of cost cos he has to have his car to get to work.

I think the miles mine receives is a happy medium, few miles in the week to the supermarket or to car meets, then hour or so run each way at the weekends back home. So only doing 100-150miles a week but gets a good run on the motorway.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Low mileage older cars - what's the opinion? 23 database queries in 0.2620330 seconds