corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » has been an expensive day

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author has been an expensive day
BarnshaW

User status: Offline
8th Mar 11 at 18:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

little while ago i found my car was a bit low on compression (low being nearly half on cylinder 4)

engine has been removed and stripped and turns out some of the valve seats have worn, headgasket is knackeredand cylinder heads are scored. Will have some pics to upload shortly. they said they have not seen such a problem before but suspect it may have been done previously after engine has been subject to massive overheating or a bad map

to cut a long story short the place the engine has gone to are quite friendly with my dad for other various businesses of work and they have done a blinding deal on new forged internals, so car is going to have new pistons, rods, head studs, shells fitted this week

not quite what i was expecting but worth doing whilst engine is out and apart. I have a question though, what is the usual run in period on an engine when having such things replaced? also i presume they will put a new map on just for the run in period.
Nath

8th Mar 11 at 18:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sooooooooooo whats the damage to the wallet?
John

8th Mar 11 at 18:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Are the rebuild stories about these true in general?

Everybody who gets one on here seems to spend the cost of the car getting a rebuild.
Steve
Premium Member

8th Mar 11 at 18:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

chocolate pistons?
BarnshaW

8th Mar 11 at 18:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i think there is alot of scaremongering john and alot of people modifying them incorrectly resulting in them going bang, they are pretty strong otherwise.

i think its a case of while the engine is out for a problem alot of people have the other bits replaced as a precaution as its quite alot of labour involved.

and nath - roughly around 2k
chris_uk
Premium Member

8th Mar 11 at 18:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

do about 500 miles then drop the oil and renew it..

then drive it like a cunt.
Nath

8th Mar 11 at 18:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not as bad as I was expecting tbh.
BarnshaW

8th Mar 11 at 18:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

is it a different viscosity oil during a running in period?
gavin18787
Premium Member

8th Mar 11 at 18:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

sometimes they use mineral dont they?

Drives supercharged Tec with torque
fir3vip3r

8th Mar 11 at 19:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

2k is very good indeed
CorsAsh

8th Mar 11 at 19:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mine's only cost 1k this time around. Winner!

...so far...
chris_uk
Premium Member

8th Mar 11 at 19:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i dont know what you use normally, but in the vx im running a slightly less viscous oil for the 500 miles
deano87

8th Mar 11 at 21:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Reminds me of the hassle with my Punto. An unexplained mystery. My work wasn't so bad and was £1200 at Fiat.
Mertin

8th Mar 11 at 23:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So the garage saying the compression was low was genuine, when a few people said that it would be the garage trying to coin in iirc?
Stu-G

9th Mar 11 at 00:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i know with my let motor i was told to use slightly thicker oil (15w/40) for the first 500 mile then replace with the 10w/40 and use that for another 500 mile on standard boost and not to go nutes then again another change and go nuts,but they normally say around 500 mile run in period
Eck
Premium Member

9th Mar 11 at 04:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
Are the rebuild stories about these true in general?

Everybody who gets one on here seems to spend the cost of the car getting a rebuild.

Tbh, people aren't quick to shout about a car NOT breaking down So a lot of what's posted on the 'net is scaremongering. My dad bought his Impreza with 31k on the clock, it is now on 85k and NOTHING has went wrong with the engine. Random mishaps like a sticky piston on a caliper is the worst it's been.

But on topic, that's bad luck really But it could have cost a damn sight more than that to repair
belton

9th Mar 11 at 10:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They seem to be really good actually. A guy I work with has had an 03 one from new, he had the engine replaced or rebuilt at 15k by Subaru because of some common fault. But it's now on 125k'ish and he hasn't had a problem! It's used daily and for all the family, dog etc. Seems really good. But then has only had a backbox and spoiler done
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

9th Mar 11 at 12:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

and so it begins

going for more power?
BarnshaW

9th Mar 11 at 12:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hopefully should be able to squeeze a bit more, turbo is good for 430-440 but i will be happy with anything around the 400 mark. Think i might need to upgrade headers to push for more.
DaveyLC

9th Mar 11 at 13:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You'd have been better off selling as is and buying another one thats already had the work done..
Nath

9th Mar 11 at 13:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I disagree with that. I'd rather keep my own knowing 100% that its been sorted.
BarnshaW

9th Mar 11 at 13:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yea i have to go with nath on that one, i got the car originally very cheap with some very expensive bits on it already so happy to spend the money on it now really
3CorsaMeal

9th Mar 11 at 14:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

how did you finding it was low on compression come about?

i've been advised to do a compression test but part of me doesn't really want to know.

was the car driving ok?
BarnshaW

9th Mar 11 at 14:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

tbh i didnt know, guy when it was being serviced said it didnt sound right on turnover so whilst the spark plugs were out for a service he done a compression test

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » has been an expensive day 24 database queries in 0.1165290 seconds