corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Cyclist Vs Police

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Cyclist Vs Police
Dr Pepper

User status: Offline
31st Mar 11 at 11:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by youngsezer
i'm sorry but i'm with rob_quads on this one

[Edited on 31-03-2011 by youngsezer]

Thats fair enough - im not in the right in the eyes of the law. Just making the point that some laws are there for the public safety ...but they can be broken in complete safety as well.

Right or wrong im not going to sit on a bike at a red light with no cars anywhere near me , or any cars coming down either road on either stretch of road when all im doing is cycling around a bend. Its just as safe to go round that bend on a red - than to wait and go round it on a green - either way I have a potential flow of traffic on my side of the road - but at no point am I near approaching traffic from the opposite direction.

[Edited on 31-03-2011 by Dr Pepper]
youngsezer

31st Mar 11 at 11:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i get your point mate, i tend not to break the law but i am the first to admit i have done over 70 on the motorway in the past
jrsteeve

31st Mar 11 at 11:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What a total thundercunt
SVM 286

1st Apr 11 at 19:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

''This video is private''

So why the fuck host it on an international video sharing web site for the general public?

Dick.
Anty
Premium Member

1st Apr 11 at 20:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fail !!
fir3vip3r

1st Apr 11 at 20:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by pow
I'll fucking knock the cunt off. If I was to drive at 25mph I'm sure I'd be pulled over but because he hasn't got doors, a heater and a radio it's fine clearly.

But he's restricted to 30mph....
fir3vip3r

1st Apr 11 at 20:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

and as for Dr Peppers argument:

I also ride a motorcycle so I take up less room than a car. Should I start running red lights, because I dont take as much room?

Red means stop on the road, no matter what type of transport. You use the road you obey the laws.
Welsh Dan

2nd Apr 11 at 08:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by SVM 286
''This video is private''

So why the fuck host it on an international video sharing web site for the general public?

Dick.

It wasn't private before. The rest of his videos have also been taken down. I can't imagine why he might want to have removed any videos incriminating himself
alan-g-w

2nd Apr 11 at 10:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by fir3vip3r

I also ride a motorcycle so I take up less room than a car. Should I start running red lights, because I dont take as much room?

Red means stop on the road, no matter what type of transport. You use the road you obey the laws.

For a start, you can't compare a bicycle to a motorbike for so many reason, the main difference being that one has a numberplate and gets MOTd, taxed and insured but the other is almost anonymous.

I don't really grudge cyclists going through red lights. Say you were sitting at the lights with a cyclist in front of you wanting to turn left on a red - would it not be perfectly legal for them to dismount, walk along the pavement with their bike then just re-join the road 5 yards up from the junction anyway? Obviously if they're screaming through crossroads on red it's a different matter but if they're just basically using the same common sense as a pedestrian would use with a red man then it's their funeral.

Am I right in saying you're a policeman?
Cole

2nd Apr 11 at 10:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

has anyone ever actually looked into whether police and emergency services are allowed to run red lights, as iirc they are not actually allowed to by law the only people that can are postmen as your are not allowed to stop the queens mail i might be completely wrong though
John

2nd Apr 11 at 10:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Of course police and emergency services are allowed to run red lights
alan-g-w

2nd Apr 11 at 10:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Have you started the birthday boozing early Cole
DannyB
Premium Member

2nd Apr 11 at 10:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cole

2nd Apr 11 at 10:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ok i might be wrong like i said i know they can run red lights but is it actullay legal it could be down to a small bylaw which no one follows anymore like the fact you can be arrested for criminal damage for picking a blade of grass i know as i got done for similar but i was a few plants from a hotel lol
Dr Pepper

2nd Apr 11 at 10:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

Cracks me up that a motorcyclist is giving me a lecture on the laws of the road. If you are the one biker who doesnt flaunt multiple laws of the road every time you go out then I apologise.

I havnt said you should start running red lights - I was just making the point that it is often perfectly safe to do so in many places if you have a bit of intelligence on the road. I wouldnt do it on a motorbike - for the same reason that I dont do it in a car .... its not as safe as you are not in a cycle lane away from the traffic - and I dont want to get caught and have points on my license.

Thanks for the explanation of what red means

[Edited on 02-04-2011 by Dr Pepper]
Cole

2nd Apr 11 at 10:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ok i just looked into it they can but only in certain circumstnces they are suipposed to stop though and treat it as a give way my bad oops to many beers last night
John

2nd Apr 11 at 11:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They do stop and treat it as a give way, then when they've confirmed it's clear they continue.

They don't just drive right through red lights without looking.
Lawrah
Premium Member

2nd Apr 11 at 11:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Can someone find a video that works please.
Welsh Dan

2nd Apr 11 at 15:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

at posties being allowed to run red lights and emergency services not being able to
saj_123

2nd Apr 11 at 23:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well a breakdown on the law front.

I have skimmed through the thread and seen a few things. These are the things that I have picked up over the last couple of months at Uni.

As a citizen you have no legal duty to give your details although you have a moral duty to aid the police in there enquires. You do have the right to remain silent although there are certain exemptions and one of them is when you are driving a vehicle and there is a very broad definition which includes bikes. So in theory he has to give his details.

I remember the police officer saying that you have to give me your details under Section 24 Police and Criminal Evidence Act (PACE), although Section 24 PACE states the different reasons for arrest without a warrant etc. So in theory the Police officer is obviously incorrect. I.D Coppland obviously doesn't exist so can't use that.

But that is what I know law wise had a bit of discussion with my housemate about giving of your details, no clear conclusion was reached. I will be able to answer this in a month time after I start revising. Lol, O I watched this video a couple of days ago.

[Edited on 02-04-2011 by saj_123]
pow
Premium Member

2nd Apr 11 at 23:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by pow
I'll fucking knock the cunt off. If I was to drive at 25mph I'm sure I'd be pulled over but because he hasn't got doors, a heater and a radio it's fine clearly.

But he's restricted to 30mph....

I don't give a shit, he's doubling the journey time of one leg of my drive to work. He should find another route where he doesn't piss off half of Bucks tbh, or get the bus or get a car.
Welsh Dan

3rd Apr 11 at 00:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Saj >

There are several laws, which state that you MUST provide your details to the Police and can be arrested for failing to do so. S50 of the Police Reform Act is one, although its obviously not relevant in this instance. You'd also be expected to give your details for a stop under S165 of the Road Traffic Act, again, not relevant for this.

However, in this case he was being issued with a FPN. In order for the ticket to be issued, a name, address and DOB is needed, to allow a court summons to be issued if the ticket is not paid. If you don't provide them, or provide obviously dodgy details, you can be arrested under S24 pace. Although the PC in the video didn't explain himself properly, he was correct to an extent. IDCOPPLAN is a mnemonic for remembering the reasons for an arrest under S24.

Obviously, if you're then arrested and provide details which can be verified, the need for arrest no longer exists and so you'll normally be dearrested.

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Cyclist Vs Police 23 database queries in 0.0132651 seconds