corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Calling Astra GSI experts

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Calling Astra GSI experts
Bullet Proof SRi

User status: Offline
19th Apr 11 at 09:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My mates MK4 astra GSI has developed some sort of idle problem.

He has taken it to 2 garages and they both put it on the computer, 1 found it to be the air meter, so he said, so this was changed. But the car is still the same its, had a service, air filter, oil, plugs, and the timing belt was just done.

When the car sits in idle it can be fine for ages but then the revs drop quickly and then pick up again, driving along its fine it just seems to be a problem with idle.

Its been suggested, the EGR valve could ned replacing or the idle control valve needs cleaning, any ideas? as no fault shows up on the computer.
JordanR

19th Apr 11 at 09:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im no expert but it could be the EGR valve as suggested! Because thats what my old car was doing.
Bullet Proof SRi

19th Apr 11 at 09:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

after some reading some people seem to have problems with the throttle body clogging up which clogs the idle conrol valve up aswell.

maybe its worth taking off and checking, i would of thought if it was the EGR the light would of come on
Steve
Premium Member

19th Apr 11 at 10:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

idle control valve off, spray it with carbcleaner
Jambo

19th Apr 11 at 10:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My money is on the wires that get corroded. Common Gsi thing, mine started doing it occasionally.

I can't remember which wires but close to the head?! Maybe, part of the loom wither gets exposed or corrodes inside somehow then causes weird idles. Go onto AON and ask about commo gsi problems
Steve
Premium Member

19th Apr 11 at 10:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

there is a similar thing but on the puma, the pas pressure sender wires get corroded and beak, this causes dodgy idling, common problem on pumas
Bullet Proof SRi

19th Apr 11 at 10:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I changed his plugs for him last night just incase, just put standard NGKs in, some people on astra site reckon it wont like standard NGKs
Liam

19th Apr 11 at 11:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You can do something called the "earth mod" search it on AOC.

Do the mk4 GSi's have an EGR valve? I haven't seen one on my GSi, could be wrong though.
marklawton

19th Apr 11 at 11:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There is no egr valve on these engines. As said do a search on the earth mod. Its done on the loom that runs next to the battery. Try another set of plugs first
Bullet Proof SRi

19th Apr 11 at 11:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just read about the earth mod, seems a common fault.

However as said , no light has come on on the dash at all.

The car was playing up with the plugs that wrre in so i changed them for himw just in case , to some standard NGKs which i assumed would be fine, some people say that they are not great for the car.

He should go with irridiums instead, im just wondering what the plugs were i took out, ill check if they wrere irridiums or not and if not, im wondering if he has had a service in the past and has standards put in then.

Could this really be the issue, a plug is a plug to me
marklawton

19th Apr 11 at 11:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mine does the idle thing and so does my mates sri-t and either one of them throws the light on. Very common. Keep meaning to do the mood but not very good with wiring so keep putting it off lol

New Poll