corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Will streaming radio use much of my data allowance?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Will streaming radio use much of my data allowance?
Kano

User status: Offline
   12th May 11 at 07:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As above, using the tune in app on an htc desire?
Doug

12th May 11 at 07:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Get 3g watch dog from the market to keep on top of it
_Allan_

12th May 11 at 08:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It will hammer it. Good streams are 192Kbps a second. 45-60 secs will be about 1MB. Versus your 500MB allowance. 8 hours or so maybe but that is for music only, throw in browsing, apps, widgets etc....
Robbo

12th May 11 at 09:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

GOOD GOD YES, don't do it. seriously, do not do it.
Robbo

12th May 11 at 09:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

shoudl be an option in tune-in to disable streaming unless connected via wifi IMO
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

12th May 11 at 09:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yes, i have the .977 app and it hammers it!
Russ

12th May 11 at 09:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Robbo
shoudl be an option in tune-in to disable streaming unless connected via wifi IMO

settings > tune in > cellular data
Russ

12th May 11 at 09:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by IvIarkgraham
not listened to that in ages, turned it on the weekend and it had ryan seacrest presenting, i thought they didnt have dj's
Robbo

12th May 11 at 09:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Russ
quote:
Originally posted by Robbo

settings > tune in > cellular data
i knew some smart alec would come alogn and say that there is
Robbo

12th May 11 at 09:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

altho its not overly obvious just saying 'Cellular data'
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

12th May 11 at 09:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Russ
quote:
Originally posted by IvIarkgraham
not listened to that in ages, turned it on the weekend and it had ryan seacrest presenting, i thought they didnt have dj's

they dont usually i think they just have guest dj's time to time
Dom

12th May 11 at 10:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by _Allan_
It will hammer it. Good streams are 192Kbps a second. 45-60 secs will be about 1MB. Versus your 500MB allowance. 8 hours or so maybe but that is for music only, throw in browsing, apps, widgets etc....

As said it'll hammer it - 1 hrs worth @ 192Kbps is 86MB (~5hrs 50mins worth on a 500MB data cap). Saying that, most streams tend to be a lot less than 192k, ie: 32/64/128k at most, but even then at those bitrates it only adds a few hours.
If you want to listen to radio then either get a phone with a built in radio or change network/tariff to say GiffGaff where you have unlimited data (heard reports that they'll email you around the 20GB mark, never had anything myself, but even then that's ~230hrs/10 days solid usage at 192K ).
Brett
Premium Member

12th May 11 at 10:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Didn't realise GiffGaff was unlimited. Is that with a tenner topup tho?

EDIT: Just looked...

250 UK minutes
Unlimited UK texts
Unlimited Mobile Internet
Free calls and texts to giffgaffers

...For a tenner topup. Why the hell am I on O2 still?

[Edited on 12-05-2011 by loafofbrett]
Russ

12th May 11 at 11:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

uses o2 network, only downside
Brett
Premium Member

12th May 11 at 11:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Why's that? I'm on O2 and get full reception most places I go, so it seems like a winner to me.

Does it say O2 on the screen still then?

Robbo

12th May 11 at 11:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
quote:
Originally posted by _Allan_

As said it'll hammer it - 1 hrs worth @ 192Kbps is 86MB (~5hrs 50mins worth on a 500MB data cap). Saying that, most streams tend to be a lot less than 192k, ie: 32/64/128k at most, but even then at those bitrates it only adds a few hours.
If you want to listen to radio then either get a phone with a built in radio or change network/tariff to say GiffGaff where you have unlimited data (heard reports that they'll email you around the 20GB mark, never had anything myself, but even then that's ~230hrs/10 days solid usage at 192K ).
wont be for much longer if you keep tellign everyone about it
Dom

12th May 11 at 11:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by loafofbrett

250 UK minutes
Unlimited UK texts

Yeah, £10 gets you that tariff or Goodybag as they call it (Goodybags are separate to credit). There are some downsides - main one being that YOU have to top up, it won't apply a goodybag itself every month ie: similar to a rolling contract (you can however set it up so credit gets automatically added to your account if your credit goes below X pounds); once you run out of minutes you can't apply another goodybag (one goodybag per month), minutes then get taken from credit; it's an online network, so support is done through their website/forum; no tethering what so ever, sims can only be used in phones not tablets/3G dongles/MiFi's etc; no delivery reports due to an issue with the O2 network (GG have enabled a way around it though); no Blackberry/BIS support (not yet anyways).

On another note, they have 'PayBack' - helping out on the forums can earn you kudos which in turn makes you money and that gets paid out every 6 months either as credit (can't spend it on Goodybags unfortunately), sent to a PayPal account or paid into a bank account.

As said, there have been a few reports (just do a search on the forums) of people getting sent emails (basically telling them to calm it down) when they're reaching the 20GB usage in a month, but there isn't a hard cap on data.

It's not for everyone though so I’d recommend reading the forums, but I haven't had any problems and it's saved me a fortune (in fact it's starting to pay for itself due to the PayBack scheme) compared to previous tariffs/contracts.

Robbo - It's been mentioned a few times on their forums when it'll end, but you're not tied into anything so if they do start hard-capping the data then you can leave.

[Edited on 12-05-2011 by Dom]
Russ

12th May 11 at 11:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Why's that? I'm on O2 and get full reception most places I go, so it seems like a winner to me.

Does it say O2 on the screen still then?

o2 has a pretty shitty data network, i'm on o2 and reception is fine apart from at my house
Brett
Premium Member

12th May 11 at 12:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
Yeah, £10 gets you that tariff or Goodybag as they call it (Goodybags are separate to credit). There are some downsides - main one being that YOU have to top up, it won't apply a goodybag itself every month ie: similar to a rolling contract (you can however set it up so credit gets automatically added to your account if your credit goes below X pounds); once you run out of minutes you can't apply another goodybag (one goodybag per month), minutes then get taken from credit; it's an online network, so support is done through their website/forum; no tethering what so ever, sims can only be used in phones not tablets/3G dongles/MiFi's etc; no delivery reports due to an issue with the O2 network (GG have enabled a way around it though); no Blackberry/BIS support (not yet anyways).

On another note, they have 'PayBack' - helping out on the forums can earn you kudos which in turn makes you money and that gets paid out every 6 months either as credit (can't spend it on Goodybags unfortunately), sent to a PayPal account or paid into a bank account.

As said, there have been a few reports (just do a search on the forums) of people getting sent emails (basically telling them to calm it down) when they're reaching the 20GB usage in a month, but there isn't a hard cap on data.

It's not for everyone though so I’d recommend reading the forums, but I haven't had any problems and it's saved me a fortune (in fact it's starting to pay for itself due to the PayBack scheme) compared to previous tariffs/contracts.

Robbo - It's been mentioned a few times on their forums when it'll end, but you're not tied into anything so if they do start hard-capping the data then you can leave.

Sounds more than fine that. Shame I already ordered by just typing in their link. Didn't see your refferal URL.
A2H GO

12th May 11 at 12:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
quote:

250 UK minutes
Unlimited UK texts

This is what i'm going on next month when my 12 month contract ends. Already with Tesco which is 02, granted the Data signal is crap and hardly get 3g anywhere (round here at least) but value for money wise it can't be beaten (providing they dont bring in the hard cap they've been talking about for the last few months) and even the little dot on iPhone (GPS i think) is enough to update emails, facebook etc.

New Poll