corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » dual monitors on a desktop pc

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author dual monitors on a desktop pc
LeeM

User status: Offline
31st May 11 at 09:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

can i use my tv as a second screen? its got pc input so i can use it as a standalone, but would it be possible to use a 20" monitor and 40" tv as dual screens due to them being different sizes
would be handy for uni so i can use my tv to watch films while i still have the monitor available to use the computer
Brett
Premium Member

31st May 11 at 09:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Can't see why not. Each monitor's settings are configured individually anyway.
ed

31st May 11 at 09:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've done this before, worked just fine although as a TV is designed to be viewed from a distance the image isn't all that.
mwg

31st May 11 at 09:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah you can do. I do it with my laptop, have the TV showing football and laptop monitor showing other stuff.
LeeM

31st May 11 at 10:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

sweet, my desk is pretty big at uni so can have tv at one end and pc/monitor at the other.
think ill be using tvcatchup.com as well rather than an arial, saves paying a tv licence so if i can put internet explorer on my tv and word/other work on the monitor it would be good.
i really know next to fuck all about computers and what they can/cant do :lol;
Daniel_Corsa
Premium Member

31st May 11 at 10:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As long as you have a dual screen graphics card on your PC.

April '06' Corsasport Feature Car | Aug '08' Total Vauxhall Feature Car | Spring '09' Fast Car Feature Car
LeeM

31st May 11 at 10:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

right, well ive not bought one yet so how do i know the difference? am i probably best going into pc world or are the guys there going to be as useless as me?
Brett
Premium Member

31st May 11 at 10:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You don't even need a dual card, you can just stick in an additional single one and save money doing it that way as they're typically cheaper. Could get away with an older one and get setup for a fiver if you want to keep costs low.

[Edited on 31-05-2011 by loafofbrett]
ed

31st May 11 at 10:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Don't most graphics cards have two outputs these days anyway? Either way, it's a pretty simple thing to do and you can just drag your browser onto whatever desktop you like to watch TV on.

Word of warning though, technically you still need a TV licence to watch TV Catchup and iPlayer. Though I'm not sure how they'd catch you so it's up to you.
LeeM

31st May 11 at 10:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ed
Word of warning though, technically you still need a TV licence to watch TV Catchup and iPlayer. Though I'm not sure how they'd catch you so it's up to you.

technically yeah unless its a wireless device. but we used this method when my ex was at uni a couple of years ago and it went unnoticed
LeeM

31st May 11 at 10:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by loafofbrett
You don't even need a dual card, you can just stick in an additional single one and save money doing it that way as they're typically cheaper. Could get away with an older one and get setup for a fiver if you want to keep costs low.

not something id really feel confident doing with a new machine tbh
Brett
Premium Member

31st May 11 at 10:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Doesn't make a difference, but ok lol Can't be that hot a machine if it doesn't already have a dual setup, most recent cards have at least VGA/DVI I would've thought, which if you did already then all you'd need is a DVI>HDMI lead.

LeeM

2nd Jun 11 at 12:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

will this do it? what i want? http://www.lambda-tek.com/componentshop/index.pl?origin=gbase2.5&prodID=B447340

i know its probably more than the average user needs but i need to run solidworks as well

New Poll