corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Getting garage to supply a spare key when car is bought

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Getting garage to supply a spare key when car is bought
Mertin

User status: Offline
22nd Jun 11 at 10:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The other half just recently bought a corsa c from our local ford dealer. Once we got the car home we realised there wasnt a spare key with it. Being an 06 plate I thought surely they wouldve still had the spare. Whats the chances of the garage paying for a spare to be made? Going to phone later and ask if there is a spare or if it can be traced, and if not will they cover the cost of one
fazza

22nd Jun 11 at 10:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

im 90% sure that any trader by law is meant to supply atleast 2 keys for a car they sell.

I have been doing alot of buying and selling lately, and my old mans a vehicle locksmith. He told me and does work for local garages etc

worth an ask mate, will cost you in excess of £100 for a key that is programmed to your car
Brett
Premium Member

22nd Jun 11 at 10:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bit late in the day to be asking them tbh, should've been one of the terms when buying imo. Someone will probs turn up with the spare key and steal it anyway, so I wouldn't worry
Mertin

22nd Jun 11 at 11:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I did think about it when looking at it, then just thought they'll have the spare and we'll get it when we pick up the car then checked once we had the car. Aye I think its usually around the £100 mark for a key from a dealer
davieslim

22nd Jun 11 at 11:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

alot of dealers will tell you to order one yourself, if your going to get one make sure you have the wee code card in the service book as thats another £20-£30 so that they can get the code off
fazza

22nd Jun 11 at 12:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if you dont go main dealer and call a locksmith, any decent locksmith wont need the code and will just read the key.

Would make lives easier though if u have it
Mertin

22nd Jun 11 at 12:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Wont the key need some sort of chip to disarm the immobiliser, a locksmith wouldnt be capable of doing that? I know with the ibiza one key is a remote, the spare is just a normal key
fazza

22nd Jun 11 at 12:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

a vehicle locksmith can reprogram a new chip to go with the new key mate.

If you know the keycode from your service book, my old man could do it for you. would have to know reg and year etc to get you a price
Joe

22nd Jun 11 at 13:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Don't have to supply a spare by law..

Probably too late to ask now unless they have it sat there.
Gareth

22nd Jun 11 at 13:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

can remember when i bought a subaru previous owner kept the spare key alarm fob etc although liverpool police got it back for me in the end lol
Brett
Premium Member

22nd Jun 11 at 13:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Gareth
can remember when i bought a subaru previous owner kept the spare key alarm fob etc although liverpool police got it back for me in the end lol

Sounds like there's a story there...
Gareth

22nd Jun 11 at 13:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah its too long to type on my phone but can report back later as its quite interesting!
Brett
Premium Member

22nd Jun 11 at 13:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Please do
3CorsaMeal

22nd Jun 11 at 13:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i'll warn the internet
Bonney

22nd Jun 11 at 18:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I asked the dealer I got my seat off to get me a second key as part of the deal.
Jambo

22nd Jun 11 at 18:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If it goes missing I know of a 350z that can be on the M25 in minutes...
taylorboosh

22nd Jun 11 at 18:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

awaiting story
Gareth

22nd Jun 11 at 22:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Reporting back

I bought this impreza from a guy in warrington in around 2002 he told me he had swopped it with a guy in liverpool for a saff cossie. Think i paid £6500, had it for about 3 weeks then a local copper turned up at my house saying police in london are looking for it.

I shit myself thinking it was a ringer and was gonna lose £6500 so stashed it at a mates farm but the cops from london were cid and i had to be a witness for an investigation/court case. As it turned out an impreza had been car jacked in london and someone stabbed i think, they got the suspect with the keys but they never found the car. Apparently they contacted subaru UK who advised there were 5 imprezas in the country that had the exact same key. So these cid cops had to track down these other 4 imprezas then travel round the country to eliminate them as the keys they got on the suspect would fit the locks and ignition but the alarm immoboliser would be different. They needed this evidance in court so they could prove that the suspects keys were defo for the carjacked impreza.

Anyway liverpool cops must have turned up at the previous owners house asking about the impreza and keys because of the log book delay. I can only assume he shit it and handed over the spare keys so i went and collected them.

[Edited on 22-06-2011 by Gareth]
3CorsaMeal

22nd Jun 11 at 22:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cool story bro
Gareth

22nd Jun 11 at 22:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cheers i think lol
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Online
22nd Jun 11 at 22:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Same thing happened to me, my Astra only came with one key, I phone them up and told them I wanted two, got my local main dealer to make one and sent them the bill.

Cost £105 so don't pay yourself.
3CorsaMeal

22nd Jun 11 at 23:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

2 key or not 2 key?

Always worth asking
Mertin

23rd Jun 11 at 03:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

On the phone today, they checked the safe and phoned back 15 mins later and no spare present. Claimed for a basic spare cut wouldnt be much. Spoke to vauxhall and its around £125, only £15 or similar more for getting a remote key cut so not as little as the garage made out to be. Reckon il phone back and see what they say, mrs checked the manuals and no signs of a key code. Looks like an owner down the lines been a thicko and lost the manual folder with keys and key code as there just the manual and service book individually and no wallet. Lesson learned for future, ask about spare keys!
taylorboosh

23rd Jun 11 at 10:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You dont need to ask, they shouldve said so

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Getting garage to supply a spare key when car is bought 23 database queries in 0.0132551 seconds