corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » Spam calls

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Spam calls
John

User status: Offline
9th Jul 11 at 10:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

In the past couple of weeks I've been getting an increasing amount of spam calls to the house phone.

Worst was 3am one morning, rang 5 or 6 times in a row, each time just a series of beeps. (in my half woken state I thought it was a numbers station for some reason)

Just had one this morning, "good evening, we are from your service provider of the operating system of your computer, you need to turn your computer on".

I've signed up for TPS, only a week ago though.

Only a few places have my number, gas company etc, not signed up for anything. It doesn't show up on google, it's too frequent to be random diallers.

Anybody had this before? Anybody had to change a number with BT? I'm giving it a couple of weeks for TPS to kick in but after that I think something will need to be done.
Ben G

9th Jul 11 at 10:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

it will be a recycled number that some utter twat had before you.

get it changed.
Bonney

9th Jul 11 at 10:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They get your number from the companys you use selling your details to them, Everyone from the gas and electric companys, The banks and insurance companies do it!

Had a company call me 8 times in a day after i told them i didn't want their service. In the end I just picked the phone up and told them to f**k off and put it down.

Just signed up to the TPS, So hopefully I won't get as many of them.

Sam
Premium Member

9th Jul 11 at 12:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Takes about 30 days for the TPS to kick in IIRC.

You can also ask BT or whoever your landline is with to block witheld numbers as well, a lot of these jokers withold their number so you'll probably get rid of about 70% of these types of calls.
dannymccann

12th Jul 11 at 07:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Sam
Takes about 30 days for the TPS to kick in IIRC.

You can also ask BT or whoever your landline is with to block witheld numbers as well, a lot of these jokers withold their number so you'll probably get rid of about 70% of these types of calls.

Might try this, I have the same problem with my TalkTalk line, we only have it for internet and dont give it out to anyone (had it a year and only gave it to my mum last month), yet we get calls for Mr Alan Wood all the time, who apparently lives in Boston

Next call I get I am going to try and get all his personal information
Sam
Premium Member

12th Jul 11 at 08:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We're getting Sky in our new place next week and I discovered they charge £4/month to block withheld numbers, so I imagine other companies might also charge.

Not sure if you can get a landline phone that blocks them like how some mobiles can block certain numbers or whatever from calling you?
adiohead

12th Jul 11 at 08:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
Worst was 3am one morning, rang 5 or 6 times in a row, each time just a series of beeps. (in my half woken state I thought it was a numbers station for some reason)

Sound like a fax.

Plug in a fax machine and see what they send you
John

12th Jul 11 at 11:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Still happening, also had a phonecall from a bank now looking for somebody, think it's definitely been in use recently.

Don't really want to block withheld numbers either, people I want to speak to phone withheld, especially since I'm waiting for things to be delivered just now.

I could plug a fax in if I had one, might see if I can find an old fax modem.
bensterzback

12th Jul 11 at 11:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Need to look into this my self my mrs nearly gave her card details to some woman from bt for a bill ... When we have been with virgin for 5 years
adiohead

12th Jul 11 at 11:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by bensterzback
Need to look into this my self my mrs nearly gave her card details to some woman from bt for a bill ... When we have been with virgin for 5 years

women!
Sam
Premium Member

12th Jul 11 at 11:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Jesus wept
dannymccann

13th Jul 11 at 06:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by bensterzback

Is your missus 75 years old

New Poll