corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Any advice on how to get my tracking peoblem sorted

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Any advice on how to get my tracking peoblem sorted
rickish1

User status: Offline
12th Jul 11 at 17:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I took my car to get the tracking done today. And after five minutes I was told that there was no way they could do it. Where my car has been lowered so much. the track rod ends are srcewed on as far as possible But they need more threads or shorter track rod ends. Has anyone had this problem? If so how did they get over it?
AlexW

12th Jul 11 at 17:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Shorter bodied track rod ends would be wrong way?

You can get the rack arms cut, lenghted and sleeved, as long as they are welded well and a proper job is done, will be as strong as standard.
samshaw42

12th Jul 11 at 17:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

took my corsa to demon tweeks to get the tracking done but a few years ago dunno if they still do it
rickish1

12th Jul 11 at 17:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They told me shorter ones would pull it in, therefore straightening it up, but I dont know what ones would fit. How do you mean about welded up?
tintin

12th Jul 11 at 18:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm not overly familiar with the rack set up on a corsa but assumed they would be teh same as most Vauxhalls in as much as the rod end bolts to an adjuster bar which in turn attaches to the rack. Surely if that is the case there should be plenty of room for adjustment as it were?
rickish1

12th Jul 11 at 18:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's whativthought, but they did show me and there is no more room to wind them on anymore. There's gotbto be a simple way.
tintin

12th Jul 11 at 19:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

have the adjusters been wound evenly or just thrown together. It may be worth stripping them down and putting all back together again evenly.
danbo

12th Jul 11 at 19:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i have this problem mate
basically it will be opposite to what they said though the lower you go as mine is very low the more the fronts of the wheels point away from each other which is toe out. i did my own tracking but you'll have to unwind them to make the tracking longer each side not shorter pushing the rear of the wheel out so they straighten up, problem i had was i could not 'safely' as i saw it unwind them enough to get the tracking dead on straight although that isn't always what you want, because i didnt want to only leave the rod end attached to the track rod by only a few threads. i adjusted the camber abit and i have a little bit of toe out but i like it that way more than toe in.

I was thinking of getting some extensions made so the rod ends were longer somehow so there would be more tread to adjust for if i went even lower. also i had a spare older rod end and the body on that was longer than my current ones from vauxhall so that would give more adjustment but it was old and rusty so didnt use it

unless you do somehow have more toe in from lowering ? / \
danbo

12th Jul 11 at 19:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i also thought maybe i could put the rod end ball joints into the hub from underneath instead of from above like standard? anyone know if the would work

where am so low the angle of the track rod has changed alot. if it were in from underneath the angle would be straighter like standard and also be abit longer as the arc it would take means it gets further out towards the wheels the straighter it gets?
rickish1

12th Jul 11 at 22:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I do have toe in mate, major, had 2 new track rod ends put on and my tracking needed doing anyway, so it's just ball ache! Think cutting some threads off then re threading the tie rod end so it goes on more.
tintin

12th Jul 11 at 23:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by danbo
i also thought maybe i could put the rod end ball joints into the hub from underneath instead of from above like standard? anyone know if the would work

where am so low the angle of the track rod has changed alot. if it were in from underneath the angle would be straighter like standard and also be abit longer as the arc it would take means it gets further out towards the wheels the straighter it gets?

I'm pretty sure both the hub and track end thread are tapered and as such wont fit in from underneath.
AlexW

13th Jul 11 at 15:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You can drill them so they will fit up side down, There is a massive discussion about this on forums with regards to bump steer and the actual benefit of doing it.

Anyway, back to the OP. If its toe in, thats quite excessive, Must have bags of camber? But yeah, you can add a bit more thread on the rod each side, IIRC the flat sections to turn the rod are larger than the rod itself aswell so shouldn't be a issue.
danbo

13th Jul 11 at 21:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

oh right yer they are tapered didnt think of that. is the discussion on here?
and yer not sure how you got toe in unless like has been said you have loads of camber?
rickish1

13th Jul 11 at 22:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I do have a bit of camber, but all is sorted now, cut a crew threads off the track rod end so it could screw in to get it all right good job really. Nearly killed my tyre in 3days!

New Poll