corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Coolant bleeding help!

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Coolant bleeding help!
Norcy91

User status: Offline
   4th Aug 11 at 20:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Right, i've put a new coolant pipe on a Mk5 Astra 1.6 16V.

Is there a bleed screw on the system anywhere? I couldn't find one and i was advised there wasn't one as well

So i filled up the water, left the expansion tank cap off and started the engine. Waited for it to get warm and for both pipes going to the radiator to get warm. Now my problem... The water in the expansion tank started to boil, the fan never kicked in and it was starting to try boiling out of the expansion tank. These Astra's don't have a temperature gauge so i have no idea if the engines over heating? If the fan doesn't work? If i've messed up bleeding the system?

Someone please enlighten me on this please!
Eddx14xe

4th Aug 11 at 20:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the coolant will boil if you leave the cap off. The cooling system is under pressure and when water/coolant is under pressure it wont boil. If you remove the cap it is no longer under pressure and therefore will boil.
Norcy91

4th Aug 11 at 20:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I know that bit, but surely if you have to leave the cap off to bleed the system and to wait for it to get up to temperature it's going to boil. But don't i need the fan to kick in with the cap off the expansion tank?
Eddx14xe

4th Aug 11 at 20:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You only need to leave the cap off until the coolant has circulated around the system. Then put it back on, run the engine, makes sure all hoses get hot and the fan should come on.
Norcy91

4th Aug 11 at 21:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ahh right, well i'll try that tomorrow after work then! Cheers for the help

New Poll