corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » What was your first TV?

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author What was your first TV?
Toby
Premium Member

User status: Offline
9th Sep 11 at 06:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Had a 14inch portable from about 7, a 21inch portable thing at 11, a 28inch crt at 13, a 32inch crt at 16, a 32inch lcd at 18 (still got that) and a 42inch plasma at 20
sxibeast

9th Sep 11 at 06:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I got my first TV when i was 16. The rule in the house was GCSE's and decent grades first, then you get a TV. Seemed harsh at the time, but looking back was a good idea as it meant there was less of a distraction so ended up doing revision instead!

But i do remember it was a 14" Alba TV purcahsed from John Lewis. The remote gave up one day, so had to use the buttons on the front, but they were absolutely crap and fell off! 5 year warrenty from JL and got it replaced with the upgraded version with a Scart socket!
Ellis

9th Sep 11 at 07:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This weapon:

Still the only TV I have ever bought.
Carl

9th Sep 11 at 07:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My mum hords everything, if I go up in the loft i'll probably be able to get pictures of all my old tv's! I definitely remember having to twist a knob to change stations and having one that needed a good wack now and again to get the picture working properly!
DaveyLC

9th Sep 11 at 07:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Tiger
I had a black and white 12" hand me down TV that I used to sit on a chair in my bedroom when I was about 5, I could even get all 4 channels on its little round coathanger style aerial.

This was about 1985, it actually lost its picture when I was watching it and started smoking and that was the end of it, didnt have a tv for about 7 years after that!

Same really.. Big square black box with 3 knobs on the front and an aeriel on the top and some old retro brown cloth and stainless steel chair left over from the 70's We must have been sooo middle class
Tom

9th Sep 11 at 09:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Brett
My first TV was probably 20yrs ago now It was black & white and to change the channel you have to twist the tuner dial.

Something along the lines of this..

I remember when my mum and dad bought a top of the range VHS player which was amazing because it had a wired remote control

I had a similar TV, it was old when I got it in the mid 80s. VHS players were so big when they first came out, I rmember the first one we had, you had to press a button and the holder would lift out of the top of the box

John

9th Sep 11 at 09:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by sxibeast
I got my first TV when i was 16. The rule in the house was GCSE's and decent grades first, then you get a TV. Seemed harsh at the time, but looking back was a good idea as it meant there was less of a distraction so ended up doing revision instead!

But i do remember it was a 14" Alba TV purcahsed from John Lewis. The remote gave up one day, so had to use the buttons on the front, but they were absolutely crap and fell off! 5 year warrenty from JL and got it replaced with the upgraded version with a Scart socket!

I hope you got 100% in everything.
Balling
Premium Member

9th Sep 11 at 11:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Beovision 5500.

Amazing bit of kit. Remember that the light bulb in my room dimmed a bit when it was turned on and it took 2 - 3 minutes before the picture was completely sharp.

stuartmitchell

9th Sep 11 at 11:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ace thread

Mine was a Phillips with a visor that came down over the screen to stop it getting dusty and look cool

sxibeast

9th Sep 11 at 14:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
quote:
Originally posted by sxibeast

I hope you got 100% in everything.

No (well mainly A's and B's, a couple C's and one D), but did alot better than i expected!
stuartmitchell

9th Sep 11 at 14:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Tom
quote:
Originally posted by Brett
My first TV was probably 20yrs ago now It was black & white and to change the channel you have to twist the tuner dial.

Something along the lines of this..

I remember when my mum and dad bought a top of the range VHS player which was amazing because it had a wired remote control

I had a similar TV, it was old when I got it in the mid 80s. VHS players were so big when they first came out, I rmember the first one we had, you had to press a button and the holder would lift out of the top of the box

Beetamax

I remember having to "tune in" different videos and putting a bit of selotape across old videos to record something over the top Usually Turtles and Ghostbuster cartoons - good times
Tiger

10th Sep 11 at 11:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by stuartmitchell

I remember having to "tune in" different videos and putting a bit of selotape across old videos to record something over the top Usually Turtles and Ghostbuster cartoons - good times

I remember that so well! Or if you didnt want a younger sibling to record over it, you used to knock the little tab out of the same hole you had to selotape over as they'd never know how to get round it

[Edited on 10-09-2011 by Tiger]
dannymccann

10th Sep 11 at 17:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As I was born in '88 I didnt get my first TV till i was about 7 or 8, and it was a 10" Alba job or something, played my Mega Drive just fine tho

Upgraded to a 21" CRT Hitachi one Christmas which lasted for a good 10 years, it was on such last legs that it used to emit a constant high pitched whizzing sound whenever the picture on the TV had more white than any other colour

And I have never (seriously) recorded anything on a VCR, first time I've ever recorded anything was on my step dad's DVD recorder, or Sky+
stuartmitchell

12th Sep 11 at 12:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Tiger
quote:
Originally posted by stuartmitchell

I remember that so well! Or if you didnt want a younger sibling to record over it, you used to knock the little tab out of the same hole you had to selotape over as they'd never know how to get round it

[Edited on 10-09-2011 by Tiger]

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » What was your first TV? 24 database queries in 0.2626500 seconds