corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Polished Bliss®: Yamaha R6...

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Polished Bliss®: Yamaha R6...
BluKoo

User status: Offline
12th Sep 11 at 17:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As usual, all pictures and text are lifted from detailing world.
Also its not me doing the work. Its my brother, so I can't answer any detailing questions.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The owner of this R6 regularly has his other car done by us and wanted his bike to look equally as good so he left it with us for a few weeks so I could work on it at my leisure.

The detail took approx 2 full days when I totalled up the man hours.

So here it is on arrival:

The badges on the tank were to be replaced with new ones so I carefully removed them:

This left a bit of residue which Autosmart Tardis easily removed:

Using an open ended hose I then gave the bike a thorough rinse off to get rid of as much dust and grit as possible...

...Then applied APC to the front end to help the removal of the dead bugs:

Again using APC, the wheels/brakes/suspension/engine etc were cleaned with the various sized brushes:

After a good rinse off the bike was then washed with the 2BM...

...followed by another thorough rinse and then dried off with the Black Baron:

The paint gauge revealed that the paint was quite thin on this bike with the average readings being about 80/85 microns, however it was pretty hard so I needed Menzerna 3.02 and a light cut pad with the rotary to achieve the desired level of correction.

Here's a before and after of where there was a small area suffering from sanding marks which were previously hidden by the badges:

If you look closely on the right hand picture you'll see a slightly blurred reflection where the finish had been ridged during the sanding process. The new badges would hide this so it would be daft to go any further to try and improve this.

The general swirling wasn't too bad but I was still a bit surprised I needed the cut of 3.02 to remove everything:

Afters:

The finish from the 3.02 was LSP ready as you can see so after a wee bit of dusting down I cleansed the paint with Swissvax Cleaner Fluid and then waxed with Crystal Rock:

The wheels were done with Swissvax Autobahn and all the matt finishes were protected with Swissvax Opaque after being cleaned with the Opaque cleaner.

Opaque Cleaner being applied:

The finish left from the Opaque Wax:

New badges applied :thumb:

And here's the end result

Thanks for looking
sand-eel

12th Sep 11 at 17:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thats prob more of a PITA to clean than a car with all the places and oil everywhere.
Graeme
Premium Member

12th Sep 11 at 17:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by sand-eel
Thats prob more of a PITA to clean than a car with all the places and oil everywhere.

Very much doubt there is oil everywhere unless the bike has a serious problem.

Personally dont see the point, a normall wash by the guy who owns it would of been more than enough.

FAZ
Premium Member

12th Sep 11 at 18:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thats a lovely blue colour
alan-g-w

12th Sep 11 at 18:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Graeme
quote:

Personally dont see the point, a normall wash by the guy who owns it would of been more than enough.

assuming you're being serious - does that mean that everyone who takes their car to their local immigrants for a wash falls in the same bracket?

I can't believe people are still moaning about the guy doing it. I think it's top notch work, doesn't logically make sense to do or pay for - but I'd still get it done if I had enough cash to not notice the money leaving my account
Bonney

12th Sep 11 at 18:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Would love mine to get that treatment, Saying that mine isn't in as bad of a state as it was before!
Graham88

12th Sep 11 at 20:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's cool, a normal wash would not have got all the grit off. I 'normal wash' my bike and it still looks dirty in all the suspension compenents, engine etc. Just can't be arsed to clean it properly as it gets used properly. Looks like new though
Graeme
Premium Member

12th Sep 11 at 20:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by alan-g-w
quote:
quote:

assuming you're being serious - does that mean that everyone who takes their car to their local immigrants for a wash falls in the same bracket?

I can't believe people are still moaning about the guy doing it. I think it's top notch work, doesn't logically make sense to do or pay for - but I'd still get it done if I had enough cash to not notice the money leaving my account

Its the way the pics are taken and trying to make out its really dirty. A simple wash would of been more than enough. As soon as the person rides it, it will be just as dirty and then it will be scratched just in same areas due to wear from the rider.

Dont see why a simple wash, polsih and wax would do.
Graeme
Premium Member

12th Sep 11 at 20:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Graham88
That's cool, a normal wash would not have got all the grit off. I 'normal wash' my bike and it still looks dirty in all the suspension compenents, engine etc. Just can't be arsed to clean it properly as it gets used properly. Looks like new though

I use muc off on all my bikes and that does the job well. Or get a good de greasor.
Rich H

12th Sep 11 at 20:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bikes do take as long if not longer than cars imo - I get asked from time to time by clients who have both cars and bikes. I hate doing bikes lol. Partly because they do nothing for me, and partly because they are so fiddly.

Had several people try negotiating quoted prices for bikes too as they can't understand why it costs as much as a car
baza31

12th Sep 11 at 21:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by alan-g-w
quote:
quote:

I agree but each to their own. Ideal if selling or showing etc but an hour doing it yourself would be ample before a ride . I can understand it on supercars etc but spending £400 or whatever seems ott .

Its the way the pics are taken and trying to make out its really dirty. A simple wash would of been more than enough. As soon as the person rides it, it will be just as dirty and then it will be scratched just in same areas due to wear from the rider.

Dont see why a simple wash, polsih and wax would do.
Ingham
Banned

12th Sep 11 at 21:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I cleaned my bike the other week real good. Shame it's a piece of shit. Can't polish a turd and all that.

And no that's not tyre shine on my wheels, might be northern but not that thick.
Haimsey
Premium Member

12th Sep 11 at 22:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looks good afterwards that

Marcy Marc

White Sport Progress Thread
sand-eel

12th Sep 11 at 22:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I mean oil as in around the crankcase swing arm from the chain oil n ting.
As with my bike it is an arse trying to get in there without taking things off.
mtpagey

13th Sep 11 at 12:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Great results as always from the guys up north

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Polished Bliss®: Yamaha R6... 24 database queries in 0.0132651 seconds