corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » will earthing my battery to the shell of the car increase rust due to electricity flowing through it

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author will earthing my battery to the shell of the car increase rust due to electricity flowing through it
sparcost3

User status: Offline
26th Sep 11 at 20:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hi, i have re located my battery in the boot and my mate got rid of the earth cable and earthed it directly in the boot and in the engine bay cutting off the direct earth cable from the engine loom to the battery in his track car and i was going to do the same until my dad said i may cause the car to rust because of the electricity running through the shell? is this true or is it fine to earth the battery to the shell instead of a second cable?

cheers ste
dan-sport

26th Sep 11 at 20:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its earthed to the shell as standard mate, theres a small stubby one that goes to the bulkhead
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Online
26th Sep 11 at 20:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As posted, shell is already earth. Can't see it making any difference at all.
sparcost3

26th Sep 11 at 20:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yes i know, but when i moved the battery to the boot i ran a cable down for both battery terminals, now i have tried to tidy up the wiring and just wondered if it would speed up the rust process running the electrical current throughout the full length of the car rather than a cable, it wouldnt have been as big of a problem when the battery was in the engine bay as you say it would only be earthing a few inches from the battery
Steve
Premium Member

26th Sep 11 at 20:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i dont mean to be rude but im not quite exactly what on earth you are on about
sand-eel

26th Sep 11 at 20:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you attach electricity to a car the electricity goes everywhere no matter where the cable is attached.
sparcost3

26th Sep 11 at 20:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ok i think that pretty much sums it up that it should be ok, i just got worried because my dad seemed to think it would speed up rusting and some 1 on the internet said it reacts with the metal and leaves white powder
ianofbhills

26th Sep 11 at 22:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think your dad maybe remembering when cars used to have the earth fitted to the positive side of the battery which caused galvanic corrosion.
All cars are negative earth now because of this, as stated where you fit the earthing lead wont make any diff.

New Poll