corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » Financing a car - what are my options?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Financing a car - what are my options?
Tom

User status: Offline
14th Sep 11 at 13:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thought this would get a better quality response in here I haven't looked at financing a car for years so need some help please.....

I'm currently driving a battered old vectra which is going to start costing me money to fix sooner rather than later. I have just had a decent payrise (which got me thinking about this) which equates to about £160 extra per month and i'm not that far off paying off my final 'young n stupid' loan which is around £130 per month. I'm thinking I can afford to throw about £200 per month at a new car (preferrably a bit less). My credit rating is at an all time high and my earnings are too so I think I should be ok for a loan or car finance.

I'm wondering what is the best thing to do in the next few months, considering dealers don't like taking cash and I will want to chop in my old Vectra on the deal? I do about 800 miles per month so looking for something newish with half decent MPG and low-ish miles. I don't/won't have much of a deposit so wondered what people thought my best options are:

A. Get finance from a dealer and throw in my current shed?
B. Get a personal loan and either buy private or from a dealer (with or without shed p/x)?
C. Go and get a brand new car (ford options kind of thing, will this require a big deposit)
D. Lease something for 2/3 years (again will I need a deposit)?

If I get a loan over 7k I can get a rate of about 8% = £220ish over 3 years. Assume similar finance deals can be had from dealers?

I would love a MK6 Golf GTI if i'm honest, but if I can get the right deal on something less flashy I would have to consider it.

[Edited on 14-09-2011 by Tom]
Ben G

14th Sep 11 at 15:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ford finance is 4.9% iirc.

sainsburys are currently doing 6.3% apr on loans over £7500.

get a new car from ford if you want something slow, like my fiesta. doesn't require a big deposit, mine was £99 and i pay £132 p.m over 2 years.

otherwise buy a used motor (2-3 years old) and take the sainsburys loan which i currently the best on the market iirc.

[Edited on 14-09-2011 by Ben G]
Daniel_Corsa
Premium Member

14th Sep 11 at 15:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

0% credit card, buy car pay off monthly as much as possible, after 0% period do a balance transfer onto another 0% card.

Obviously depends how much you want to spend and the amount would let you put on a card.

If you do this don't go silly, try aim to pay it off before 0% expires. Current deals of 12-14 months on purchases.

April '06' Corsasport Feature Car | Aug '08' Total Vauxhall Feature Car | Spring '09' Fast Car Feature Car
John

14th Sep 11 at 15:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You'd never get a full mk6 gti on a credit card and I've still not found a garage that will take one as payment.
AndyKent

14th Sep 11 at 16:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd like to see you get a new/nearly new GTi for under £200 a month! Think there's a bit of a gap between your expectations and ability to pay tbh.

Plus you'd want a hefty deposit to cut out the chance of negative equity.
Cavey

14th Sep 11 at 17:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not a golf, but Vauxhall currently have 5 years interest free credit on 61 regs iirc
Tom

15th Sep 11 at 08:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AndyKent
I'd like to see you get a new/nearly new GTi for under £200 a month! Think there's a bit of a gap between your expectations and ability to pay tbh.

Plus you'd want a hefty deposit to cut out the chance of negative equity.

Sorry, probably wasn't clear enough. I would like a Mk5 golf GTI, which can be had for around £7500 which I would probably get a loan for/get finance from a dealers. My other options would be something newer and more sensible/less desirable.

Ben, when you say you paid £99 deposit and £132 PM over 2 years, is that pure options (as in limited milage allowance, hand it back after 2 years)? What could I get for £200 on a similar deal?

I don't think paying on a credit card is the way to go tbh, looking for something with longer and more stable terms!
Ben G

15th Sep 11 at 13:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah thats the options deal where i can either give it back after 2 years, trade it in after 9 months or sell privately after 12 months.

i paid £3 extra per month to up the mileage from 6k to 9k.

£200 will only get you a new fiesta really with a low deposit. mine was only priced up at £8k because it was a special deal for people who worked at a specific ford plant.
Mertin

16th Sep 11 at 09:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Vauxhall are currently doing 0% finance, no deposit required and 100,000mile warranty. Maybe worth checking out unless your set on a golf?
Plus with your budget, you may end up having to go for a cheaper / higher mileage golf and may experience problems and not have warranty resulting in an expensive fix. For doing high miles Id want to get a low mileage car and preferably with alot of warranty
Tom

16th Sep 11 at 12:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ben G
yeah thats the options deal where i can either give it back after 2 years, trade it in after 9 months or sell privately after 12 months.

i paid £3 extra per month to up the mileage from 6k to 9k.

£200 will only get you a new fiesta really with a low deposit. mine was only priced up at £8k because it was a special deal for people who worked at a specific ford plant.

Thanks for that Ben, so it's a new Fiesta on options then inmy budget... might rule that one out now!

quote:
Originally posted by Mertin
Vauxhall are currently doing 0% finance, no deposit required and 100,000mile warranty. Maybe worth checking out unless your set on a golf?
Plus with your budget, you may end up having to go for a cheaper / higher mileage golf and may experience problems and not have warranty resulting in an expensive fix. For doing high miles Id want to get a low mileage car and preferably with alot of warranty

You're doing a good job of talking me out of a mk5 gti Sensible option would probably be a TDI mk5. I'm really not keen on any of the current budget vauxhalls.
whitter45

16th Sep 11 at 12:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

PCP's are good if you want a new car - other than that its pointless TBH

The VXR was on a PCP and for us it cost very little due to its high value at the end.

I bought it outright and then sold it.

So for 2 years of ownership it cost 2.5k
Tom

16th Sep 11 at 14:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is HP on a used car any good? As in smallish deposit, monthly amount and then no balloon payment at the end? Anyone used these and got decent rates?
Mertin

16th Sep 11 at 16:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The new vauxhall astra GTC is on the deal too.

dan_m1les

21st Sep 11 at 14:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We can do any new vauxhall on 0% between 2-5 years with no deposit, vauxhall also give you a £750.00 deposit to help you out.

VXR corsa on PCP at the moment is £749 down then £249 a month for 2 years
Tom

3rd Oct 11 at 09:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by dan_m1les
We can do any new vauxhall on 0% between 2-5 years with no deposit, vauxhall also give you a £750.00 deposit to help you out.

That's pretty decent, how much balloon payment at the end?
pow
Premium Member

3rd Oct 11 at 09:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by dan_m1les

I really must come and see you sometime soon...

New Poll