corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » Weekly Bin Collections

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Weekly Bin Collections
dannymccann

User status: Offline
30th Sep 11 at 06:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-15118516

Am I the only one who is annoyed at this pointless waste of money? At a time when service people (army/police/hospital etc) are being lost left right and centre the government thinks spending £250m taking away people's shit is a good thing...

I am basing my opinion on us as a 2 person + dog household. We have fortnightly bin and recycling collections, and nothing overflows. Obviously if you have a baby (nappies etc) I can understand having more rubbish, but for the vast majority I think people are just chucking stuff away because they have bought too much, or it could have been recycled?

Am I off the mark here or what?
Sam
Premium Member

30th Sep 11 at 07:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I don't know what the recycling services are like where you are but here (Dudley Council) there are certain things that they won't recycle such as plastic bottles and cardboard.

If councils improved on what householders could recycle, less landfill waste would result and people won't have a problem at fortnightly bin collections.

Other family members that live in neighbouring council areas which do recycle more things don't have as much landfill waste as us, so I guess I've proven my point there really.

We do try and save up a lot of our non-recycleable things to give to them for their recycling bins but we don't see them all the time and TBH we shouldn't have to do this anyway considering the money we have to pay in council tax each month FFS.
John

30th Sep 11 at 08:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Another reason to stay in Scotland, we get them collected every week anyway.
Conway563

30th Sep 11 at 08:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by dannymccann
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-15118516

Am I the only one who is annoyed at this pointless waste of money? At a time when service people (army/police/hospital etc) are being lost left right and centre the government thinks spending £250m taking away people's shit is a good thing...

I am basing my opinion on us as a 2 person + dog household. We have fortnightly bin and recycling collections, and nothing overflows. Obviously if you have a baby (nappies etc) I can understand having more rubbish, but for the vast majority I think people are just chucking stuff away because they have bought too much, or it could have been recycled?

Am I off the mark here or what?

I don't even think that's an issue TBH. I've got 2 kids, 1 of who is still in nappies and our bin is only ever 1/2 full when it gets collected every 2 weeks. Generally we empty the kitchen bin once a week, the food bin once a week and a carrier bag for the bedroom/bathroom bins every 2 weeks.
I think the scrapping of use by dates will have a much better effect on reducing waste than emptying bins more often

[Edited on 30-09-2011 by Conway563]
Cavey

30th Sep 11 at 12:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Rotating them between Black bin and Recycling bin weekly makes people recycle as well, as otherwise they're gonna have an overflowing black bin.

Collecting all 3 every week is just ridiculous.

Sam.... they won't recycle plastic bottles or cardboard?!? WTF, surely they're the 2 things that are easiest to recycle? That's stupid.

iirc Derby CC are/were actually one of the best in the country for percentage of waste that is recycled, probably why we've never had any problems with the bins
Pop

30th Sep 11 at 13:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We have the bins, recycling and green waste picked up every week already.
Ben G

30th Sep 11 at 13:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

most of the time i only put the green bin out as the recycling one is only a little bit filled and the brown one has nothing in.

it's a joke, although weekly collections are needed at xmas definitely.
Sam
Premium Member

30th Sep 11 at 14:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Cavey
Rotating them between Black bin and Recycling bin weekly makes people recycle as well, as otherwise they're gonna have an overflowing black bin.

Collecting all 3 every week is just ridiculous.

Sam.... they won't recycle plastic bottles or cardboard?!? WTF, surely they're the 2 things that are easiest to recycle? That's stupid.

iirc Derby CC are/were actually one of the best in the country for percentage of waste that is recycled, probably why we've never had any problems with the bins

Yeah I know it's stupid! I think they said it was something to do with whatever company they contract the recycling to not being able to take plastics and cardboard.
Bonney

30th Sep 11 at 20:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We have our general rubbish collected every week, Recycling box and bags (Paper, Glass, Plastic bottles) and green bins (Garden waste) collected fortnightly.
Eddx14xe

1st Oct 11 at 00:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ours is every other week. E.g week 1 is black bin, week 2 is green bin, week 3 is black bin etc etc. We have a family of 4 and a dog. Ours gets full but we have never had a problem with it over flowing. I dont see the need for it apart from holidays like christmas.
Brett
Premium Member

1st Oct 11 at 11:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not read the link, but it annoys the shit out of me that ours are every 2 weeks, always have to take bags to the tip on the second week.
fazza

1st Oct 11 at 11:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Bonney
We have our general rubbish collected every week, Recycling box and bags (Paper, Glass, Plastic bottles) and green bins (Garden waste) collected fortnightly.

same here, and suits me fine

general rubbish bin is always full. I could probably recycle more than I do though. Ours wont take glass though which is fucking daft
nick_sri

2nd Oct 11 at 01:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

good to hear our black bin only gets collected once a fortnight , end up with extra rubbish and the bin men wont even pick it up
Dan
Premium Member

2nd Oct 11 at 06:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Luckily, we have 2 of each bin. They were here when we moved in for some reason.

If we had one of each we would be fucked everyweek.

We dont get garden waste bins, just the rubbish/recycling (which only takes paper and plastic bottles, no lids)

Adult GiftsClick here to vist us
Dave

2nd Oct 11 at 08:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ours are collected alternate weeks and it seems to work ok. We have a grey bin for regular waste, a brown one for glass/plastic/cans and two boxes, one for card and one for paper. Both bins are large which helps and the brown recycling one is a great idea, we used to have to separate those and that was a pain, plastic bottles went in a plastic bag and just used to end up all over the place on bin day.
Matty SRi

2nd Oct 11 at 20:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ours gets emptied every week and recyling is fortnightly.
I throw everything in the main bin and dont mess about with recycling etc and ours has never overflowed or anything.
dannymccann

3rd Oct 11 at 06:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Matty SRi
Ours gets emptied every week and recyling is fortnightly.
I throw everything in the main bin and dont mess about with recycling etc and ours has never overflowed or anything.

This is a terrible attitude to have. I'm not an eco-mentalist but it's one little thing to help the greater good...
AndyKent

3rd Oct 11 at 08:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Each to their own.

Back with my mum I always split easy stuff like cardboard, newspaper and bottles, but like fuck am I going to stand there washing out tin cans or whatever.

Was quite surprised when I moved into my flat though that they don't provide recycling bins per household. We get one black (regular) bin each, and one recycling bin between 5 flats.

They all get emptied once a week, recycling included, but it usually gets to the point theres so much to be recycled you have to dump stuff into the black bins to make sure the orange isn't overflowing.
Matty SRi

3rd Oct 11 at 12:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AndyKent
Each to their own.

Back with my mum I always split easy stuff like cardboard, newspaper and bottles, but like fuck am I going to stand there washing out tin cans or whatever.

exactly, I'm not going to mess about with it all when I can put it all in 1 bin. Town centres dont bother putting recycling bins out, everyone just puts rubbish into the same bin, so why should I be different?
John

3rd Oct 11 at 12:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's easy to split normal rubbish from cans, paper and plastic, no messing about really.

Washing out cans would be messing about though, I won't be doing that.
Ben G

3rd Oct 11 at 12:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i didn't used to recycle stuff, now i just recycle the cardboard stuff and bottles.

like fuck am i going to stand there washing tins more fool you if you waste your life doing something that someone gets paid to do at a recycling factory.
pow
Premium Member

3rd Oct 11 at 12:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I just wash them out and put them in the recycling... they all get bleached 'back at base' anyway
scottyp1989

3rd Oct 11 at 14:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

sandwell council collect normal rubbish every week, then recycling (garden waste one bin, plastics/carboard another) get collected every other week

New Poll