corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Building a PC

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Building a PC
daymoon
Premium Member

User status: Offline
14th Nov 11 at 14:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Seeing as my laptop is kinda old and can't upgrade much hardware within it, decided to build my own PC.

Where is the best place to buy mother board+CPU bundles? not too bothered if it comes with RAM or not as they are cheap enough on their own.

Also what CPU would you lot recommend? PC would be mainly be used for doing some software development with Visual Studio 2010, little gaming ( like WRC 2010 )..

Budget wise I want to spend about 200-250 on mother board bundle and video card.
Gary
Premium Member

14th Nov 11 at 15:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Buy a pre built. Tend to be cheaper

Try cclonline
N3CRO

14th Nov 11 at 15:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Overclockers.
Russ

14th Nov 11 at 15:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Scan 3xs
Dom

14th Nov 11 at 16:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not a huge budget to play with, but for £250 i'd look at the AMD bundle on OCuk (£140) which will leave you enough for a ATI 6850/6870 or a Nvidia GTX 450/460. Obviously that is only for the motherboard, CPU and graphics card. You'd still need to spend a bit of a decent, quality PSU + DDR3 Ram and harddrives/case/optical drives etc if you need them.
For an intel bundle, you're looking at another £100 ontop (£250) just for for an i5 motherboard/cpu bundle.

As for pre-built, you're not going to get much of a system for £250.

quote:
Originally posted by Russ
Scan 3xs

Apparently good bundles, DannyB was looking at them, but the cheapest bundle is £360 but it does include 4GB DDR3 - http://3xs.scan.co.uk/ShowSystem.asp?SystemID=1202

[Edited on 14-11-2011 by Dom]
Sam
Premium Member

14th Nov 11 at 16:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Motherboard - anything ASRock/Gigabyte is good, make sure it supports DDR3 memory.

CPU - anything that is at least a dual core processor. Stay away from shit processors like the Intel Celeron and AMD Sempron.

With your sort of budget I'd recommend an Intel Pentium CPU (socket 1155) or something like an AMD Athlon II X2/X4 CPU.

RAM - DDR3 1333 memory will be fine.

Graphics card - depends on what sort of games you want to play. 1GB PCI Express cards can be had for as cheap as £30 these days for example, but they tend to be bottom-mid range cards and won't be brilliant with all 3D games - basically the more you spend on a card the better spec it would be.
DannyB
Premium Member

14th Nov 11 at 19:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I reccomend Scan if you want to spend a bit more money, but if you just want an average desktop you may aswell buy pre built for that sort of budget. That budget isnt much really if you want to buy them parts on their own. My bundle is coming in at just over £500 that's just the main components though, no sound card, graphics card, PSU etc.

I can't reccomend scan enough though, used them for years and their customer service is top notch, fast delivery too.
daymoon
Premium Member

15th Nov 11 at 01:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not worried about HDD or optical drive.

Not getting a fancy case, it will just collect dust anyway.

http://www.dabs.com/products/asus-intel-performance-bundle--inc--p8h61-m-lx2-motherboard--intel-core-i3-2100---4gb-ddr3-memory--7J0Z.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=product+search&utm_content=Q200

seems cheap?
daymoon
Premium Member

15th Nov 11 at 14:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/motherboardbundles/mbb-i32124.html

or this?
N3CRO

15th Nov 11 at 16:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Neither of them sound too bad tbh.
I'd go for the Asus one personally although I don't know much about Novatech.

[Edited on 15-11-2011 by TheNobleOne]
Russ

15th Nov 11 at 16:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not fussed about hdd? As in u already have one? Or not wanting a fancy one?
daymoon
Premium Member

15th Nov 11 at 17:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Russ
Not fussed about hdd? As in u already have one? Or not wanting a fancy one?

I would either take one out of my laptop (SATA connection) or take the one my dad just replaced in his PC.
He upgraded the DVD driver in favour of Blue-ray writer so I will have that. I don't have the need for any more than 160GB hard drive anyway so even if I have to buy one they are not mega money.
Dom

15th Nov 11 at 17:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by TheNobleOne
Neither of them sound too bad tbh.
I'd go for the Asus one personally although I don't know much about Novatech.

[Edited on 15-11-2011 by TheNobleOne]

Didn't realise places where still selling i3's but it's a foxconn board from the the images and Novatech aren't too bad of a company. But out of those two deals, i'd opt for the Asus just because of the components. Although saying that, neither bundle price is all that as you can price up something similar yourself - ie: i3 2120 + a Gigabyte board + 4GB XMS3 for £168 @ scan (reckon you could knock a bit more off if you shopped).
daymoon
Premium Member

15th Nov 11 at 18:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I thought i3's where recently released?

Dom

15th Nov 11 at 18:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by daymoon
I thought i3's where recently released?

They are intel's 'budget' processors and i thought they had stopped manufacture of them but obviously not

New Poll